Forum Index » GEAR » Gravity filter vs. Aqua Mira: The age-old question

Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: Weight vs. time on 06/20/2013 16:00:39 MDT Print View

"With chemicals you need to have a seperate reserve that will last until the required time expires for treating"

I think you are mistaking what "need" means. I dont "need" any kind of reserves of water and in the sierras I don't usually carry more than 12 ounces. I use aqua mira after the 30 min wait and then pound a liter and then im off. No need to carry a reserve or turn drinking water in to some math problem. GICH

Both will work fine and both will have drawbacks. Bottom line is you dont often hear about people that treat there water getting sick, no matter what method they choose to go with.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Weight vs. time on 06/20/2013 17:43:11 MDT Print View

30 minutes is the time required to kill viruses and bacteria. Aquamira drops and tablets need 4 hours to kill Cryptosporidium in EPA water purification tests. The time required to treat water will depend on how dirty it is and the water temperature. Since you cannot tell how dirty the water is by looking at it and you cannot control the temperature you cannot be sure how much time is needed to fully treat the water. If you are only waiting 30 minutes your are probably not waiting long enough.

This post includes a leter from Aquamira that does state the 4 hour time.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/45839/index.html

Dowser Tom
(DaFireMedic) - M

Locale: Southern California
Re: Gravity filter vs. Aqua Mira: The age-old question on 06/20/2013 20:08:22 MDT Print View

"but the inconvenience of having to squeeze a bag to get water doesn't sound too appealing"

As was mentioned, you really don't have to squeeze to get water, and either way, its far more convenient than waiting for your chemicals to work before you can drink.

I have both the Sawyer Inline and the Sawyer Squeeze.The inline is the most convenient if you use it with a hydration pack as described by an earlier post in the thread. The Squeeze is convenient in that you can use ordinary plastic water bottles if you like, or Platypus, Sawyer bags, etc. It is overall a tad lighter as well.

I also have a SteriPen. While I'm not a fan of using battery powered equipment for this purpose, it remains my favorite in places like the Sierras where the water is some of the best tasting in the world, and the SteriPen is the only option (other than not treating) that doesn't affect the taste. The Sawyer filters shouldn't affect the taste, but they do although not nearly as much as chemical treatment.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Re: Weight vs. time on 06/21/2013 22:25:23 MDT Print View

@Josh -- Why do you carry 12 ounces? When I go hiking, I usually carry no water. I stop, drink and keep going. Takes me about thirty seconds. I don't have to take my pack off. The filter and dirty water bladder sit on the outside. I drink about every half hour. No squeezing, either; just sipping.

If I hiked in a spot that had fewer streams and lakes, I would certainly use chemicals and "camel up" (as they say). But when I basically can drink from the dozens of watering holes that I pass during the day, why wait?