Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New to the bivy world. Looking for advice and tips!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Borah Gear on 07/22/2013 00:19:20 MDT Print View

Hi all I received my Borah Gear side zip cuben and M90 bivy a little bit ago and have had the opportunity to get it out on the trail for a couple of nights. I ordered wide and extra extra long as I am 6 ft 5 and a very active sleeper. I must say that originally I was a little hesitant as I have been known to be claustrophobic , and I had a lot of fears of condensation but I am happy to report that so far, so good. I use it under a Yama Mountain Gear Cirraform cuben tarp and all is good. I have not had it above 9k but all that is about to change as I am driving up tomorrow night to start my JMT thru NOBO and will be leaving my Hexamid at home.

Originally I asked a lot of questions regarding materials and condensation. M90 was the recommendation so I went that direction with cuben to offset the excess weight of the top material. The bivy as described above weights in right at 6 oz with the supplied cuben stuff sack.

Looking forward to using this piece of gear a lot more in the near future. If you are thinking of a bivy reach out to Borah Gear. They will treat you right

Warning, this message was sent from an iPad so the spelling may suck

Edited by jeffreytsims on 07/22/2013 00:22:10 MDT.

Joe A
(dirtbaghiker) - M
new for me too on 07/22/2013 10:56:49 MDT Print View

Glad I came accross this post. I am new to bivy useing also. I actually just recieved a Bear Paw Wilderness Bug bivy and I am waiting on my MLD Cuben Patrol Shelter to arrive in the mail. I figured the BPW bug bivy will be used on buggy nights, when it is nice out I can skip the tarp. If its not buggy, I can use the bivy as just a ground sheet and lay out "cowboy" style. If its going to rain, I can pitch the tarp. My thoughts also are in winter, I can just pitch the tarp ..and skip the bivy. I weighed the bug bivy yesterday, stuff sack and stakes and it was 9 ounces. Maybe not the lightest bug bivy out there but I love the setup and options it gives me. I am really looking forward to useing my new setup in all types of weather. I am not so much worried about condensation with the all netting of the bivy and I hope it proves me right. I guess like everyone has said, time will tell how it works out..

George Davis
(nsiderbam) - F - M

Locale: mid-Atlantic
TiGoat on 07/22/2013 11:32:00 MDT Print View

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier so I could have put in a word for DJ at Titanium Goat. I have their newer Ptarmigan bivy and it's an awesome and well-constructed product. It's also more reasonably priced for a bivy I believe.