Forum Index » Chaff » Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/21/2013 13:19:30 MDT Print View

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/21/canmore-calgary-flooding-video-2013_n_3478407.html?1371823999&utm_hp_ref=canada

I have friends who have lost their homes. I have never seen such devastation.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/21/2013 13:29:37 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear that. I hope they made it out of that mess safely.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/21/2013 16:20:06 MDT Print View

Thanks Ian, some more amazing pics and video here:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/20/pictures-and-videos-of-massive-flooding-in-canmore-and-southern-alberta/

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/21/2013 16:45:21 MDT Print View

Wow. Mother Nature is really powerful when she wants to be. Wishing the best for your friends as well.

There's been a lot of serious flooding all over this year - I don't remember a time when it's been this bad before.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/21/2013 16:52:45 MDT Print View

Strange year, thus far.

The melt is coming from the tall peaks in Banff. Right now about 120KM of road through the park is completely submerged.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/21/2013 23:27:33 MDT Print View

Its been rain that has caused most of it. Basically the entire catchment for the bow river, elbow river, sheep river and highwood river had 3 days of heavy rain. All of dowtown Calgary is flooded, the hockey arenas firs 10 rows are filled with water. Its nuts. Most of the bridges in the area were closed today and are just re opening this evening. 100,000 people evacuated from homes. Some via Combine.

I am lucky in that my house is on high ground and we have nothing to worry about but the devistation is amazing. Highest recorded flow rates in all of our rivers. Google Canmore or Calgary flood pics if you want to see.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Devastation in Canmore, Calgary, and surrounding areas on 06/22/2013 00:19:40 MDT Print View

Rain at higher altitudes melting the snow pack. I have a house on Mackenzie Lake and the lake is up 10 to 12 inches. It certainly wasn't just the volume from the rain. Not even close. This is why over 100 km on highway 93 is under water and why the Bow overflowed.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Floods on 06/27/2013 15:47:51 MDT Print View

Interesting that this is happening at the heartland of climate change denial. Hopefully a few people wake up. Sad to see lots of regular folks being hurt by it.

Edited by dandydan on 06/27/2013 15:50:13 MDT.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Floods on 06/27/2013 19:06:01 MDT Print View

The Museum of Natural History in Victoria, BC had an interesting exhibit on climate change the last time I was there a few years ago. They showed that the planet naturally cycles through periods of cooling and heating and that this has been going on long before the industrial revolution. Anecdotal without knowing the research behind that claim but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Anywho... Last year I was in Banff with my family. It was coming down in buckets in BC/Alberta when we left to come home. Less than a week later the Columbia was the highest I've ever seen it in Eastern Washington. We live in an area dependent on irrigation and ironically the surplus of water was a problem for us and knocked out some irrigation pumps. Losing some corn crops is a trivial complaint compared to having your neighborhood flattened by flood waters but I thought it was interesting to see both the cause and the effect a few hundred miles apart.

I mentioned it before but I'm sorry to see this happen to your community and I hope you and yours make it through this ok.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Climate Change on 06/28/2013 05:41:08 MDT Print View

The climate certainly fluctuates naturally and has been quite hot (and cold) before. The trouble right now isn't so much the absolute temperature, but rather the rate at which its changing. Natural systems can adapt to gradual changes over time and stay healthy, but under rapid change there is no chance to adapt and we wind up with desertification, loss of biodiversity and other detrimental changes that hurt us and the environment. Plus the absolute change that has accumulated thus far is giving us increased severe weather events such as this.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Climate Change on 07/11/2013 14:00:10 MDT Print View

It seems like there are more forest fires than there used to be

Last year I couldn't hike around Three Sisters because of fire

The year before I just barely got around Mt Hood before closed from fire

Mt Hood was closed a couple years ago by another fire

Recent fires in Mill Creek and Strawberry wildernesses that I visited recently