California Fire Restrictions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Monatauk Gnat on 07/11/2013 19:47:22 MDT Print View

This tiny cannister stove has no piezo. How do you light that sucker? Would that be considered a bad idea, since you have to have an open flame to light it?

What's the lightest cannister stove with on-board piezo?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Monatauk Gnat on 07/11/2013 19:50:03 MDT Print View

Just use the spark wheel and don't depress the gas button on your lighter. Set up on rock or mineral soil to minimize risk.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Extremes on 07/11/2013 20:10:36 MDT Print View

I talked to a pretty lady last week on my hike into the Trinity Alps. She said she had to come to California to get away from the snow, there was still lots of snow in Oregon where she lived.
Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
ESBIT smell :o(~ on 07/11/2013 22:11:45 MDT Print View

Duane,

I hear you about the smell of ESBIT tabs. For cooking I can take it.

Foe transporting ESBIT I have had to put the ZipLoc Freezer Bag of ESBIT tabs in a used coffee bag that has a laminate of aluminum foil. This seems to work very well (and for carrying cooked turkey bacon).

You and I and most BPLers here could cook in dry forest conditions with an ESBIT stove and not start a conflagaration because we are cautious in our site choice, site prep and stove use. But the BLM, USFS and park officials know we are not "Joe 6 Pack". They make the regs for "Joe 6 Pack", not us.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Re: SEKI on 07/12/2013 12:15:52 MDT Print View

Email from SEKI Wilderness Office says alcohol & esbit are allowed under current, stage 2 fire restrictions.

Michael Matiasek
(matiasek) - F - M
Inconsistencies on 07/12/2013 12:23:52 MDT Print View

Wow it is amazing how inconsistent the interpretations are, even within the same forest.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Inconsistencies on 07/12/2013 12:40:56 MDT Print View

"Wow it is amazing how inconsistent the interpretations are, even within the same forest."

One national forest might have several districts, and each district office might manage things differently based on different conditions. Worse, some of the people in the district offices interpret rules and definitions differently.

In one office, I was told two completely conflicting answers to my fire questions, and that was within five minutes. So, they had a management problem.

--B.G.--

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Re: Re: Inconsistencies on 07/12/2013 14:09:06 MDT Print View

I don't think it's districts, it's opinions among staff that vary. I called desolation yesterday like Duane and the nice lady - did not ask for her name (would not hang her out to dry anyway) said that Alcohol stoves were okay. It fell under contained fuel I think, anyway, different interpretations for sure. It's summer. It's hot and dry. I'll schlep the 2 oz. Snow Peak Lite Max this time.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Re: Re: Re: Inconsistencies on 07/12/2013 14:26:35 MDT Print View

I called desolation yesterday like Duane and the nice lady - did not ask for her name (would not hang her out to dry anyway) said that Alcohol stoves were okay. It fell under contained fuel I think, anyway, different interpretations for sure.

I called the Whitney Ranger Station and received the same response. Both Alki and Esbit OK... they said just no wood or open fire like in a fire ring or pit.