Arc Blast vs. Blast
Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 07/03/2013 10:38:59 MDT Print View

If the frame is rigid then it's safe to assume that the weight is carried on the frame.

If the contents are pushed back 1-2 inches away from the back like the blast that is simply not enough to throw any balance off. Go ahead and provide your physics.

The only thing I can think of is swing weight. But then again the difference will be minute.

The bottom and top are close to the body, the only difference is a few inches in the center of the pack.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
wt on 07/04/2013 11:03:48 MDT Print View

I know I can feel the change in balance when I put a 5 lb platy of water in the front pocket on my packs, about 10" away from my back. But even with 20% of the pack wt located that far from the back, its still OK.

Many packs have a gap to keep the pack off the back. Exos, most heavy packs, internal and external frames. Only lightwt packs hug the back really, and they are the ones that least need to.

I wouldnt worry about it personally.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: re on 07/04/2013 22:49:57 MDT Print View

"Go ahead and provide your physics. "

I think you mean physics, rather than "your physics.". Sadly, I didn't construct the laws and am only forced to obey them. Just like you.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
My shiny new Arc Blast on 07/05/2013 07:05:32 MDT Print View

I just received my new Arc Blast and so far I really like it. I haven't had a chance to fully load it and wear it for awhile yet to see how I want to adjust the frame tension. So I would be interested in Davy's input and others as well to make sure I do it correctly.

One thing I will say is that I like my hip belt lower and around my hips at the iliac crest. That position and the fact that women have a lower center of gravity than men will certainly be factors in how I adjust mine to get the proper weight transfer to the hips. I do notice that Joe and a lot of guys posting on this site tend to wear the pack with the hip belt located higher at their natural waist. This also affects the torso length that you order.

Edited by veganaloha on 07/05/2013 07:06:32 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
wt on 07/05/2013 18:17:18 MDT Print View

But the smaller shorter pack is ......lighter

So we learn to wear it higher.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Pack weight and size on 07/05/2013 21:06:25 MDT Print View

Actually, Joe advised me that the interior volume of the pack was constant regardless of torso size. So it would stand to reason that the pack will weigh the same regardless of what size you get. He actually suggested I go with the "shorter" measurement. My torso size using the normal measuring method (iliac crest to C7) is around 16.5".

Regarding fit, I personally think the pack is more comfortable when the belt rides a bit higher. This could just be me, though, since my iliac crest comes up just underneath my ribs. My hipbelt is somewhere around my belly button when I put it on.

I should have the pack in hand in a few days to evaluate it (and to compare it against the other 6-7 packs that are sitting in my closet!). In the end, there can be only one!

Edited by dgposton on 07/05/2013 21:07:25 MDT.