Forum Index » GEAR » BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters on 06/14/2013 19:16:06 MDT Print View

Anyone have info or opinions on using the BD Ultra Distance Z-poles for pitching a tarp?
They seem tough enough just wanting some more feedback

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 06/14/2013 19:18:20 MDT Print View

right, just not long enough. You need carbon pole jacks.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters on 06/15/2013 00:20:25 MDT Print View

BD have the heavier but adjustable FL type.
The top section has 20cm of play.
The 105-120 cm type would work with most shelters.
460g vs 270g (6.7 oz more a pair) for the UL Z

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters on 06/15/2013 21:03:52 MDT Print View

I've got the 120cm pair and it worked just fine for my hexamid; just playing with a new stratospire 1 and used both an adjustable CF pair and the BD z poles. Honestly, I got a better pitch with the z poles!!

I assume it depends on the shelter...waiting on a cuben duomid and I'm curious to see how doubling up the Z poles will work as the center pole. I can certainly take the heavier alpine cork ones, but I'd prefer to be able to use the z poles.

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
re: BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters on 06/17/2013 13:04:03 MDT Print View

I've used the 120cm ultra distance with an MLD Cuben Grace Duo and they worked great for a high pitch (tips in the grommets). For a low pitch I used the tried and true piece-of-duct-tape-around-the-pole-shaft method. Worked great as well.

FWIW, also found out they work well with the Tarptent Notch, thought not as easily as an adjustable pole. Just use the BDs handle up and angle them until you get the right height. Push the tip in the ground and they aren't going anywhere :)