Forum Index » Chaff » what to do when encountering guns on the trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
angry? on 07/02/2013 21:29:35 MDT Print View

angry? i just took some standard toss-off line of yours and made a silly comment using all your conspiracy theory stuff. not angry. silly. absurd.

i'd suggest you look back at all your posts railing on jennifer, etc. if you want to see angry, spiteful, etc.

anyway, judging from your last 10 pages of this (and tons more on other threads over the last few years), you won't let it go, so i'll see you later.

p.s. i didn't realize the germans and russians were in afghanistan. must brush up on history. (i suppose if he was in grenada you'd still be saying that "speaking german!" line.... ah, another toss-off.)

Edited by DaveT on 07/02/2013 21:34:30 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/02/2013 23:21:18 MDT Print View

"My dog is actually very good at using ground cover, pine needles, soft grass, etc to wipe his bottom. He needs no toilet paper at all."

jennifer,

I've always wanted to try this method - dogs seem to enjoy it so much! However, have you ever noticed how they always have a guilty look while doing it? Unfortunately I'm still looking for the ideal combo of privacy and a nice green lawn.

Pretty sure this is NOT what Mike Clelland means by the "smear technique" to be used above the tree-line. Makes me wince to think about Sierra granite, let alone slick rock. :-o

Edited by millonas on 07/02/2013 23:31:59 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: fairness on 07/02/2013 23:25:06 MDT Print View

"A certain amount of name-calling is going to happen in chaff. I draw the line at the inneudo of rape/assault/trauma and generally blatant misogyny."

I know it is probably too much to ask, but any chance we could also get a ban on the ironically and/or satirically challenged? Or else a set of ironic and satirical smileys to use. ;-)

Or perhaps a "time-out" mosh pit "forum" to ban certain people to for a while so they can be abusive to each other in private. Get a room guys!

Edited by millonas on 07/02/2013 23:44:54 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Time-Out on 07/03/2013 00:22:24 MDT Print View

Mark,
How much would a "Time Outer MLife" membership cost...I might consider it :)

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/03/2013 13:46:47 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/03/2013 13:53:07 MDT Print View

When I see people with guns on the trail, I just shoot them.

I shoot mountain bikers as well.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

guns on the trail on 07/03/2013 14:58:51 MDT Print View

"When I see people with guns on the trail, I just shoot them.

I shoot mountain bikers as well."

---You see, from my "quasi-Libertarian/Conservative" perspective, you should be aiming for the RANGERS, instead, there, Davey. :)

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/03/2013 14:59:43 MDT.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: guns on the trail on 07/03/2013 17:43:18 MDT Print View

Matthew said "---You see, from my "quasi-Libertarian/Conservative" perspective, you should be aiming for the RANGERS, instead, there, Davey. :)"

I guess you are trying to make a joke but really?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018496296_rainierrescue22m.html

http://www.odmp.org/officer/21076-park-ranger-margaret-a-anderson

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16353-park-ranger-kristopher-william-eggle

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Tastes Poor..... on 07/03/2013 18:04:49 MDT Print View

"Matthew said "---You see, from my "quasi-Libertarian/Conservative" perspective, you should be aiming for the RANGERS, instead, there, Davey. :)"

I guess you are trying to make a joke but really?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018496296_rainierrescue22m.html

http://www.odmp.org/officer/21076-park-ranger-margaret-a-anderson

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16353-park-ranger-kristopher-william-eggle"

----Oh, for Pete's sake.....
It's blatantly obvious that Davey and I were BOTH joking.
I guess my joke should be considered in "poor taste", but joking about shooting mountain bikers and people with guns on the trail is OK? Really? We gonna' go there with the double standards....? C'mon, Ian...if we're all that touchy, we won't be able to say ANYTHING to each other on here.

Matt

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/03/2013 18:12:24 MDT.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Tastes Poor..... on 07/03/2013 18:16:16 MDT Print View

Clearly the problem here is that I don't have a sense of humor.

Happy 4th everyone.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Tastes Poor..... on 07/04/2013 16:24:36 MDT Print View

"Clearly the problem here is that I don't have a sense of humor"

Now that's funny.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: angry? on 07/07/2013 12:00:11 MDT Print View

ahhhhhh................

and the sillyness continues....

carry on

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Feeling Squeezed. on 07/07/2013 14:22:39 MDT Print View

Ken....Sawyer Squeeze or Aquamira drops? Seriously.

Matt

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Feeling Squeezed. on 07/08/2013 08:41:41 MDT Print View

Neither....in line for me

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Healthy Debate. on 07/08/2013 10:15:12 MDT Print View

(sigh)...I should have guessed. :)

Matt

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Healthy Debate. on 07/08/2013 13:57:43 MDT Print View

Funny thing is, I've done AM drops and steripen and find I did not hydrate as well while hiking

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Healthy Debate. on 07/08/2013 13:59:14 MDT Print View

The Sawyer Squeeze is interesting

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 07/08/2013 17:36:31 MDT Print View

Just wanted to say thanks again to whoever put chaff in its own quarantined area:). All that needs to happen now is to make it impossible to post memes or YouTube links in chaff threads:).

Here in NZ I occasionally see a hunter with a rifle when out hiking. I stay out of the bush during the roar, but most of the time I don't worry about it. Tragically most deaths involve hunters shooting their mates, because they didn't properly identify their target. However, a hiker was shot in a camp site a few years back, by a"hunter" lamping for deer from his vehicle.

I was a keen hunter of rabbits with my air rifle, when I lived in the UK (I needed to get within 60 feet and ate everyone of them.) But I don't currently hunt.

Don't really have anything to say on the gun debate, except that if everyone kept them locked when they aren't using them, that would be great. However, I suspect that even on this issue there will not be complete agreement.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Guns on trails on 07/08/2013 17:54:31 MDT Print View

I am a newbie here on this site, but not new to backpacking. I think a little reality check is in order here. And I do realize the original intent of this thread was humorous but developed into something entirely different. I thought that one thing had been left out, and that was the input of someone such as myself. I'm in my 50's, female and a college graduate. What to do when encountering guns on trails? Nothing in my opinion. A gun is a tool like a hammer, you can choose to use one or not. I'm a person who carries (CCW) for several good reasons. I was unfortunately, assaulted and raped by a man, in what I always thought was a remote relatively safe place. Sufficient to say it was in the Rockies in the 1980's when I was a much younger woman. Now I currently live in an area our government has given to Mexico, our border, and areas I have hiked and ridden my horses in for 40 years are taken over by the drug cartels even though it's America, and heck yes I'm armed 24/7. I hike every day. And I am extensively and continually training with various firearms and was before the assault, but my attacker made sure I was disarmed before the attack. So now I carry 24/7 except for entering government buildings. And for those of you who accuse those of us who are armed of being paranoid, well my take on guns is the same as wearing a helmet, you don't really need one till you REALLY need one, and those who refuse to wear helmets either haven't had enough accidents to know better and those who say guns are for paranoid people obviously have never been assaulted or raped. I'm not paranoid, I'm experienced and I will never allow another human being to assault me again.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Trolls on 07/08/2013 18:40:04 MDT Print View

'And I do realize the original intent of this thread was humorous but developed into something entirely different."

Actually it didn't - it was hijacked by a few people, and those handful of people persisted. It is often the same handful that do it over and over again on the different threads. And some of those people took fairly simple polite comments, even from some of the known nicest people on here, and immediately twisted them around into fightin' words.

There is a word for it - Troll. It is something about certain personalities and the web that seems universal, but I think most bonifide trolls don't think of themselves as troll as all. But they are.

Anyway, the OP, and most of the participants, even after it was hijacked, were taking it humorously. The very title of the thread is a joke - of course almost no one DOES anything. In addition almost no one actually CAREs if you carry a gun, so get over it. Some of us might think is unnecessary, but I also think taking a ipad or kindle is even more unnecessary. If I run into Hannibal Lecter on the trail, or have a sudden uncontrolled desire to play angry birds, then I will feel like a fool.

Also I (and am guessing many others on here) don't give a damn about your politics, or those of the "other" side. If you guys want to just keep pissing on each other's shoes I think maybe a separate, clearly labeled thread might be more useful. Or maybe a more politics-related site altogether.

Of course it IS chaff so feel free. The main issue to my mind is that the trolls are not only intentionally offensive a lot of the time, but are terribly predictable and boring, and hence aren't that entertaining. It is kind of a pain to look through all their screeds to find entertaining stuff. Its an issue of efficiency.

Edited by millonas on 07/08/2013 18:52:36 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Trolls on 07/08/2013 18:50:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Mark.

Why always with the politics?

Seems like you can't be pro gun and not bring politics into every freaking discussion.

Edit: Further thought on the discussions here in the years past I will retract the pro gun and politics comment. Both sides are guilty of that. But they always start it ;)

Edited by kthompson on 07/08/2013 19:59:43 MDT.