Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Thrift stores.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Consignment on 07/11/2014 11:37:15 MDT Print View

I check once in a while, but my local consignment-slash-new outdoors store jacked up all their consignment prices, and the same stuff sits on the wall week after week after week.

There are some nice quirks around that place... every sleeping bag is $50. Some are crap, some are nice...

I should hit the thrift store in town and see what I can find!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Thanks Doug! on 07/12/2014 21:50:24 MDT Print View

Being the youngest in my extended family, I had hand-me-down clothes from all my cousins till the age of 16. Everything I had clothes toys books belonged to my male and female cousins. When I started working and earning my own cash, I couldn't stop. I got to the point of having 2 part time day jobs, 1 night job and 1 weekend job. I paid for college with no loans. On principle I refuse to wear someone else's clothes now. I bargain shop IMUSA at Wally and the REI outlets and mega sales which are better deals than Gear Swap.

Now decades later, I donate large quantities to goodwill and Salvation Army, but have never stepped inside those retail showrooms.

The gear I buy I wear it till it's disintegrating. But I am the original owner.

I fully support the idea to reduce reuse recycle. But I reached a point of ENOUGH clothes mismatch from family. I digress.

Glad you guys are optimizing the resources.

Gordon Gray
(GordonG) - F

Locale: Front Range, CO
Score! on 07/13/2014 14:20:43 MDT Print View

So I was at the thrift store today thinking about this thread. I actually got a pair of White Sierra convertible pants and a Alpine Designs fleece for $12. Both items I don't need but for the price I will throw them in the rotation. What I wanted, but was too small for me, was these:

rain shell

Peter Boysen
(peterboysen) - MLife
cooking gear on 07/15/2014 12:32:54 MDT Print View

Thrift stores, and even antique stores, sometimes have decent aluminum cooking gear of various sorts. Not SUL titanium or anything, but for the price it's usually hard to beat.