Forum Index » GEAR » Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: re: floorless on 06/19/2013 15:31:15 MDT Print View

I wonder why the bugs fly around at the peak, unable to find their way out. Maybe you could design a bug trap using this concept? If you're laying down when it's still light you can watch them flit around...

One thing bad about mid is the walls go up at angle. If snow collects on the walls, they start coming in on you - the usable space gets smaller and smaller as the snow collects. Of course you can just tap it from the inside and the snow will fall off, but maybe if it's snowing a lot you want vertical walls.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/19/2013 16:25:23 MDT Print View

Over the years I have learned two important points about tents :
1)floorless is better
2) the bathtub floor should be at least 8" high with a 10.000mm minimum water head rating.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/19/2013 16:54:28 MDT Print View

> The worst is a floored tent with fly. Set up tent, rain falls on it getting
> everything wet before fly is up.
Very gently: that describes an American pop-up tent or dome tent. Yes, they do have those severe problems. They are meant for the dry season only.

But tents from the rest of the world do not always have these problems. Good tents have the poles attached to the fly so the tent sets up with interior dry, and they have highly effective bucket groundsheets. Yes, it is possible to find such tents, just not from the mainstream American vendors.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/19/2013 17:30:55 MDT Print View

"They are meant for the dry season only."

A little boy from Seattle sitting in the back raises his hand and asks, "please, sir, what is a dry season?"

There is rain, and then there is rain. A little drizzle doesn't do much while pitching a tent, but I could see where a good bucket dumpin' thunder shower could be a problem.

Good tents are hammocks and you can put up the tarp and then take your sweet time with the rest and reverse gear in the morning. That, and being cradled 18" above the floods, mud, bugs, rocks, and roots, and a 45 degree slope :)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/19/2013 17:44:42 MDT Print View

Most "traditional" double walled tents being sold in the US by mainstream manufacturers have the "fast pitch" option now, allowing you to pitch fly and poles only. If this is the case with your tent, you can pitch the fly and clip the inner in after.

This works with my MSR Hubba, so no pitching in the rain issues.

Edited by xnomanx on 06/19/2013 17:46:24 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
True story... on 06/19/2013 20:41:32 MDT Print View

A very good friend of mine has the shangri la 2 with a perimeter net sewn in. It is a great shelter, and it convinced me that I really wanted a floorless shelter, maybe even go the tarp route.

But I digress.

Her husband is a rather grumpy guy, but hilarious. I'm not sure hiking is his thing, as he frequently offers to pay for pizza on the trail if someone can get it delivered to a nearby fire road.

We had camped in a lovely spot in Red River Gorge back in November...but there were a lot of us and many of us had a slight slope to our sites. Apparently at some point in the middle of the night this lovely gentleman actually rolled right out of the tent and partway down the hill....

Needless to say, they are now the proud owners of a Copper Spur.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: True story... on 06/19/2013 21:06:59 MDT Print View

Jennifer,

I believe you, but I just can't believe it!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: True story... on 06/19/2013 21:32:04 MDT Print View

"I'm not sure hiking is his thing, as he frequently offers to pay for pizza on the trail if someone can get it delivered to a nearby fire road. "

Okay, my turn. True story. I was on a short backpacking trip with 2 female friends. They were fairly slow hikers, so I'd hike ahead a couple of miles, then turn around and hike back to where they were, then turn around and hike back ahead, etc. (I once had the hiking nickname of Double Back).

We were hiking the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA, where you use wooden lean-tos (Adirondack-style shelters) to crash in for the night. I made a few jokes about having pizza delivered to our lean-to as we headed out for the day. Unbeknownst to my hiking companions, I had actually ordered a pizza the night before, put it in the fridge and then put the pizza in a couple of ziploc bags, and folded up the pizza box and put that in my pack. I had also put three organic dark beers in a cuben stuff sack with ice and put that in my pack.

I got to the shelter well before they did, took the pizza out of the ziplocs and put the slices back into the original box. I then opened the stuff sack with the beer, which still had ice in it (it had been a nice, cool day) and folded down the sides so that the beers were nestled into their cuben ice bucket.

When the women arrived I asked them if they had seen the delivery guy since he had just left. Their pshaw-ing and laughter turned to astonishment when they saw the pizza and beer! And boy was that beer good. Pizza was pretty darned good too after we warmed it over a fire.

Fun trip. And yes, I carried the empties out.

And no, this has nothing to do with floorless tents, sorry. But I do own two, and I like them, but only for winter.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: True story... on 06/19/2013 22:47:40 MDT Print View

Yay, Doug...you're my hero! Take one for the team...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: True story... on 06/20/2013 04:34:45 MDT Print View

Doug,

You are some player mate :-)

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan)

Locale: NTX
Skeeters on 06/21/2013 15:58:17 MDT Print View

What's the skeeter plan with a floor less 8 bu 8 mod? I'm about to head into the Sawtooths for a week and really paranoid with the bugs. I don't know if I should try and get anOware pyramid or stick with my2 man 5 pound MSR Hubba 2 man tent.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Skeeters on 06/21/2013 16:05:09 MDT Print View

My mid has a 2 inch gap around the perimeter.

I was camping for several days. Mosquitos bit me during the day walking around but didn't bother me in the tent. Some of them collected at the peak, flitting around, trying to get out. For some reason, I didn't need full enclosure.

Consider this an experiment, may or may not work. Maybe works under some conditions. Probably good to have a backup like some netting to put over you or something, DEET,...

Maybe your fully enclosed tent is better

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/21/2013 16:50:58 MDT Print View

"cause you can bury number twos..."

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Re: Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/21/2013 19:58:49 MDT Print View

Here is one of the more popular trails here in the Redwoods of Northern California.

This is always fun to try and find a place to setup a shelter and not get muddy.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Why floorless tents are actually better for the fastidious on 06/21/2013 20:17:04 MDT Print View

My 3 double wall shelters can be pitched outer first so I have the best of both worlds. I something use the inner and sometime do not.

Edited by stephenm on 06/21/2013 20:17:51 MDT.