Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
Winter sleeping bag dilemma, help needed
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Winter sleeping bag dilemma, help needed on 06/21/2013 17:57:29 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

A bit of an unusual question and my apologies for the essay.

I am currently looking at a Western Mountaineering Puma in size regular, but have been tempted by the long version (I am 5' 10 with size 14 feet) due to the fact a lot of folk on here recommend a longer bag for storing kit in the bottom.

The reason I am looking at the Puma is its the same dimensions as my Alpinelite which I really like the space of, but then I spotted the long Lynx has much similar width to the regular Alpinelite and Puma.

So I am torn between a Long Lynx and regular/long Puma.

It is mainly for winter use in Michigan, ADK and the Rockies, I so sleep cold though.

Oh and to throw a curve ball, there is is MF vs GWS.

I rang WM today and spoke through the options with them (they where most helpful) but I am in a bit of a quandary.

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 06/21/2013 19:05:01 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 09/08/2013 16:21:41 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Winter sleeping bag dilemma, help needed on 06/21/2013 19:13:35 MDT Print View

I learned to get around the problem by storing stuff behind my knees in the winter bag, not below my feet. Yes, I am a side sleeper, so it only gets in my way when I flip from one side to the other.

Also, some sleeping bag manufacturers have completely different standards for sizing, so you need to read the fine print.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Winter sleeping bag dilemma, help needed on 06/21/2013 19:22:06 MDT Print View

I'm with rOg. Hope you find the footbox to be large enough.

-25, Dang Dude that is cold!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Winter sleeping bag dilemma, help needed on 06/21/2013 19:30:11 MDT Print View

Cheers Guys,

Sounds like a regular will be be better, thanks for the sanity check.

Ken,

Coldest I have been out in here so far was minus 13f, that was an experience :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Winter sleeping bag dilemma, help needed on 06/21/2013 19:35:43 MDT Print View

Rog,

Forgot to say I did start using a Tarp this year in winter.