Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » BPL trips out of Sale Lake City

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/19/2013 20:13:39 MDT Print View

****Please ignore****

Folks,

Just seeing if any folk would fancy attending a Bpl trip in the Salt Lake City region?

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by stephenm on 07/11/2013 12:07:41 MDT.

Fitz Travels
(fitztravels)
Perhaps on 06/19/2013 20:31:14 MDT Print View

I would as long as it was the weekend, perhaps fri evening to sunday evening which is pretty limiting.. I just started a great job and cant take any days off.

Edited by fitztravels on 06/19/2013 20:47:19 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Perhaps on 06/20/2013 05:10:19 MDT Print View

Hi Fitz,

I would be flying in from Michigan so would problay want make it 3 nights but I am also open for 2.

I am looking ahead to October/November.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Perhaps on 06/20/2013 07:27:54 MDT Print View

Depending on my job situation I could totally be down for something like that. Keep me posted on dates and such...I have a feeling I'm going to be in a sad hiking state by then. My favorite time of year, too.....

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Perhaps on 06/20/2013 07:46:30 MDT Print View

It would be great if you could come Jen, you should stick this thread on your watch list.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 12:55:48 MDT Print View

I would be interested in that!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 12:57:12 MDT Print View

Nice one Steve.

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 15:18:27 MDT Print View

I live in Salt Lake City and am very interested.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 15:45:09 MDT Print View

Hi Jeff,

Good to have you on board.

What are the conditions like in October normally?

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Re: Re: Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 16:13:01 MDT Print View

Where exactly are you planning to go in the SLC region?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 16:17:17 MDT Print View

No idea yet Jeff, would like to spend as much time above treeline as possible.

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 17:09:44 MDT Print View

Above tree line rules out the desert then, probably too far from SLC anyway. That late in the year the mountains are likely to have some snow unless you can make it in early October. For something fairly close to the city I would recommend the Uinta's. Most of the trail heads along the Mirror Lake highway in the Uinta's are about 1.5 - 2 hours away. If you have time for a 4 hour drive you could make it to the Winds. The Wasatch are right beside the city but not that great for backpacking.

How many days are you planning?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL trips out of Sale Lake City on 06/20/2013 17:21:17 MDT Print View

I am thinking 3 night Jeff, fly in Thursday morning and back out Sunday night.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 06/30/2013 14:17:03 MDT Print View

I just moved back to SLC and am looking for people to hike with, what location did you have in mind?

edit: saw oct/ nov, still let me know as long as its not too cold I could make it.

Edited by M.L on 06/30/2013 14:18:02 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: re on 06/30/2013 15:49:54 MDT Print View

Hi Michael,

No location as of yet, just trying to figure out interest first and will explorer dates and location.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
Re: Re: re on 07/10/2013 18:55:53 MDT Print View

For that length of trip in Utah you will definitely want to hit the Uintah Mountains. I'm not sure of the snow conditions at the moment, but King's Peak is an obvious choice for that range as it is the highest point in Utah and a gorgeous hike to boot.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re on 07/10/2013 18:57:45 MDT Print View

Cheers Sara,

How far is the drive from Salt Lake City?

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
Well... on 07/10/2013 19:11:35 MDT Print View

Depends on what you are doing. If we are talking King's Peak, the most common trailhead is Henry's Fork, but to get to that you have to go up into Wyoming and back down into Utah, about a 3.5 hr drive if I remember correctly. There are additional trailheads that will take you there on the south of the Uintah range but they add more mileage and I'd have to look them up. Those trailheads are probably 2.5 hr away from Salt Lake City.

Another way to get to King's Peak is via the Highline trail starting from Mirror Lake (2 hr away fro m SLC). The bad news is that King's Peak is about 40 miles away! I only mention this because the Highline trail is one of the most scenic, desolate and scary thru hikes in the country (about 70 miles each direction), nearly 80% above the tree line, almost entirely above 10,000 ft, makes 8 summits and typically only accessible during the height of the monsoon season in the Uintas so lightning storms abound! One of the nice things about the Highline is that you can hike 2 days out and 2 days back and get in as much mileage as you want and plenty of scenery. There are so many lakes to dip your Tenkara rod in as well along the way!

If you are looking for more of a loop than an out-and-back there are plenty of those as well. Again, I'd have to look them up. Let me know if you'd like me to do some research for you.

Edited by smarchet on 07/10/2013 19:13:07 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Well... on 07/10/2013 19:17:17 MDT Print View

Hi Sara,

Thanks very for your in depth reply, much appreciated.

The trip won't be until October or later so have plenty of time to organise routes.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
Also... on 07/10/2013 19:32:06 MDT Print View

Also, it's definitely not a tarp, bivy and quilt type of climate :)