Berghaus 110 gram waterproof smock
Display Avatars Sort By:
Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Berghaus 110 gram waterproof smock on 06/21/2013 09:08:53 MDT Print View

Berghaus have a new range of UL gear, including a 110g waterproof jacket:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/berghaus-goes-ultra-lightweight-for-2014/11001.html

Looks like a windproof but it's taped and has 7000mm water head.

Also has a reversible insulation jacket - at 160 grams.

I like the look of the Hyper 22 pack.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
curious on 06/21/2013 09:32:35 MDT Print View

Seems not too long ago 7 and 10D stuff was only being used on quilt interiors b/c of fragility. I wouldn't want to see this thing after a 100 yd bushwhack through brambles. I bet it wouldn't be pretty.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: curious on 06/21/2013 11:40:26 MDT Print View

UL rain jackets is one area u want a no questions asked unlimited warranty

There enough stories of delamination with those here that to but otherwise is a bit of a cr@pshoot

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Berghaus 110 gram waterproof smock on 06/21/2013 22:14:34 MDT Print View

It might not be the most durable jacket in the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't a really good jacket. Lots of folks (like me) use Propore, even though it is ridiculously fragile. We just use something else when we go bushwhacking. A good warranty makes sense, though; you never know when the thing will delaminate (without any wear or tear). Then there is the issue of breathability as well as cost. All in all it looks like a very good jacket, but I really don't know if it compares with other jackets because I have yet to see a good chart that compares jackets and windshirts.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: curious on 06/21/2013 22:43:11 MDT Print View

"I wouldn't want to see this thing after a 100 yd bushwhack through brambles. I bet it wouldn't be pretty."

I wear a nylon button up over my dri ducks rain jacket when doing off trail trips. It allows me to carry the lightest outerwear through the toughest brush.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: curious on 06/22/2013 07:48:14 MDT Print View

Wouldn't you only be wearing it if it were raining? Doesn't wearing something over it defeat the point?

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: Re: curious on 06/22/2013 09:20:44 MDT Print View

"There enough stories of delamination with those here that to but otherwise is a bit of a cr@pshoot"

I've had a couple of gore-tex jackets delaminate, but does PU?

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Re: curious on 06/22/2013 10:47:10 MDT Print View

"I've had a couple of gore-tex jackets delaminate, but does PU?"

I have had 2 backpacks, rain pants, rain jacket, and 2 stuff sacks with PU coating delaminate, or disintegrate. Most of this is due to the fact that PU coatings are effected by moisture and will eventually degrad, delaminate, or turn sticky. Most PU coatings will fail within 10 years even if the item has had little to no use during most of that time.

In contrast I have a Gortex rain jacket and rain pant that are still waterproof and have not delaminated even though the DWR on them has failed. I also have an older Marmot ran jacket and pants that are still good.

For Gortex and Event DWR failure is the most likely thing to fail. Delaminating of these fabrics delamination is a very rare occurrence.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: curious on 06/22/2013 13:19:04 MDT Print View

"I've had a couple of gore-tex jackets delaminate, but does PU?"

The gore tex jackets would be covered by their warranty at least. What were you doing with the jackets and how old were they?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: curious on 06/22/2013 16:14:08 MDT Print View

> UL rain jackets is one area u want a no questions asked unlimited warranty

But you have to be prepared to pay the weight penalty. If you are track walking or above the tree line then maybe it works. I haven't torn my UL silnylon poncho yet, and that has been through scrub.

Cheers

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: curious on 06/22/2013 20:10:16 MDT Print View

"Wouldn't you only be wearing it if it were raining? Doesn't wearing something over it defeat the point?"

I carry the dead weight of a wet overshirt as a necessary sacrifice. If I am only expecting occasional rain, it's worth it because I can carry a super light rain jacket (even a dri-ducks) in any kind of rough bushwhacking situation.

If I'm walking through really bad scrub like sharp manzanita thickets, it doesn't matter how "durable" a rain jacket claims to be, it will get torn up.

I'm only talking about off trail, below the treeline trips.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: curious on 07/11/2013 06:16:53 MDT Print View

""I've had a couple of gore-tex jackets delaminate, but does PU?"

The gore tex jackets would be covered by their warranty at least. What were you doing with the jackets and how old were they?"

Apologies,I've been on holidays.

Re the Gore-tex jackets - just normal light use, and yes they were replaced under warranty.