November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
favorite watch???
Display Avatars Sort By:
terry tiedeman
(Terry62) - F
favorite watch??? on 06/23/2013 16:24:30 MDT Print View

My watch is taking on water and fogging up and I may need to buy another soon. Any favorites? My preferences: Not too big or bulky, alarm, reliable, long battery life, back light, thermometer is a great bonus but not necessary. Anyone have long term positive experiences with anything which mostly matches my description? Thanks.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Deep Frreze
Re: favorite watch??? on 06/23/2013 16:33:09 MDT Print View

Hi Terry,

I really like my Casio Protek 1500, its got all the functions I need and is solar powered, I had a Suunto before and got caught out a few times when the battery died and had no spares with me.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Wal-Mart G Shock on 06/23/2013 16:35:42 MDT Print View

I would love a Suunto Ambit 2 but the Walmart Casio was $75 and it has backlight, temp, altitude and Barometer, lots of non essential options.
Paired with my Suunto compass which weighs little this is a great watch.

When I go to Nepal I might want a better altimeter but hay for $75 I have put it thru the wringer and it is still going strong!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: favorite watch??? on 06/23/2013 17:56:03 MDT Print View

Timex Expedition

Ian B.

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: favorite watch??? on 06/23/2013 18:23:48 MDT Print View

At the moment I have a Garmin Forerunner. It's great for training and reviewing data after a short hike. It'll show me my route on a map, elevation gained/lost, heart rate, etc. It's great for runners but not great for backpacking. It won't tell me my grid coordinate in the field but I can set it up where it will direct me to where I started. When I'm volunteering with SAR, I can export the GPX file to show the area I searched. (EDIT the map and elevation data is only available on my computer after I've downloaded it. I can only read distance covered and pace in the field).

As far as ABC watches go, I've only owned a Pathfinder and I can't remember the model number. It had a titanium band and when it broke I couldn't find a local replacement band for it. Like most (if not all) ABC watches, you have to calibrate the altimeter and even when you do, there can be a fairly large margin of error. I also couldn't rely on the thermometer but the compass was fine to quickly reference the cardinal directions.

I'm in the market for a new watch and I've narrowed it down to two for two very different reasons:

Garmin Fenix. GPS is set up better for backpacking vs my current Forerunner which is designed for running/training. I like that I can buy an external thermometer module for it. This is the most high tech watch that I can afford.

Luminox (Interested in several models). I've never found a watch alarm which will wake me up. I don't trust a compass, thermometer, altimeter on the ABC watches I've played with so far. The only thing left which has any reliable value to me is to simply use it as a time piece. I really like that they use tritium so I don't have to shine a light on it or use a backlight.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 06/23/2013 18:39:01 MDT.

Erik Basil

Locale: Atzlan
werd on 06/23/2013 20:09:11 MDT Print View

Solar Atomic G-Shock. Pick your color and style. Waterproof, no batteries, always the right time, durable, generally affordable. See: Costco, Walmart.

terry tiedeman
(Terry62) - F
thanks on 06/23/2013 20:50:44 MDT Print View

thanks everybody for some feedback. I really hate shopping especially for tech stuff. So, a little advice really helps to keep it simple when I am looking.

Richard Reno
(scubahhh) - M

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.
Plain old Seiko dive watch. on 06/24/2013 05:50:44 MDT Print View

It has an old-fashioned analog dial and keeps perfect time. the rotating bezel comes in handy a lot more often than you'd think. No alarm, stopwatch, or countdown timer, but I could enver figure out how to use those things anyway. Likewise with the altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and all the other -meters.Self-winding, so it never needs batteries. Advertised as being waterproof to 200 meters, which is a lot seeper than I'm eve rlikely to dive. Oh yeah: chicks dig 'em.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
cheap casio on 06/24/2013 06:00:41 MDT Print View

Except for the thermometer, a cheap casio matches the desired feature list, and I would point out is lighter weight than pretty much any "adventure" type watch I see on display at REI or the like.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Analog, small, backlit, cheap. on 06/24/2013 08:28:36 MDT Print View

I like an analog face for easier use as a compass ( point the hour hand at the sun, south is half between the hour hand and 12 o'clock on the watch face ( north of the equator ) ).

I have smaller wrist, plus for the weight savings, I get a women's watch with the same features as a men's. ( My grandmother did the reverse when her eyes started to go, for the large face).

I like Timex's Indiglo or Casio's Illuminator back lights.

About $30-35. Readily available on-line or most any store with watches.

Around town, it's usually a Victoronox women's analog, but it is a little heavier and only has phosphor on the hands, not a whole-face backlight.

Sean Smith
gshock on 06/24/2013 12:16:51 MDT Print View

casio gshock riseman

Fred Eoff
(fredeoff) - F

Locale: Northwest
Watch on 06/24/2013 14:11:26 MDT Print View

Timex Expedition