Footwear coming back from an ankle injury
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: "Footwear coming back from an ankle injury" on 06/18/2013 20:31:05 MDT Print View

Sumi that's great to hear. Sounds like you're in good hands and that's great.

Given that information, I have no qualms whatsoever about recommending that you just go back to the shoes you were using prior to your injury. And I would not recommend starting with boots then transitioning to runners...just ease back into backpacking with the trail runners.

Good luck!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Footwear coming back from an ankle injury" on 06/18/2013 22:22:40 MDT Print View

> And I would not recommend starting with boots then transitioning to runners
Indeed, I would even rather hesitantly suggest that the lighter the footwear, the less strain on the injured part of your foot.
In other words, putting big heavy boots on an injured foot would just increase the strain on the recovering bits.

What so many medicos do not understand is that the weight of a light-weight pack is but a small fraction of your body weight. Most of the load on your feet comes not from the pack but your own body.

Shoulder injuries excepted!

Cheers

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Footwear coming back from an ankle injury" on 06/18/2013 23:17:31 MDT Print View

I don't think that the weight of the boot/shoe is a factor. After all, I've been lugging around a knee-high cast and then a big clunky orthopedic boot for the last 3 months.

The issue is protecting the integrity of the ankle joint, so that the spacing in the joint isn't compressed. They're most concerned about anything high-impact; I definitely won't be running for a while. Doc didn't recommend any kind of braces against lateral movement, just wants me to stick to low-impact exercise and wear something cushy for a while.