Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thunder Bay man keeps a bear at bay for nearly an hour, uses bear spray

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Thunder Bay man keeps a bear at bay for nearly an hour, uses bear spray on 06/16/2013 11:54:42 MDT Print View

He said the bear charged at him repeatedly — even after he used his bear spray.

The biologist said making it back to his truck was like taking part in a 45-minute dance.

"We were like two feet away [from each other]," Foster described. "He'd stick his head out one side of the jack pine and I'd threaten to spray and he'd stick his head on the other side of the tree. It was almost comical, if the stakes hadn't been so high."

Foster, who has been working in the bush for more than 30 said he's "never sprayed a bear before."

"I've run into ... Grizzlies out west and black bears here, but never in a predatory attack."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/story/2013/06/12/tby-bear-encounter-biologist-thunder-bay-bear-spray-opp-mnr.html

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
One clear-headed dude on 06/17/2013 08:20:15 MDT Print View

"That's when Foster ran at the bear and blasted it at close range with pepper spray — twice."

That dude is The Man.

The left out that, when the bear was finally tired, the biologist tamed it and now uses him to pull a plow.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: One clear-headed dude on 06/17/2013 10:50:07 MDT Print View

You have to ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya...punk?

Edited by millonas on 06/17/2013 10:51:07 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: One clear-headed dude on 06/17/2013 18:27:08 MDT Print View

It was a Chuck Testa.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - M

Locale: norcal
predatory on 06/28/2013 16:36:25 MDT Print View

From what I understand when a bear turns like this and starts to predate on humans then it needs to be put down..

There have been a number of situations in Yellowstone where the bears look on humans as prey and the only solution is to put them down.