Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best lightest pillow recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe S
(ThreeRidges) - M
Exped + Buff + Shirt on 06/20/2013 10:57:08 MDT Print View

I get a great nights sleep with a less than fully inflated Exped (better feel)covered by a Buff in which I stuff a shirt or base layer into for a better cushion.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
thermarest pillow on 06/20/2013 11:34:56 MDT Print View

They have one that is a synthetic fill. I love it I have tried several air pillows and the cloths/stuff sack/ backpack thing. but now I carry no extra cloths at all. this pillow is perfect. It has good support is soft to the touch. Its a tad heavy but for me so worth the great nights sleep.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Neoair Pillow? on 06/28/2013 11:23:38 MDT Print View

Have any of you tried the Neoair Pillow? I got a Cocoon pillow for my wife and I gave it a try also- seems nice for side sleeping (me) but a bit rolly for back sleeping (her).

Thinking of the Neoair with a thin fleece cover on top. Wondering if it would be noisy as has been reported with the pads. Also trying to decide on the small, which could go inside my sleeping bag hood, or medium which would go outside and also be useful as a seat.

We're inside four weeks until a monthlong family backpack trip, so prepping is ramping up! Thanks in advance. Jim

Edited by jimqpublic on 06/28/2013 11:28:40 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
neo on 06/28/2013 12:02:29 MDT Print View

I use a small neoair, only 1.9oz, nice and simple and cheap 20$ at camp saver right now.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Neoair Pillow? on 06/28/2013 12:14:45 MDT Print View

I tried the NeoAir pillow, thinking that since I love the mattress so much, the pillow would be nice and supportive. Long story short, I didn't like it, no matter what inflation level it was at. It always felt like a hard balloon.

For comfort, the best pillow I have tried is the Klymit Kush. It's heavy (mine is 3.1 oz), but I plan on cutting it down some in the next few days, so we'll see how much I can shave off.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Re: Neoair Pillow? on 06/28/2013 15:39:18 MDT Print View

Thanks guys. I ordered both Small and Medium Neoair from CampSaver. Figured one for my daughter and one for me. If we don't like them they go back.

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: Neoair Pillow? on 06/28/2013 17:26:05 MDT Print View

I was MooseJaw last week, and I got right on the ground with a neoair mattress & the neoair pillow. Just not enough height in that pillow. It is a few inches to short. It was very stable, and I tried to figure a way to make it work, but in the end, it was to short for my liking.

Scott Simcox
(Simco) - F - M

Locale: Nashville
Re: Goosefeet Gear - lightweight pillow on 09/17/2014 01:01:28 MDT Print View

The cat, the dog, the sirens, the traffic...one of the unintentionally funniest review videos I've seen.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Lightest pillows... on 09/17/2014 06:32:59 MDT Print View

So many choices, RJ needs to weigh in with an article. Love the "hard-core hobo .." reference though...

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
NeoAir + goosefeet on 09/17/2014 18:27:09 MDT Print View

I have a NeoAir (med) pillow with a down pillow cover from Goosefeet. Really happy with it. Quite comfortable. 6.4 ounces including a stuff sack.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Best lightest pillow recommendations on 09/17/2014 18:43:55 MDT Print View

A cut down silk liner (to pillow size)stuffed with a layer or two of day clothing.
Many have tried the stuff sack/clothing combo and did not like it at all.
I did the same on and off several times , did not like it either.
Then by chance a mate made that pillow case for me and I realised that what I had not liked before was the feel of stuff sacks and the like against my skin.

If you have a silk liner try it (before cutting it...)
Note that I user it inside the sb to avoid migration.
silk pillow

tom lakner
(lakneremu) - MLife

Locale: midwest
Best lightest pillow recommendations on 09/17/2014 18:50:03 MDT Print View

I agree with Randy about the Monkey Pillow and Exped combo. Great sleeping duo

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
Best lightest pillow recommendations on 09/17/2014 19:19:48 MDT Print View

I also use the Monkey Pillow (size large) but with a large Flex Air pillow and stuff my down puffy in on top. Very wide for rolling around, cushy yet supportive, straps hold it to my pad, and only 2.9 extra oz.

Clifford Deakyne
(cliffdeakyne) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
"Best lightest pillow recommendations" on 09/17/2014 21:04:05 MDT Print View

In shoulder seasons, I sleep in a down hoody inside my lighter mummy bag, but put an medium exped ul between the folded hood and the mummy hood. This provides the extra softness without carrying anything extra. It works well if you are a back sleeper, even if you roll a little side to side.

Kenneth Keating
(kkkeating) - M

Locale: Sacramento, Calif
Zpacks Pillow Dry Bag With Internal Stuff Sack. on 09/19/2014 17:50:03 MDT Print View

I use a Zpacks pillow dry bag with my down jacket stuffed inside. But the catch is the down jacket is stuffed inside a smaller size cuben fiber bag to get the proper height that's comfortable to me. With the pillow bag only, there was too much room for the jacket to expand and the pillow ended up being too flat. It took some experimenting, but once I found the correct size stuff sac, it's been great. The other thing I like about the pillow dry bag is you just invert it with the fleece inside and it becomes a dry bag which I used to keep the jacket and other items dry.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Flex Air->giving Sea to Summit a try on 09/19/2014 20:17:48 MDT Print View

my wife has been complaining about the Flex Air and she saw the S2S ones at REI and bought two; in the store they felt pretty good, bringing them this weekend, we'll see :)