Going Stoveless - Cold Food for Thought
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
thx..corrected on 07/05/2013 11:23:37 MDT Print View

The not-so-smart device (aka my brain) missed that one. :)

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Going Stoveless - Cold Food for Thought" on 07/08/2013 12:53:03 MDT Print View

Well written and had some good ideas. I definitely fall into the camp of "you can't beat a hot meal at the end of a cold/wet day" but some of your meal ideas make me think twice. I've never thought about rehydrating mash potatoes or dried beans with cold water. I'm a fan of doing burritos using tortillas, cheese and rehydrated bean flakes. There's no reason I couldn't do that cold instead of hot.

Thanks.

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
Re: word swap? on 07/23/2013 11:51:33 MDT Print View

I had a funny experience on a car-camping trip this past weekend. Our companions brought the typical car camping luxuries: fresh eggs and veggies, coffee, cookset, folding chairs, etc. My boyfriend and I just grabbed our typical backpacking kit. While our friends futzed with their stove and burned their scrambled eggs and lamented their watery coffee, we had already gobbled up our simple and tasty granola-and-almond-milk concoction (topped off with fresh fruit, my idea of luxury) and rinsed out our bowls. I think the would-be chefs were a little jealous.

I very rarely bring a stove while backpacking. I love to cook at home, and have worked in many facets of the food service industry so I know my way around a kitchen, but on the trail I become an incredibly picky eater (the whole theory of "everything tastes good when your outside" never holds true for me). Trying to replicate home-cooked food on the trail is, to my mind, a losing battle. Stuff like eggs and pancakes never comes out right. Mountain House meals always feel like a rip-off to me. Seven-dollar pasta? Really? I like to pack homemade cookies and bars for breakfast, and I consume huge numbers of Clif and ProBars. Energy bars are a guilty, expensive pleasure in real life, but totally justifiable while hiking. ;)

I'm also very fond of those little Ziplock brand tupperware containers for no-heat cooking. The 8-oz capacity ones weigh less than 15 g each, and are way nicer to eat out of than freezer bags (also easier to rinse and reuse). Favourite "recipes"?

Instant Fiesta black bean mix plus instant mashed potatoes inside a tortilla wrap. Cheese and sun-dried tomatoes optional.

Instant split pea soup with toasted kasha (buckwheat), plus a little extra bouillon powder and olive oil.

Rice, bean thread, or ramen noodles with miso powder, ginger powder and dulse. Add freeze dried veggies of choice. (This requires a larger container, I find). Variation: stir peanut butter and tamari sauce into noodles. Yum.

Most of the quick-cook foods we eat on the trail have been pre-cooked. Trail cooking for most is largely a matter of rehydration, which only requires heat for psychological reasons. Throw your "ingredients" into a container with enough water to cover, let it sit in your pack for a couple hours while you hike, and you have a meal that requires virtually no effort to prepare. And, even if you do still bring a stove, it's good to have a back-up method for when the stove fails or you run out of fuel.

For those who hike in places that have direct sunlight (that is, west of the Mississippi...), leaving your freezer bag or tupperware out in the sun, wrapped something black (like that emergency trash bag) can yield a substantially toasty meal. Hey, it's hot enough to melt your chocolate, right?

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
dehydrated banana and orange marmalade on 07/24/2013 20:50:11 MDT Print View

Home dehydrated banana is a wonderful chewy snack. Don't need the Trader Joe's, although I do find their label "Bananas, Flattened", to be really funny for some reason. (Duh! of course they're flat, can't you see?)Can't stand banana chips, but oh! plain dehydrated banana is like candy. Pair up with chocolate peanut butter or hazelnut butter.

Also awesome with the chocolate peanut butter is the little packet of Orange Marmalade on a wrap. My favorite hiking lunch. Now, if only I could find gluten-free wraps that didn't just shred when rolled--last one I tried I had sticky fingers from the marmalade squooshing out the cracks. Lick fast!

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
re: gf wraps on 07/25/2013 06:14:35 MDT Print View

Diane-
Maybe corn tortillas would work?

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Lentils Don't Need No Stove on 08/27/2013 21:18:21 MDT Print View

I make curried lentils then dehydrate them, as standard pack fare. One time I went to an area I thought allowed stoves, then discovered it did not. I was amazed to discover my curried lentils rehydrated to perfection in about a minute, with no stove at all. Truly "stove optional" food.

On further experimentation I found the lentils were perfectly edible without rehydration at all, just in their dehydrated form. A little unusual, but no complaints.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Lentils Don't Need No Stove on 08/29/2013 10:33:12 MDT Print View

"I make curried lentils..."

recipe?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Lentils Don't Need No Stove on 08/29/2013 10:44:02 MDT Print View

packitgourmet.com has dehyration times for all their food for both hot and cold water

It takes maybe 3 times as long to rehydrate with cold

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Red Curried Lentil Recipe on 08/29/2013 20:52:06 MDT Print View

>"I make curried lentils..." recipe?

This is a near "gasless" lentil recipe using RED lentils in a crock pot. To further reduce the gas content, soak water can be dumped and replaced.

1 c lentils – bring to boil on stove, dump and replace water.
Transfer to crock pot.
1/4 t salt.
Cook 1 hour on high in crock pot, then remove excess water. Add:
2 buillon cubes (+1/4 t salt, optional)
2 t olive oil
1/2 clove, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic puree, or 1/2 square of garlic
2 T onion (seems to get done in time, could sautee)
1/4 t curry powder (Trader Joe's)
…then another 1+ hour in the crock pot. Time varies, but for my crock pot, total cook times between 2:15- 2:25 are normal.
1/2 can chopped tomato, last item to add when done. (Acid makes legumes tough.)
Beware overcooking!! Turns to (tasty) mush.