Forum Index » GEAR » Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/27/2013 23:05:46 MDT Print View

Does this exist?

I'm looking for a raincoat for my hands. A waterproof/breathable rain mitten that has a Windstopper layer, or is reasonably windproof. I will pay more if I have to, but I would love something like the old Marmot Precip mitts (Which I can no longer find.)

Any tips?

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Zpacks on 06/28/2013 06:27:04 MDT Print View

Zpacks WPB cuben mitts

Edited to add that, unlike the MLD mitts, the Zpacks ones are waterproof right out of the box. That was what made the decision for me as to which ones to purchase

Edited by 7sport on 06/28/2013 08:47:02 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/28/2013 06:28:52 MDT Print View

Max,

I would look at Mld events offering.

Dharma Dog
(DharmaDog)

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp
Re: Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/28/2013 06:49:52 MDT Print View

These are the best...

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/28/2013 07:09:21 MDT Print View

Extrimities Tuff Bags

Halofs Gram Shell

Lukes Ultralight has some too

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/28/2013 08:05:49 MDT Print View

+1 on the MLD eVENT Rain Mitts - my review is here.

Edited by JohnAbela on 06/28/2013 08:06:40 MDT.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Re: Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/28/2013 08:13:41 MDT Print View

For $19 these are a real bargain:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5020-728/mec-cloudraker-mitts-unisex/

Dan Durston lent me these when my thin fingerless paddling gloves weren't proving to be adequate during our Pukaskwa packrafting adventure last month. The gloves seemed great, I just picked up a pair myself.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50? on 06/28/2013 08:22:53 MDT Print View

CAMP Windmit'n - 15 grams for the pair, windproof but not necessarily waterproof, but only $30. Those are the cheapest ones I've seen.

I actually keep a couple of dog-poo bags in my hipbelts to use as impromptu windshells or shoe liners. They last long enough for one trip and are free to replace when they wear out (just swing by your local dog-park or Petsmart parking lot). Admittedly they leave something to be desired in the fit and breathability departments. But a rubber band works well to keep them in place and are similarly free if you work in an office. They pair well with my Driducks rain jacket for just-in-case rain protection. If I knew I was going to be spending prolonged time in the rain I'd take a real rainjacket and pony up for a decent pair of shells from MLD or Zpacks.

Adam

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
MEC Cloudraker on 06/28/2013 11:41:30 MDT Print View

Yeah the MEC Cloudraker mitts are great if you're looking for an affordable shell. All the weight is in the shell materials, so it's as durable as it can be for weight. Tough to argue with $19 - just go a size down because they're sized for winter layering. I'm normally a medium and a small is plenty big on me.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Nice! on 06/28/2013 12:27:50 MDT Print View

I like those MLD E-Vent mitts! Those look perfect! Thanks, everyone!