Forum Index » Chaff » what to do when encountering guns on the trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
Girly-Girl Man-Haters Club. on 07/01/2013 16:21:18 MDT Print View

"Wow. Matthew, you really do have the reasoning and arguing prowess of a 7th grader."

---Ow! that one hurts. LOL. I did not realize we were arguing, I thought we were discussing ideas, like adults.

"You regurgitate old, worn out talking points from fanatical fringe groups that have long ago been debunked."

---Uhhh...no, I think my argument was well thought out and the article I posted above was very impartial. Just because an idea is old, does not mean it is not valid.

"Because I'm a liberal from a big city you assume I'm a rabid gun control nut when in fact I support the 2nd amendment. ALL of it, including the part about the "well-regulated militia.""

---I said no such thing. Nothing like that was ever said by me, to you. Proof is to just scroll up and read. I made no assumptions about your geographical location at all. In fact, I did not bother to check where you were from until you actually said something to that effect.

"You assume that because I believe the cultural and social and innate desire to protect one's family with force or violence is strongly associated with testosterone and the male psyche I must be a man-hater. When in fact what it means is that I am one of those liberal college elites who study human behavior and why we do what we do. I can see how you'd get those confused."

---I believe it's YOU who are confused. I just hit the mark close to home, is all.

"Those are a ton of conclusions on your part, and all you are doing is furthering MY assumptions that you don't have the reasoning or critical thinking skills to think for yourself. And based on lots of your posts, I am now pretty convinced you really are a right wing, racist, misogynistic birther whack job."

---Keep the name calling up, it's just further proving my point that when someone on the left loses an argument, they try and attack the other person personally. I think you are just confused because I stuck to my beliefs and was not intimidated by your personal attacks and name calling. I did not fold or back down.

"And if you want to carry a gun, go for it. I honestly don't care. I still think you're paranoid, but I don't care."

---You obviously DO care or it would not get you so worked up.

“By the way, are you going to answer my question or not?

‘Were you traumatized by a man in some way?’

I think we all know the answer, but go ahead."

Matt

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/01/2013 20:17:35 MDT.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
well now on 07/01/2013 18:06:16 MDT Print View

I didn't think it could go downhill from birtherism but penis envy is definitely the next circle.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Them be tears of joy! on 07/01/2013 18:28:00 MDT Print View

This has been a good sampling Ian, Actually is going rather calmly.

I'm so glad that Jennifer has jumped into the Chaff mosh pit. Now Kat won't be alone.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Them be tears of joy! on 07/01/2013 18:45:43 MDT Print View

Thanks Ken;)
But.....I want nothing to do with the name calling. We can do better but once we get to this point we all lose. We had a chance to discuss this in a way that we could have learned something- and I did learn a few things. Now everyone just wants to stay away from it. It is a shame, in my opinion, and a loss.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

+1 on 07/01/2013 19:03:09 MDT Print View

Hey, Kat :)

+1

M

PS-
I'm gonna' try and squeeze a pic of that Golite Gust with your pockets in here somehow. LOL

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
So this is what all the chaff is about? on 07/01/2013 20:13:35 MDT Print View

Yeah, I've avoided the chaff for a long time...I was honestly waiting for something about religion. But I guess dogs and guns are good enough. Oh yeah, and that whole Obama-is-a-foreigner bit. That's always fun. I thought the original post was funny.

But Matthew, the definition of an argument is the vibrant exchange of differing ideas. There is no negative connotation to it, unless you add it there yourself. So yes, I was trying to argue...except you aren't exchanging ideas, you are simply vomiting words that have no actual meaning when strung together.

Of course then you brought in the penis envy though. Between that, the birther stuff and the paranoid Obama-is-taking-our-guns-and-creating-a-one-world-government rant I just can't take anything you say seriously.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
More on 07/01/2013 20:23:17 MDT Print View

Can we stop adding fuel that is not conducive to anything good?
No one has to, of course, but this is already unpleasant enough and there is not just one person to blame.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Anger Issues. on 07/01/2013 20:57:26 MDT Print View

"But Matthew, the definition of an argument is the vibrant exchange of differing ideas. There is no negative connotation to it, unless you add it there yourself. So yes, I was trying to argue...except you aren't exchanging ideas, you are simply vomiting words that have no actual meaning when strung together."

---This is simply not true. I have added my opinions, facts and articles that further the topic. In the original post, the OPer stated:
"It's a puncturing tool. Like teeth of a wolf or cheetah, the proboscis of the mosquito, or the talon of the falcon....how is an unpleasant experience with a gun any different from that? Because I brought it there ?"
I actually posted an article that supported this theory of guns being a tool of a backpacker, like a tent or a hammock. What have YOU contributed other than vile, hateful names when you disagreed with me?

"Of course then you brought in the penis envy though."

---No, you did that yourself when you made the analogy between guns and manhood. I just pointed out the obvious. And, if you had not noticed my avatar, I often hike in a kilt. Do you honestly think if I were at all concerned about my "manhood" or lack there of, I would be secure enough to do that? As my argument states, these things (guns, kilts, first aid kits) are TOOLS. Nothing more, nothing less.

" Between that, the birther stuff and the paranoid Obama-is-taking-our-guns-and-creating-a-one-world-government rant I just can't take anything you say seriously."

---Never said I was a "birther" (another nice name you keep using), you did. A me me was posted that was said to be "racist". It was not. The me me alluded to Obama not being born in the US. I just pointed that fact out. As for the "one world government"...where did that come from? It was never mentioned at all in the entire thread. If you intend to lie in order to make your points, please have some basis in fact so it's a bit more believable.

M

PS-
Still waiting for the answer to my question above.

she

Now....how about we get this back ON TOPIC........does anyone think guns on trails while backpacking are tools, like a first aid kit or a sleeping mat or a pocket knife? If not, why?

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/01/2013 21:31:55 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Ugh! on 07/01/2013 23:55:35 MDT Print View

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2PtsSKE4mY

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Ugh! on 07/02/2013 06:10:26 MDT Print View

Mark you said it - UGH.. Kat, you are totally right...I got sucked into the chaff vortex!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody help meeeeeee....................

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Me as I inocently wandered into this thread for the first time last night: on 07/02/2013 09:20:05 MDT Print View

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqykAlYebQ

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Freedom on 07/02/2013 10:16:43 MDT Print View

OK, Mark...I guess we'll do it your way.

ME as I defend the Constitution in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A

M

PS--Will we PLEASE get back on topic, now?.........does anyone think guns on trails while backpacking are tools, like a first aid kit or a sleeping mat or a pocket knife? If not, why?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
civility on 07/02/2013 10:17:08 MDT Print View

I'm not going to claim that discussions should never be personal, because that is not realistic. However, civility can exist within that space. One more example of the below, Matthew, and your posts here are going to vanish.

--

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Jeez! on 07/02/2013 10:23:31 MDT Print View

"Will we PLEASE get back on topic, now?.........does anyone think guns on trails while backpacking are tools, like a first aid kit or a sleeping mat or a pocket knife? If not, why?"

This was a thread intended to be a funny rip-off of the dogs on trail thread. And it was until you took it seriously. (I'm not sure how you would.) So yes, please get back on topic and add some humor or stop posting.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Censorship. on 07/02/2013 11:11:03 MDT Print View

"I'm not going to claim that discussions should never be personal, because that is not realistic. However, civility can exist within that space. One more example of the below, Matthew, and your posts here are going to vanish."

--

---Dave,
...that is very funny, considering the below question that was posed to me and the fact that I have been calling for civility the whole thread. I was the one called "a Teabilly, Birther, a right wing-racist-misogynistic-birther-whack-job,Glenn Beck fanatic, stupid Teapublican,John Wayne wannabe type, Rambo, uptight- homophobic- RACIST, paranoid Obama-is-taking-our-guns-and-creating-a-one-world-government conservative nutter."

How about threatening deletion of those in the thread that have been making those statements instead of trying to silence the one voice that has been consistently civil, even when being attacked? If moderation is used, please make it even and fair across the board.

Peter S (who has been very civil throughout) asked me:
"Matthew, I'll ask again : what exactly concerns you about people on the trail?

Have you had a traumatising experience?"

---I answered the question. No big deal. It was a good question that directly related to my position.

Randy,

""Will we PLEASE get back on topic, now?.........does anyone think guns on trails while backpacking are tools, like a first aid kit or a sleeping mat or a pocket knife? If not, why?"

This was a thread intended to be a funny rip-off of the dogs on trail thread. And it was until you took it seriously. (I'm not sure how you would.) So yes, please get back on topic and add some humor or stop posting."

---I know it was. The humor was not lost on me at all, but the main topic was are guns a tool or not. By the way, I have tried to lighten the thread several times and keep getting attacked. See the below post I made when the "racism" accusation reared it's ugly head:

"Good one, Ken. Maybe we should all lighten up.

Black White Supremacist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exNWAvlNYdM

M"

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/02/2013 13:32:45 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/02/2013 11:13:28 MDT Print View

I personally like dogs with guns on the trail who carry the 10 essentials as long as they don't use toilet paper and I don't have to see Craig mount one.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/02/2013 11:16:23 MDT Print View

"and I don't have to see Craig mount one."

Meh, the mounting isn't all that spectacular. It's the dismount that you'll never forget....

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/02/2013 11:18:21 MDT Print View

My dog is actually very good at using ground cover, pine needles, soft grass, etc to wipe his bottom. He needs no toilet paper at all.

Scoot

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/02/2013 11:20:35 MDT Print View

Holy crap (literally)! Did Chuck receive a celebrity makeover?

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/02/2013 11:28:18 MDT Print View

He likes to doll it up when posing for certain pics.
Or he was so frightened by seeing a gun on the trail that he lost all his fur and about 50 pounds.