Forum Index » Chaff » what to do when encountering guns on the trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Guns on 06/30/2013 15:29:02 MDT Print View

Guess i'm a Constitutional Conservative Quasi-Libertarian, then?
(sigh)...as for Ken's "Teabilly" comment...unfortunately, I have been dealing with nasty remarks like that this whole thread.

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/30/2013 15:32:50 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Well done Gross Bob! on 06/30/2013 15:59:02 MDT Print View

"I think anyone going armed anywhere should be trained and competent with their weapon of choice"

+48

I'm saying this as a gun owner and a believer that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, it's too bad that the Bill of Rights isn't mirrored by a Bill of Responsibilities.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Guns on 06/30/2013 16:03:27 MDT Print View

Matthew I see it this way. A lot of what The Republicans want to do for this country does not jive with me nor a lot of others out there in this great country. Ban abortion (me personally, I don't like abortion, but it is not for me to say what a woman does with her body), restrict who wants to be married, deregulate just about anything they can get their hands on, etc. The whole religious right make themselves out to be lunatics...ie...Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Rand Paul, Sarah Palin....well you get the picture. The Republican Party sure does not resemble what good ole Ronnie Reagan had back in the 80's......right???? I have seen enough of the BS that the far right has flung at Obama and the way Libs are marginalized, and to be honest I find it disgusting. Sorry but there are a lot of folks that hate the fact that there is a black President. The whole gun debate that the Government is here to take your gun is paranoid to say the least. The proclamations of "you're going to have to take my gun from my dead body" stuff is hilarious. Yeah militias galvanizing to protect us from the tyranny of our Govt. LOL....see long that slaughter will have to take to get finished. Yep just call me a raving Lib that lives near Santa Cruz and wears Birkenstocks all day......furthest from the truth. Obviously you can believe what you want to. But carrying a firearm while backpacking borders on paranoid and delusional. There is more danger driving to a trailhead than backpacking. Yep those crazed backpackers, 20 miles from civilization is gonna getcha!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Guns on 06/30/2013 16:06:38 MDT Print View

"--Exactly. I never labeled myself that, you guys did. I consider myself a Constitutional Conservative. Reagan said that he did not leave the Democratic party, it left HIM....I feel the same way about the Republican party at this point, and that's a shame because the Republican party have been champions of civil rights and liberty, as well as less government intervention, historically. They need to get back to their roots in order to survive. They could have 11 million new voters registered soon, if they just let them know they stood for jobs, low taxes, less government and traditional family values (issues very important to the Mexican families of today)."

Mathew I actually agree with that. But until The GOP stop with the crazy talk it will not happen. The House will oppose the immigration bill which will disenfranchise more people that are not white and middle class. Opposing same sex marriage will do the same. The GOP is way out of whack with society and what this country has changed to

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Really? on 06/30/2013 16:09:57 MDT Print View

Haven't really had a reason to carry while backpacking yet and don't see a reason why I would in the future, but wondering if anyone that has open carried legally while on a trail has actually had negative comments made to them regarding their gun...? What would one even say to someone that is carrying safely and legally? Sorry if I'm a little clueless on this one .... not trolling, I promise..... genuinely curious.

Edited by tracedef on 06/30/2013 16:15:32 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Guns on 06/30/2013 16:20:50 MDT Print View

"that's a shame because the Republican party have been champions of civil rights and liberty, as well as less government intervention, historically."

You've got to go pretty far back in history for that, the Republicans stopped being the champions of civil rights and liberty decades upon decades ago.

"They could have 11 million new voters registered soon, if they just let them know they stood for jobs, low taxes, less government and traditional family values"

Traditional family values is a term that's always made me smile. It sounds good but doesn't really mean anything beyond boy marries girl and then they breed (none of that boy marrying boy and girl marrying girl stuff). I know some republicans like to recall the good old days of the 50s. Of course, the family values of the 50s included (for the working class) the belief that women should stay at home and take care of the kids while dad brought home the bacon - which tied far too many women to abusive husbands because they had no real way out. And the local authorities far too often turned a blind eye to the abuse, and clergy far too often counseled women to stay with their abusive spouses. Those women who did venture into the workplace met with significant harassment and less pay for equal work. Nah, not a fan of traditional family values!

As far as the rest, neither party stands for jobs, not in any meaningful way. Both parties sold out long ago - both support laws and regulations designed to continue the transfer of wealth to an ever smaller group of people. It's been going on for quite some time, regardless of which party held the reigns.

In my opinion, almost all of our politicians are clowns these days, on both sides of the aisle. Of course, the republicans have some of the more publicly ignorant clowns - the Gohmerts, the Bachmanns the Palins and the Cruzes exhibit the worst aspects of human nature - and they relish doing it for the cameras!

Oh well, you're a Constitutional Conservative, I'm just a cynic. :-) I have no doubt that when I make it back out to Oregon one of these days we'll enjoy a hike together.

Hope your son is well and is home soon.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Skin Color. on 06/30/2013 16:28:22 MDT Print View

"Sorry but there are a lot of folks that hate the fact that there is a black President."

I disagree, Ken. My problem is not that the President is black, but that of his administrations policies and his wiping his a$$ with our constitution. Race does not play a factor in that at all. I could care less. I know, personally, I would have no problem voting for whatever candidate I most agreed with, regardless of their skin color. Democrats are the ones labeling people based on color and ethnicity. Dr. Ben Carson is a great example of someone I would vote for in a heartbeat. If he does run in 2016, you can bet the first thing he will be called is an "Uncle Tom" by those on the left that want to keep blacks dependent on the government. "How could a black man be a conservative? He MUST be brainwashed or an Uncle Tom!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA

I know you hate my me me's, but the one below is 100% true. They are FACTS.

r

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/30/2013 16:32:17 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Guns on 06/30/2013 16:34:08 MDT Print View

@ Doug

Thanks for your post.
I want to be Doug when I grow up.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Skin Color. on 06/30/2013 16:38:28 MDT Print View

Matthew, I never wrote that you indvidually have an issue with Obama being black. But there are plenty that do. If you don't believe that racism is alive and well in this country think again. Believe me, I can offer up 100's of these

meme

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Guns on 06/30/2013 16:39:06 MDT Print View

"But carrying a firearm while backpacking borders on paranoid and delusional. There is more danger driving to a trailhead than backpacking."

I just don't get why people continue to say this. Did anyone read the article Matt linked to earlier in the thread? You should. It was a well-reasoned, non emotional commentary on carrying guns while backpacking.

A gun is a simply another tool in a person's backpacking arsenal (pun intended). Some folks use groundsheets, some don't. Some folks carry extra clothes to sleep in, some don't. Some folks carry a pretty substantial first aid kit, some don't. Some folks carry a gun, some don't.

Personally, I think that being so troubled about people packing while backpacking more closely borders on the paranoid and delusional than those who decide to carry a gun. Yep, those crazed backpackers with guns, 20 miles from civilization is gonna getcha!

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Freedom on 06/30/2013 16:41:05 MDT Print View

"Hope your son is well and is home soon."

Thanks, Doug! He's doing well in Afghanistan (even though he's a GINGER in 120 degree heat!), and is one of the reasons we are all able to have these nice "discussions".

c

c

c

c

M
OOOOOOOOOORAHHHHHHHHHH!

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/30/2013 16:51:14 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Skin Color. on 06/30/2013 16:41:42 MDT Print View

Ken,
Is that not clearly a cartoon mocking the right, most likely from someone more closely affiliated with your position, trying to make a point?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Skin Color. on 06/30/2013 16:57:24 MDT Print View

Here is this better?

race

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Lyin' African. on 06/30/2013 17:02:53 MDT Print View

Ken...nothing about race in that last one, just the fact that we have someone in the white house who lied about being born in the US.

M

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Lyin' African. on 06/30/2013 17:08:05 MDT Print View

Since when is Hawaii not part of the U.S.?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Lyin' African. on 06/30/2013 17:20:30 MDT Print View

Sooooo Matthew you are a birther huh?

Lol...figures

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Right. on 06/30/2013 17:21:13 MDT Print View

"Since when is Hawaii not part of the U.S.?"

---Right... (wink). And we should believe him about that because he's so transparent and never lies. Gotcha'.

M

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Skin Color. on 06/30/2013 17:35:43 MDT Print View

I care little for the ideological arguments. They seldom bear any resemblance to thoughtful discourse. Ideologues from the right and left tend to rewrite history to match their own agendas. But as a historian , let me correct a few things wrong with the facts in the poster.

1. MLK was not a Republican..
2. A majority of both parties voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
3. The blacks elected to congress in the 1800's were not part of the conservative wing of the Republican Party.

And let's not forget what party southern dem's joined after a Democratic president signed CRA into law.

It used to be that both parties had liberal and conservative wings. They bore little resemblance to the two parties today. The CR Act and the Voting Rights Act caused a major realignment of the two parties. Unfortunately, ideology often blinds us to the realities of our past. Now for me, back to the forums that I usually haunt. Political discussions are too much of a busman's holiday for me!

Edited by bj.clark on 06/30/2013 17:38:41 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Skin Color. on 06/30/2013 17:46:09 MDT Print View

"It used to be that both parties had liberal and conservative wings. They bore little resemblance to the two parties today."

This is, perhaps, one of the saddest things of all, that and the moderates seem to be pretty much gone now.

Thanks for the post BJ.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

MLK WAS A Republican. on 06/30/2013 18:07:16 MDT Print View

BJ " MLK was not a Republican.. "

This is simply not true. See article below. I also had the pleasure of meeting his daughter, Dr. Avita King, this year, and she confirmed that he WAS, in fact, a Republican. I asked her myself. In the same conversation, she admitted that he would be disgusted with the way the party is run today. This is as close as you can get to the horses mouth (unfortunately--- for us all).

http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/2013/01/martin-luther-king-jr-was-a-republican/

This is a picture of my wife and Dr. King (I was the one taking the picture):

avita

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/30/2013 18:14:51 MDT.