Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Suggestions needed for clean clothes post trip

Display Avatars Sort By:
Anthony McGuire
(amcguire)
Suggestions needed for clean clothes post trip on 06/21/2013 20:32:48 MDT Print View

Whenever I have flown somewhere in the past for a hiking trip, I have always needed a rental car. A good thing about having the car is that it is a good place to store clean clothes for after the hike and for the flight home. In late August I am hiking in the Sierras and using several modes of transportation, but a rental car is not going to be one of them. Anyone have suggestions for the post hike wardrobe storage?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Suggestions needed for clean clothes post trip on 06/21/2013 21:08:33 MDT Print View

I did a trip like that to Hawaii. Way down at the very bottom of my backpack were the shirt and trousers folded flat into a plastic bag.

--B.G.--

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Suggestions needed for clean clothes post trip on 06/21/2013 21:13:29 MDT Print View

Two zip-lock baggies. Nest them. Burp all the air out. Stash your clean clothes 20 feet into the woods from a highway sign, mileage marker, etc. Cover with branches and leaves. Maybe leave a discrete sign for yourself - crossed sticks, or a shiny rock, etc. Along trails, I'll tuck stuff under the decking of a foot- or highway-bridge.

I do stranger and more precise stuff than this all the time. If I need to essentially create a benchmark, I'll write in sharpie marker on a sign post or guardrail post, "20.2 feet from here". Two or three such data points or some pics on my cell phone and I can triangulate a location months later within an inch, even under a foot of snow.

Obviously, avoid any food smells on the bags.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Suggestions needed for clean clothes post trip on 06/21/2013 21:16:19 MDT Print View

Yes just cache them somewhere. This of course won't work if you are doing an end to end.

Are you using a hotel at the end of your trip?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Suggestions needed for clean clothes post trip on 06/21/2013 22:29:02 MDT Print View

I think the 2 most important pieces of clean clothes post-trip would be (1) the lightest cotton t-shirt you have, and (2) clean underwear. With these, you should look (and more importantly smell) semi-decent for the trip home. If you are staying in a hotel after the hike, you could wash your hiking pants. Heck, you could wash them in an airport bathroom and dry with the hand dryer, standing around in your clean cotton boxers and t-shirt!

I know this is BPL, but it would be ok for you to carry them in a ziploc bag at the bottom of your pack. Maybe an extra 8 oz that no one wants to carry but it won't ruin the trip.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Clean clothes post trip on 06/21/2013 23:00:36 MDT Print View

Could you mail yourself a package of clean clothes to whatever town you finish your trip at? You could even mail it to yourself from the start of your hike, like a mini thru-hiker's bounce box.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
clean clothes post trip on 06/22/2013 00:27:41 MDT Print View

Where are you ending your trip? Mailing your clothes to yourself general delivery as suggested is easy to do. If your staying in a motel pre-trip or post trip they might hold them for you. When I come out at Lone Pine I just stop in the handy laundromat and wash mine while lounging in my wind pants and top. Or be a tourist and buy a cheap shirt and shorts. This assumes your coming out on the east side or in Yosemite. If you come out on the west side it's a bit problamatic.

Anthony McGuire
(amcguire)
Re: clean clothes post trip on 06/22/2013 18:50:18 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! My hike is an end to end hike so the cache option won't work, although those are good ideas for future trips. I will be staying in a hotel the night before flying home so I think I will see if they will accept and hold a small package for me. If not, I'll probably stash some clean clothes in the bottom of my pack.
My hiking route is the High Sierra Trail to the intersection with the JMT, then northbound on the JMT and exiting at Florence Lake.