Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
UL Baking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: New Bag on 06/30/2007 18:58:07 MDT Print View

Hehheh! I hope you like yours like I love mine ;-)

Jason Turner
(headchange4u) - F
UL baking on 07/24/2007 08:31:44 MDT Print View

I have used Sarah's method several times and it has worked great every time. Makes some excellent "fudgy" type brownies. Yum.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: UL Baking on 08/23/2007 14:07:10 MDT Print View

Sarah,

One day, I couldn't find any pebbles to keep my Ti cup off the bottom of the pot so I just added enough extra water to the pot to get the cup to float. It worked great and gave me enough hot water for a 10oz. cup of tea to go with my sausage biscuit. I have been using the BPL 1100 pot and a an Evernew 400 Ti mug (0.51oz. w/ handles and "mounts" removed). The cup wanders around in the pot while cooking but the BPL 1100 is too narrow for the mug to overturn.

I'm leaving Saturday for 7 days in the Hoover & Emigrant Wildernesses. To save weight I'm only having a biscuit every other day.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
UL Baking - Warm Delights, Steaming Bags... on 08/23/2007 15:01:42 MDT Print View

Just a note, for comparison, Glad also has those steaming bags...

Also, the Warm Delights now come in a 'mini' size... I need to get some and see how small of a pot it will fit in. The standard size fits in the Jetboil GCS beautifully...

Sam, by 'dry bag' are you talking about the zip-loc 'big bags'? Those are still current.

Edited by jdmitch on 08/23/2007 15:03:52 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: UL Baking - Warm Delights, Steaming Bags... on 08/23/2007 15:34:20 MDT Print View

Woo, I hadn't seen the Mini's yet! That would be perfect for just the kid and I :-D

Ya know, I hadn't thought about it, but I bet my MSR Ti cup would work inside my MSR Titan kettle if I wanted to do a biscuit inside it. I'd have to do clean up, but I might try that out!

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re: Ziploc Dry Bags. on 08/23/2007 19:44:24 MDT Print View

>"Sam, by 'dry bag' are you talking about the zip-loc 'big bags'? Those are still current."

Hi Joshua,
I do use the large dry bag for my down bag. I just hadn't found them on the Ziploc web site. They're a little on the heavy side but have worked well for me.

Read the descriptions carefully though.. these things run big (read huge).

Sam

Edited by samurai on 08/23/2007 19:45:25 MDT.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: Ziploc Dry Bags. on 08/24/2007 08:01:26 MDT Print View

"I just hadn't found them on the Ziploc web site"

They're there, I just can't figure out how to link directly to it.

"Read the descriptions carefully though.. these things run big (read huge)."

Yeah... no kidding... I have some (I forget which size), they're pert-near gargantuan.

Jim Cook
(jim_cook)

Locale: Land of Cotton
Re: UL Baking on 08/30/2007 20:26:20 MDT Print View

Oh man, you know what would rock? I mean really rock? Cheddar cheese biscuits! Like the kind you get with your meal at a certain seafood restaurant chain.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1945,145184-237196,00.html

Adapt this or a similar recipe (this is the first one I Googled) and you'd be the envy of everyone at chow time.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: UL Baking on 08/31/2007 22:21:33 MDT Print View

Yep! Yumyumyum! That would be easy to do, even with biscuit mix......

Walter Pickett
(wpick) - M
G.I. Canteen cup baking vs. Caldera Cone stove baking on 07/08/2009 20:49:58 MDT Print View

Hello All

Please check out this video of using a G.I. canteen cup for baking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUhKx-TC9K0

I have been trying some similar with my Caldera cone w/ MSR ti kettle. Either it's not baked all the way through or burnt on the outside. I've tried the "warm delights" which works, but they are not enough for a meal. Does anyone have any experience with this set up?

Walter

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Baking on 09/04/2009 00:18:22 MDT Print View

I like the idea of using rocks in the pot to minimize burning rather than water so you can get a crust on your muffins. I'm going to try this soon, but I am a bit nervous about overheating my pot and warping it. I'm going to be using an adjustable alcohol stove (FeatherFire) so I'll keep the heat really low.

I also like the idea of using muffin/cupcake aluminum cups. These things are super thin/light and they seem easier to get your baked goods out of because you can peel them off.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Baking on 09/04/2009 07:04:14 MDT Print View

If you have a pot you don't care about as much, try it out at home. Then you learn the mistake curve before you use your pricey pot on the trail ;-)

leon lynes
(mrgadget921) - F

Locale: south west
Re: UL Baking on 08/28/2012 22:52:44 MDT Print View

awesome post...just what the doctor ordered!

also read about using silicone collapsible mug, but the retrieval of finished goods is tricky at best...roflmao
now looking for reflector type oven...multiFUNctional campfire reflector / oven
thinking tin foil and coat hangers

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: UL Baking on 08/28/2012 23:29:48 MDT Print View

silicone muffin/cupcake cups with their own support :) my gf has a set and we've used it car camping before.. might have to bring them on our next backpack trip too.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Silly-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000NBQFKU

Heather Hohnholz
(Hawke) - M
UL Baking on 08/29/2012 21:18:34 MDT Print View

I can't believe no one has posted this yet. Jon has done a TON of research on UL baking, and has developed a pretty incredible system, it seems. I haven't tried it yet (gluten issues), but his Youtube vids are pretty dope.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7508AB243CEFC86

Edited by Hawke on 08/29/2012 21:19:05 MDT.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Re: UL Baking on 08/30/2012 20:48:05 MDT Print View

Heather – thanks for the shout out! BTW, I just got done baking a gluten free loaf of bread, I’ll post the video on YT tomorrow. Jon

Gluten Free Bread