what to do when encountering guns on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 19:07:22 MDT Print View

So tell me what my beliefs are; don't tie me to a party though, because that will not work with me. What do you think I believe? Specific issues, please.

"As a woman you should consider your right to choose"
Please explain what you are getting at here.

Edited by Kat_P on 07/10/2013 19:08:49 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 19:12:44 MDT Print View

Ken H.,

I don't like the GOP either but what's your point?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 19:36:17 MDT Print View

Kat, you stated some of them prior....go back and READ! I just get suprised that anyone that is not white and/or not middle class nor a male would vote for a party that wants to take away our righst or any of us hold dear. (do I need to copy and paste what you wrote when you answered to Craig??)
And NO You did NOT offer an opinion on reproductive rights which I believe you have your own thoughts.

And yes Kat, some of what you wrote sounds like a Libertarian (which I DESPISE). And....sorry to say that has it's own traps....think it out.

Is that "clean" enough debate for you? Curious....not picking a fight, just seems that now YOU have stepped it up DUE to YOUR beliefs. I bet we are more close in thought than you think.....but YOU are now jumping to conclusions.

Again, DO NOT put me as someone that instigates and walks away.....I AM HERE. Bad Form

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 19:39:03 MDT Print View

Ian, they both suck. Both truth be told, I will side with a party that try and help me...which is about .....00000 of the time..

But it is better than a party that wants to make me live in the 1950's, go to war when ever anyone breaths on us, nor a govt. that wants to regress our country.

I do know your irony....nice try....keep going on

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 19:41:36 MDT Print View

and I am having problems with my computer ie typing so please, excuse my typing....My computer is dying.

Sorry Kat

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 19:49:37 MDT Print View

Ken,
I don't think I am the one to jump to conclusions.
Maybe this will help: I am not a US citizen, so I don't get to vote. That also means that I don't have to tow a party line, or chose a party based on one issue.
In this thread I have expresses that I support the second amendment....so you warn me that being a woman I should consider my reproductive rights. To me that says that you are assuming that I vote/ support republican and should reconsider.
Unfortunately with a lot of people you can do that, see where they stand on one issue and then go down the line and pretty much know where they stand on everything else. Not with me, again, partly because I do not vote and don't have to espouse one of the two parties. Partly because I am not consistent and I struggle with that.
I share some beliefs with Libertarians, true, but not across the board. I believe in a safety net, for example. I believe a woman should have a right to choose but I don't need to call it a clump of cells; I believe it is a life and the decision is a grave one.

You should just ask me where I stand on any particular issue and I will answer as best can.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 20:12:38 MDT Print View

"Partly because I am not consistent and I struggle with that."

To put it in perspective, an observation often attributed to Einstein, probably incorrectly: "Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds".

So relax, Kat. You're in good company. ;0)

masculine ├╝ber linear logical club
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Boxing on 07/10/2013 20:15:35 MDT Print View

Things change. People change because of things change. I have no desire to stay the same person as i was 10 years ago. And i have no desire to be the same person i am now, when 10 years more has passed.

Don't box people, it's boring.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Boxing on 07/10/2013 20:18:26 MDT Print View

The only constant is change.

I embrace that fully, except for when I don't.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 07/10/2013 20:19:00 MDT Print View

Kat, I will answer you post tomorrow. I have to awake to the working week tomorrow at 4:30 tomorrow. Give me time to digest and read your comment again. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Address the issue on 07/10/2013 21:42:13 MDT Print View

My apologies for bring curt earlier.

Ken H., I mean no disrespect but simply saying the GOP sucks, paraphrased of course, really isn't a meaningful statement to launch a worthy debate from. The terms "liberal" and "conservative" are nebulous concepts nowadays and mean different things to different people.

For example, I (a fiscal conservative) very much believe that gay rights are explicitly covered under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment so defending these rights is therefore a "conservative" position. Many from the religious right would label me a liberal for this belief.

Seeing that this was a satire thread gone horribly awesome, trying to cry thread drift by anyone at this point would be utterly ludicrous. I would however suggest restricting the argument to something less than "DNC rules and GOP drools" might be better. I could speak for hours about the Tea Party alone but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what this debate had evolved (or devolved) into.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Address the issue on 07/10/2013 21:45:32 MDT Print View

Maybe I'll pack heat on my next hike.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Address the issue on 07/10/2013 21:55:53 MDT Print View

"Maybe I'll pack heat on my next hike."

If you bring your dog too then you'll be Craig-bait for sure.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Address the issue on 07/10/2013 21:58:45 MDT Print View

True. Will try to get photos of the mount attempt. I'm taller.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Address the issue on 07/10/2013 22:03:24 MDT Print View

Wait. I am going to be on that hike. Heat, mounting dogs.....I am getting worried now.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Not to worry Kat.. on 07/10/2013 22:17:36 MDT Print View

Bring a camera and some bear spray. Let Ken walk ahead of you and chances are you'll have the best seat in the house.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/11/2013 11:45:35 MDT Print View

Ken H has some well thought out AND POIGNANT INSIGHT INTO THE NEOTARD MINDSET, and I think his explanation could bring enough understanding to man kind to bring everlasting peace. IF YOU RETARDS WOULD JUST LISTEN and STOP WIT THE SILYNISS.

gosh.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Hammers on trails on 07/11/2013 23:03:26 MDT Print View

"Frankly, I'm not sure why we keep talking about guns and dogs...lets be honest: what we really need to worry about are falling vending machines."

Back several years ago when I lived in Santa Fe I heard about a case of some guys in Arizona going around shooting saguaro cacti with shotguns. Apparently they explode or something in a very satisfying way if you are into that kind of thing. Anyway, the saguaro are protected, and take hundred of years to get to a good size, and there was a big uproar about it. But one of the guys supposedly died when one of the larger ones he just shot actually fell on him. Treebeard could't have done it better!

Edited by millonas on 07/11/2013 23:05:10 MDT.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Ballad of the Saguaro on 07/13/2013 10:37:18 MDT Print View

Great song about it.

http://vimeo.com/40232010

"Cactus plugging is the practice of vandalizing or destroying a cactus, usually a saguaro, for fun. Typically the cactus is cut open, drained, then packed with explosives and ignited. In another variation, the vandal simply shoots bullets into the cactus body until portions fall off or the entire cactus falls over.
In one notorious incident in 1982, one David Grundman was killed when an arm of the saguaro he was "plugging" fell on him. A song by the Austin Lounge Lizards (co-written by Ann Clardy) poked fun at Grundman's stupidity.
The act of cactus plugging, if performed on a saguaro, is illegal. In any case, it is a particularly destructive form of vandalism, as saguaros require over a hundred years to reach a substantial height. - Wikipedia -"

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/13/2013 16:59:48 MDT Print View

"Maybe I'll pack heat on my next hike."

Ken...was that heat or "Heet"?

M

PS--By the way,Ken Helwig, you stated in a post to Kat that "I asked Matthew to post information and he did not", when, in fact, I did link several articles and other info that I believe you did not even bother to read. Please do not lie. It's not becoming of you. We can do without name calling, also, please.

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/13/2013 21:30:51 MDT.