Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
PB2
Display Avatars Sort By:
Erica R.
(skrapp138) - M
PB2 on 06/20/2013 22:19:59 MDT Print View

So, I love the idea of PB2 for a treat on the trail - and I have 2 questions for anyone that has tried it:
- Is it good? Anyone tried any of the other 'flavors'? Thinking there may be yummy dessert potential...

- From a energetic/caloric standpoint I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around whether it's actually a good food to bring - or not? They say they remove the fat calories (which would actually be desired on the trail) - but then when you consider the weight savings vs. regular peanut butter, I wonder if it balances out?

This is the nutritional info:
http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

I guess I feel this could make for a nice change from dehydrated hummus for a dip/spread - but if it's going to be a caloric waste - I'm guessing I should save the space....

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: PB2 on 06/21/2013 07:08:55 MDT Print View

"All Bell Plantation products are preservative free and contain no artificial sweeteners. And in the case of PB2 and Chocolate PB2, you won’t find 85% of the fat calories of regular peanut butter."

Yep, what's the point?

Edited by greg23 on 06/21/2013 07:23:54 MDT.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
PB2 on 06/21/2013 08:19:50 MDT Print View

We have a bag of peanut flour that I was excited about as it's basically dehydrated Peanut Butter after the oil is pressed out. Then I realized that might not be a good thing.

Comparison:

PB is about 5 calories/gram
PB2 is about 4 calories/gram

PB is ready to eat
PB2 needs mixing with water

PB is 190 calories/30 ml
PB2 is 45 calories/30 ml after reconstituting

Obviously, most of the calories in PB come from fat, while less than 1/3 come from fat in PB2. You would have to consume 4x as much volume reconstituted PB2 to get the same calories as PB.

It looks useful for recipes, not so much eating.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: PB2 on 06/21/2013 13:08:11 MDT Print View

Peanut flour makes a great peanut sauce and is is great in dry meals, etc.

But having said that....nuts and seeds are about the fat - it is HEALTHY fat! IMO, unless you have a recipe idea, just carry packets. Your body will thank you.