Back around July 1991, there was a lightning incident at the stone hut on the very summit of Mount Whitney (the highest place in the U.S. lower 48 states). Tragically, one person was killed outright and others were injured. Still others in the room were not seriously injured, and they had to wait out one night before they were evacuated by helicopter. In the process of that, they noticed that their feet hurt, so some started removing their boots and socks. They discovered that the synthetic socks were melted onto the skin of their feet. There was such a tremendous electrical surge this way, even beside the fatality and injuries.
Think about that on the next time that you are pulling on synthetic socks for your next trip.
Incidentally, the park service realized the error of its ways, and there was a work team sent up to the summit very quickly to do a proper lightning grounding system for the hut. I hiked up to the summit about one week later to discover all of the new grounding rods, cables, and straps. It was a textbook installation. Just too bad that it couldn't have been there prior to the incident. Hey, this is your federal tax dollars at work!