Forum Index » GEAR » Best lightest pillow recommendations

Display Avatars Sort By:
Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: "Best lightest pillow recommendations" on 06/18/2013 15:03:25 MDT Print View

+1 for the Large Exped UL Pillow. It packs down tiny and at 1.9oz, the quality of sleep is totally worth the weight. I wrap it in a fleece shirt for additional comfort and drool protection.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
lightest pillow on 06/18/2013 15:13:40 MDT Print View

is the one you leave at home :)

b

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Therm-a-rest pillow case ... on 06/18/2013 15:18:16 MDT Print View

I can't justify the bulk of a pillow. Down pillows just aren't firm enough for me. 99% of my camping is done in the mountains so I always have a parka of some kind along with me. Therm-a-rest makes a lightweight, brushed synthetic pillow case that weighs nothing. I stuff my jacket into that bad boy ... and maybe some other items to increase firmness. This way, your bulky items [jacket] serve double duty.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Works for me on 06/18/2013 17:02:30 MDT Print View

"Unless you don't carry clothes that aren't worn to bed. then you have nothing to put in the stuff sack.. can carry a lighter quilt/sleeping bag if you wear insulation to bed. multiuse etc."

Now Jake, didn't we already decide in another thread that I take too many clothes? :) You hardcore folks could always just use leaves & pine needles to fill the stuff sack.

Ryan

Fitz Travels
(fitztravels)
Backpack on 06/18/2013 20:04:53 MDT Print View

The folded back top lid of my pack. I settle my head in between the crease of the backpack and the lid.

Its kinda comfortable after a while actually.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

rock on 06/18/2013 20:19:24 MDT Print View

I find a nice flat rock and that seems to work great as a pillow... but I don't carry it from camp to camp... find a new one at each camp... :)

bill

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Re: Works for me on 06/18/2013 22:50:00 MDT Print View

I like the leaves and pine cones idea! Pine needles might be softer...

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

getting closer on 06/18/2013 22:59:01 MDT Print View

I'm a side sleeper, as is my wife. Something on the lines of one of the air filled pillows WITH a soft surface on top, maybe the down idea OR something. Not sure.

I may have to invent something, like the fella that used the FlexAir and then cut out some padding off a bed & stuck it all in a pillow case. We shall see!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: getting closer on 06/19/2013 02:58:14 MDT Print View

http://luxurylite.com/pillowindex.html

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Stuff sack with7 or 8 ziplocks on 06/19/2013 06:13:55 MDT Print View

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Traditional complaints from LW backpackers - not enough clothes, especially puffy jacket - to fill stuff sack on cold nights, and air pillows too balloon-like and heavy. Try the tip from Mike Clelland's great little book - possibly the only tip in there that really shocked me (except what he does with perfectly good river rocks).

This is simple and brilliant - bring a number of essentially weightless quart-sized zip-lock bags, fill them with air before you go to bed, and stuff them in a stuff sack. The multiple bags solves the problem of being too balloon-like nicely creating a nice yielding cradle for your head. Very comfy, and really the bags do hold the air! Clelland goes a little hard-core hobo with it and uses one of those onion/potato plastic net sack from the grocery store for this, but I prefer one of those fleece covered nylon jobs that doubles as a clothes bag (1.7 oz for me). When you do have extra clothes you can use them in the bag as well. Mix and match to you own tastes, but you will always have an alternative right there, even when it is cold and you have to wear your puffy jacket. All of this for essentially no weight and volume, but you can count the fleece cover (fraction of an oz) as extra if you want.

Please try it out before you poo poo it - you can test it for free with at home without any trouble. I thought it was nuts, and it pretty much works for me as well as any more bulky pillow. Now I pretty much can't imagine a better, more flexible solution.

Edited by millonas on 06/19/2013 06:20:46 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: getting closer on 06/19/2013 06:31:05 MDT Print View

I seem to have found my nirvana with the exped large UL pillow stuffed in a down pillow case from goose feet. Stick mentioned it on his blog and after seeing that I just had to try it. It is literally unbelievable how small that exped pillow stuffs down (ever so slightly larger than my thumb) and I just stuff the down case in with my quilt - dont even notice them.

How all you young whipper snapper can sleep on your shoes or what not ill never understand. Just call me when the rheumatiz sets in....then we'll talk...

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Works for me on 06/19/2013 07:01:54 MDT Print View

"Now Jake, didn't we already decide in another thread that I take too many clothes? :) You hardcore folks could always just use leaves & pine needles to fill the stuff sack."

clearly i'm not hardcore, i carry a 2-3oz pillow as a convenience/luxury item. Even when i wasn't UL i never had enough clothes to make a good pillow.. i used to bring one of the old thermarest travel pillows. I sleep on my side and need something firmer than clothes anyway.

Eli Zabielski
(ezabielski) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Platy Bottle on 06/19/2013 07:39:18 MDT Print View

Probably the least comfortable thing mentioned, but you can use a 70oz Platypus bottle, filled with 3/4 air and 1/4 water (to weigh it down). I put that on top of my shoes. It works when I don't have extra clothing to spare, and my pack needs to go under my legs.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F - M

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Cloudrest or Goosefeet on 06/19/2013 08:22:07 MDT Print View

I have two WM Cloudrest pillows and they weigh in at 4.0 oz once you cut off the stuff sack with drawcord. I think these come with 3.5 oz down.

I'm thinking of ordering a Goosefeet down pillow with 2.5 oz of down. This would hopefully get me a pillow under 3.0 oz. Since I'm a back sleeper, I don't need that much down in my pillow.

I've tried all sorts of air-inflated pillows but to no avail. They are just too bouncy. I must admit that I haven't tried Mike Clelland's rig yet.

The advantage, it seems, of a down pillow is that it might provide you extra insulation if using a quilt. People talk of stuffing insulation in a stuff sack, but if you are a UL backpacker you are already wearing it to bed.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

OpSak on 06/19/2013 09:24:01 MDT Print View

The preferred rocks, pine cones, and pine needles aside...

if you take an OpSak for odor control (I know that they are controversial for odor control, you can fill one up with air, zip it shut and use it for an air pillow. If you don't like the plastic texture, put it inside a stuff sack.

In my case, there are things I can't fit inside my bear canister that are not terribly smelly, but as a precaution I put them in an OpSak... like unscented sunscreen, Dr Bronner's unscented, First Aid kit, etc...

Bill

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

Re: Stuff sack with7 or 8 ziplocks on 06/19/2013 10:04:12 MDT Print View

I just got done doing this option & it won't work for me. Was excited to test it, as it sounded great. Just wasn't going to happen. I did several fine tuning adjustments too, as to not sell it short.

"This is simple and brilliant - bring a number of essentially weightless quart-sized zip-lock bags, fill them with air before you go to bed, and stuff them in a stuff sack. The multiple bags solves the problem of being too balloon-like nicely creating a nice yielding cradle for your head. Very comfy, and really the bags do hold the air! Clelland goes a little hard-core hobo with it and uses one of those onion/potato plastic net sack from the grocery store for this, but I prefer one of those fleece covered nylon jobs that doubles as a clothes bag (1.7 oz for me). When you do have extra clothes you can use them in the bag as well. Mix and match to you own tastes, but you will always have an alternative right there, even when it is cold and you have to wear your puffy jacket. All of this for essentially no weight and volume, but you can count the fleece cover (fraction of an oz) as extra if you want."

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: getting closer on 06/19/2013 11:52:34 MDT Print View

"Something on the lines of one of the air filled pillows WITH a soft surface on top, maybe the down idea OR something. Not sure.

I may have to invent something, like the fella that used the FlexAir and then cut out some padding off a bed & stuck it all in a pillow case. We shall see!"

It's been invented already by a guy on BPL and I bought one here http://www.etsy.com/shop/HikeBikeDale

The fleece pulls on to my Exped Air Pillow and straps to my sleeping pad. Fabulous and comfortable.

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
down jacket on 06/19/2013 12:00:46 MDT Print View

I've been very happy using a Golite Bitterroot down jacket as my pillow. It has a nice sized interior drop pocket (made out of mosquito netting), which compresses the jacket just right to be a pillow.

If I am not using this (or wearing it), I steal a down pillow off the bed at home.

A second pillow over my head masks out all the nighttime noises, and makes for the perfect sleep every time.

At the end of the day, why not bring the actual thing your head is "familiar" with?

kevin campbell
(rockymtbiker) - F

Can't do that Matt... on 06/20/2013 00:41:16 MDT Print View

"At the end of the day, why not bring the actual thing your head is "familiar" with?"

Matt, my buckweat hull pillow here at home weighs a ton! I'd need another pack to haul it in with, it is big. So, I'm stuck trying to make something.

I do know this, I don't see any sort of air pillow working. I tried a few versions today & they all had the same uneasy movement about them. I'm going to go test out a Exped Air Pillow UL at MooseJaw in the next day or so, and if it isn't any different, I'm heading towards something firm. Not sure what, but I'll find it, I know that.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Stuff sack with7 or 8 ziplocks on 06/20/2013 10:34:14 MDT Print View

"I just got done doing this option & it won't work for me. "

Pillows and shoes are thing that are very personal. Glad you at least tried the method. If it works for someone it is hard to imagine a lighter, cheaper and less bulky solution, but it is not going to work for a lot of people.