Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Titanium Bike Spokes For Tent Stakes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Locale: New Hampshire
Titanium Bike Spokes For Tent Stakes on 06/29/2013 08:50:26 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever tried using titanium bike spokes for tent stakes? I know there's some pretty skimpy stakes out there like the terra nova ones, and bike spokes would let you determine the length. Plus, they already have a bend and flange to catch the guyline. I'm going to give it a shot and post the results!

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Titanium Bike Spokes For Tent Stakes on 06/29/2013 09:13:44 MDT Print View

am awed ...

(great idea)

v.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Titanium Bike Spokes For Tent Stakes on 06/29/2013 09:22:26 MDT Print View

I have only used them in a cook kit. They could only be pushed into the ground maybe.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: Titanium Bike Spokes For Tent Stakes on 06/29/2013 09:58:11 MDT Print View

Let us know how they work out. It seems like they would be impossible to use in hard ground. They seem like they would be pretty noodley. Maybe you could carry one more substantial stake to create a hole for the spoke to go in, where the ground is too hard or rocky.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Titanium Bike Spokes For Tent Stakes on 06/29/2013 10:45:22 MDT Print View

i agree that they will probably be pretty wimpy. plus they are probably more expensive than the ones from Lawson, Gossomer or whoever else has them. the j bend on spokes is not very tight and doesn't give you much to push on or the guyline to hold.

Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Locale: New Hampshire
Cost on 06/29/2013 11:20:51 MDT Print View

Waaay less expensive than conventional titanium tent stakes. Plus you can get two stakes out of 300mm spoke.