what to do when encountering guns on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/18/2013 22:13:40 MDT Print View

Ok, maybe you don't like guns. Why do I have to give up MY hiking experience to save you the 90 seconds out of your whole hike you see my gun because you don't like guns in the wilderness?

Yes, I agree that I have a big responsibility and it's one I take very seriously. Am I perfect? Of course not. But I just can't get over the nastiness some people have over guns on the trail.

It's a puncturing tool. Like teeth of a wolf or cheetah, the proboscis of the mosquito, or the talon of the falcon....how is an unpleasant experience with a gun any different from that? Because I brought it there ?

I don't like mountain bikes, but hey, on trails where they are allowed? oh well. Horses? Same thing. How about large groups? Or as Tipi said, the sound of helicopters, or nearby roads, or motor boats, or planes..........I guess I don't understand how the purity of YOUR wilderness experience trumps mine.....

Ok. I'm done.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/18/2013 22:49:01 MDT Print View

I typically mount the offending gun owner to establish alpha dominance.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 00:12:47 MDT Print View

I went hiking last year near Cache Creek. I brought along my rifle to do some hunting. That area is usually pretty deserted and anyone else there is a hunter. It's normal to not see another person for days.

Well, apparently someone wrote up in a Sacramento newspaper that there were a bunch of bald eagles there. And a ranger was doing guided tours.
I showed up near the trailhead with a rifle over my shoulder and had to walk by a bunch of small children on a field trip and soccer moms. It was awkward.

There are no cops on the trail to protect you. Wanting to carry a firearm is completely reasonable. Everyone complains about America's love affair with guns but I'm more concerned about the irrational fear of weapons. You can't even bring a squirt gun to school now without causing a lockdown. There was a time when you could carry a pocket knife to school and leave your shotgun in your truck and the world wasn't filled with pussy liberal protectionists.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 00:26:53 MDT Print View

Justin,

With Craig on the trail, you might be better off with chastity shorts than a gun.... especially if you have a purdy mouth.

There's also the chance that the OP may have been tongue in cheek but let’s not let that stop a 3000 response gun thread.

And go!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 06:22:00 MDT Print View

I urinate on it. Then it is my territory. Craig and I will have to see who can pee higher like my two dogs.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 10:03:03 MDT Print View

Just hike on and ignore them, unless they are deliberately pointed at you.

If that is the case, stand still, raise your hands, and pay very close attention to whatever the person on the other end of the weapon is saying.

ll

Edited by wandering_bob on 06/19/2013 17:41:34 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 13:20:02 MDT Print View

Well...easy. A CPL and a SafePacker. Not hard at all ;-)

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 14:29:30 MDT Print View

I wonder if a person who is scared of guns (and maybe for good reason) sees someone coming down the trail aiming a dog at them... nevermind

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 14:55:47 MDT Print View

"I typically mount the offending gun owner to establish alpha dominance."

Darn you anyway, Craig. I just blew tea all over my wife's brand new keyboard and now there's gonna be hell to pay for sure. ;0)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 14:59:09 MDT Print View

"Ok, maybe you don't like guns. Why do I have to give up MY hiking experience to save you the 90 seconds out of your whole hike you see my gun because you don't like guns in the wilderness?"

They're rollin' out the guns again, a-roo, a-roo......

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: what to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 15:21:24 MDT Print View

Craig:
"I typically mount the offending gun owner to establish alpha dominance."

Too perfect. Had me laugh- out- loud; students looking at me like I am a nut. Well worth it.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
What to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 17:39:57 MDT Print View

Be Prepared.

sign

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: What to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 21:37:32 MDT Print View

"Ok, maybe you don't like guns. Why do I have to give up MY hiking experience to save you the 90 seconds out of your whole hike you see my gun because you don't like guns in the wilderness?

Yes, I agree that I have a big responsibility and it's one I take very seriously. Am I perfect? Of course not. But I just can't get over the nastiness some people have over guns on the trail.

It's a puncturing tool. Like teeth of a wolf or cheetah, the proboscis of the mosquito, or the talon of the falcon....how is an unpleasant experience with a gun any different from that? Because I brought it there ?

I don't like mountain bikes, but hey, on trails where they are allowed? oh well. Horses? Same thing. How about large groups? Or as Tipi said, the sound of helicopters, or nearby roads, or motor boats, or planes..........I guess I don't understand how the purity of YOUR wilderness experience trumps mine....."

Ah...imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: What to do when encountering guns on the trail on 06/19/2013 21:48:48 MDT Print View

"Ah...imitation is the greatest form of flattery."

It gets worse, he's moving to Austin too......

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
It's not about hunting..........what part of "Shall not be infringed" do people not get? on 06/27/2013 00:19:55 MDT Print View

As an UL hiker AND gun owner, I know I am more concerned about people than animals on the trail. I occasionally carry (the lightest 9mm I could afford), and don't really care what people might think. It's my right...it's YOUR right...it's called the Second Amendment and it's not about hunting rights, it's about DEFENSE (personal protection of you and your family and property, and against a tyrannical government or anyone else that would take those away from you). It goes like this:

2nd

And my hiking gun (Ruger LC9 9MM):

ruger

Edited by bigfoot2 on 06/27/2013 00:21:37 MDT.

Peter S (masc. über linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: It's not about hunting..........what part of "Shall not be infringed" do people not get? on 06/27/2013 05:29:42 MDT Print View

What exactly concerns you about people on the trail?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: guns and morons. on 06/27/2013 06:17:52 MDT Print View

Relax Matthew, don't go off half cocked. It's a satire thread.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: guns and morons. on 06/27/2013 07:24:45 MDT Print View

Since this is chaff...and almost as fun a dog on the trail thread:

Matthew, what part of "a well-regulated militia" don't you understand? Well-regulated. That means, well, rules. Not a free-for-all.

I'm fine with people carrying guns in responsible ways, in responsible places. I do think people watch too much tv and think they are going to be like Rambo when a crazy person shows up. I mean, how much do police officers and military folks train? Constantly or their skills go south. So some yokel who thinks that because they shoot at a targets a few times a year is going to be poised, in control, aiming well, shooting only the intended target when faced with an adrenaline filled scary situation (charging bear? Drug crazed crazy person?) when the attacker has the benefit of surprise...it kind of makes me shake my head. Lay off the testosterone people.

But if it makes you happy? Go for it. Just be realistic about how safe that gun really makes you. And don't point it at me.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Re: guns and morons. on 06/27/2013 07:26:04 MDT Print View

And really. Hikers are generally a pretty cool and laid back group of people. Who do you plan on shooting?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: guns and morons. on 06/27/2013 09:51:34 MDT Print View

Tyrannical Government.....Lord. ....you're one of those. Yep the big bad Obama army is coming to get ya