Adirondacks? Shenandoah? Vermont? -- Recommendations Needed
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph K
(jkifer)
Adirondacks? Shenandoah? Vermont? -- Recommendations Needed on 06/19/2013 09:36:30 MDT Print View

So I'm currently planning on going to Shenandoah this weekend for 4 days. Was initially planning on backpacking in central area around Whiteoak Canyon (maybe Hazel/Nicholson), but am now leaning toward Big Run for solitude.

The more I research Shenandoah, the more I realize that it seems to be a pretty busy place. I've been researching Vermont, Adirondacks, and George Washington.

Where would you guys recommend for a 3-night trip in late June?

I'm trying to find solitude, great views, and swimming opportunities (river or lake). Trying to avoid bugs and driving over 5 hours from Philadelphia. Ideal length would be 30-40 miles.

Thanks!

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
RE:Adirondacks? Shenandoah? Vermont? -- Recommendations Needed on 06/20/2013 15:53:42 MDT Print View

Anywhere you go north will have bugs, especially if you are looking for water features. I would suggest if you want to go to the Adirondacks either the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, which will probably be lightly used, or the Five Ponds Wilderness, which will have a bit more traffic, but if you head out towards Wolf Pond will be a bit less traveled.

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Re: Adirondacks? Shenandoah? Vermont? -- Recommendations Needed on 06/20/2013 18:55:34 MDT Print View

Otter Creek Wilderness in northern WV might work. River swimming, nice views, not sure about the bugs that time of year, I was there in early May years ago and had no problem. Crowds..hard to say.

Dean