Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Chilkoot Trail Advice - Footwear

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sara Dhooma
(Sara)

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Chilkoot Trail Advice - Footwear on 06/20/2013 06:41:37 MDT Print View

Hello,

I'll be spending four nights hiking the Chilkoot Trail during the first week of July with my brother.
My pack will be around 15lbs.
I'm going to bring my Kathloola MicroSpikes for extra traction on snowy/icy sections.

Originally, I had planned to wear my Salomon Synapse Shoes (they are not waterproof but very comfortable for long hikes).

The trail conditions as of June 14th are:
Dyea to Sheep Camp -> Good/ Excellent
Sheep Camp - The Scales -> Extensive Snow Sections
The Scales - Happy Camp -> Winter Conditions
Happy Camp - Deep Lake -> Extensive Snow Sections
Deep Lake - Bennet -> Early Season Conditions

I spoke with a fellow at an outfitter in Skagway and he thinks conditions will get much better by the time I'm on the trail.

For those with Chilkoot (or similar) experience, would you suggest I wear:
a) My comfortable non-waterproof hiking shoes with a gortex socks
b) Buying and breaking in waterproof hiking shoes to use with gaiters

Kathleen Whalen-Burns
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Chilkoot footwear on 06/20/2013 10:32:16 MDT Print View

I did that hike a number of years ago in early August and had no snow conditions to deal with. It's an easy hike and the trail is in good shape, so even if you get into snow, you'll probably be fine with your more comfortable shoes. I certainly wouldn't bother with getting new boots to break in that will probably be overkill. Have fun! It's a great hike. Are you taking the train back from Bennett to Skagway? That narrow gauge track kept me a bit panicky, but the views were fabulous.

Sara Dhooma
(Sara)

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Thanks Kathleen! on 06/20/2013 11:09:48 MDT Print View

Thanks for your comments Kathleen!
I think I'll stick with my existing shoes. :)

We are taking the train northbound to Carcross and connecting with a bus to Whitehorse.
I would have liked to return via Skagway but will be flying the next morning to Dawson City.