SUL Hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
SUL Hike on 06/22/2013 19:36:56 MDT Print View

In Huntington Beach training on the beach for my SUL trip in Emigrant Wilderness! Cutting down many items on the gear list- No cook gear for sure or camp speaker, tooth brush or water filter. What else?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: SUL Hike on 06/22/2013 20:04:43 MDT Print View

Jacket, pad,bag, headnet,sunscreen,pack,water,food. What else do you need Jay? Won't rain most likely.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: SUL Hike on 06/22/2013 20:18:26 MDT Print View

Personally, I'd keep the toothbrush. Skip the toothpaste, but keep the brush.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: SUL Hike on 06/23/2013 09:12:01 MDT Print View

One word...commando.

Might also consider shaving all the hair off your body. I suspect about 4 oz of savings for the average man but you are not average so maybe half a pound! SUL indeed.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 06/23/2013 12:11:34 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: SUL Hike on 06/23/2013 09:59:13 MDT Print View

"Might also consider shaving all the hair off your body"

Coupe from Go Lite did that before his Colorado Trail thru-hike. Less than 3oz. Dude is hairy.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
SUL Hike on 06/23/2013 11:24:02 MDT Print View

DEET or just bring a head net? No sleep sox, knife, first aid kit or maybe just a few Advils? There is a fine line to truly go SUL. What about bringing my ID, Med Card and car key? The clothes that I hike in are the clothes that I sleep in? That does not sound to hygienic. If there is rain in the forecast can I bring a umbrella? Be safe and comfortable and use common sense. Can I bring a fishing pole on a SUL trip?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: SUL Hike on 06/23/2013 12:15:19 MDT Print View

"What about bringing my ID, Med Card and car key?"

Given this day and age, it is simple really. The first two can simply be tatooed to each cheek. Gluteus that is. Hidden from prying eyes and yet easily accessible.

With respect to the car key, just have an RFID chip surgically implanted into your right hand index finger and retrofit your car to unlock and start if you are within 1 foot of the car.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: SUL Hike on 06/23/2013 12:24:02 MDT Print View

You can bring as much as you want Jay. Haven't you heard that SUL is a state of mind now? I count a fully loaded Vanagon as one item.