Guyline options
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
My guyline for TT Moment and Scarp 2 on 06/20/2013 19:38:08 MDT Print View

I use Kelty Triptease with a LineLoc tensioner at one end and a small polymer clip (from Tarptent) on the tent end.

This way I can always clip them in quickly if an unexpected storm comes up. Normally they are stored in the bottom of my tent bag. But they always go with me, to be used as a clothesline if necessary.

BTW, the small polymer clip is strong enough for most winds but may break in extreme (over 75 mph.) gusts, which is OK B/C better the clips break than my tent.
But at over 75 mph winds I'll be inside the tent assuming the "apocalypse position" (i.e bent over, grabbing my ankles and kissing my ass good-bye).

Edited by Danepacker on 06/20/2013 19:45:45 MDT.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Kelty Triptease on 06/26/2013 11:54:31 MDT Print View

Its been years since I owned any Kelty Triptease so I recently purchased some to compare it against my Glowire cord. Kind of like R&D Testing. Here is what I found. The Kelty Triptease weighs 1.39oz per 50' and has a diameter of 2.15mm. So everything you have read about it being 1.00oz per 50' and having a diameter of 3.00mm is wrong.

Now it could be that this cord is braided in china, but the reflective tracers in the Triptease braid are unbalanced and stick out past the nylon yarns. I am not sure if this is a mistake in their braiding process or someones bad idea to make the cord more reflective. BUT instead of placing the abrasion load evenly on the 14 nylon yarns and the 2 reflective tracers, the abrasion load is concentrated on the 2 reflective tracers. This means the cord will not last as long as it could.. Especially when used with LineLoc 3's.

That said, I tested my Glowire cord against the Kelty Triptease in the LineLoc 3's and found that due to its smaller diameter and being less round it doesns't work as good. The reflective tracers in the Triptease also get hung up and break. Again due to the unblananced weave. To top it all off, the Triptease is made in China and costs more then my Glowire cord.

Since I am biased. If anyone else is interested in testing the two together and reporting back here, I would be more than happy to send you some of each.

Thanks,
Lawson

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Guyline options on 06/27/2013 12:19:49 MDT Print View

I have used thin fishing line, masons line, ... and on to 3mm line.

I personally don't want reflective line. Stealth is often a goal if I am near roads, campgrounds or close to the trail. Being stealth gives more options as to where I can camp.

I do find line that is 1mm or less is hard to work with, especially in the cold.

2 or 3mm may be way overkill when it comes to strength, but with the thicker line I can just throw everything in my pack without major tangles when I tear down camp.

Sometimes you just want to get hiking as fast as possible, like when it is too cold to hang around.