Forum Index » GEAR » La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:13:51 MDT Print View

Has anyone done a JMT hike with the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor? I'm tempted to do my 6th JMT (in one month) using these. Also, I've put Superfeet Orange insoles in them. What is the opinion about these two items combined?

Thanks!

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain-running/ultra-raptor

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:18:35 MDT Print View

you've done 6 JMT's in one month ?
5 days each time ?
that's pretty great !

foot wear is a very individual thing.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:18:39 MDT Print View

Good morning,

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question but how well do the Orange Superfeet fit in Raptors? The reason why I'm asking is because I have a narrow foot and I found that the green Superfeet seemed to push the shoe out. I wasn't as concerned with my Keens as they were very rugged but I'm concerned that they would rip through my La Sportiva Wildcats.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:35:00 MDT Print View

I'm responding to both posts here.

Good laugh I got about 6 JMTs in one month. I do the JMT each year, consecutively. In one month I'll be doing my 6th (annual) JMT. Of course, I know you knew that. Still, the English language if not used like nitroglycerin can explode in your face .

My only issue about the Superfeet is whether or not I use the "E" or "F" size. In either case, I had to cut the ends down. You take your original insole and mark it's shape on the Superfoot insole.

I have both the E and F insole so I'm going to try both and see which I like better.

It's kind of an individual thing based upon where your arch is on the foot, more than the length of the foot.

I had to order the shoe a full size larger than other shoes I have worn though. Super comfortable.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:41:18 MDT Print View

Thanks. I somehow missed that there was an E or F choice with these insoles so I'll need to revisit this option.

"It's kind of an individual thing based upon where your arch is on the foot, more than the length of the foot."

+1 With my last pair, I had to go a size longer than normal so they would align properly with the arch of my foot.

Good luck.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:44:06 MDT Print View

I size up to align the arch also. I thought I was weird.

Apparently they need to look at this if in 5 min three people spoke up about the same problem.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for PCT or JMT? on 06/13/2013 11:20:37 MDT Print View

I should have included the PCT as also being in scope for evaluating the ruggedness of these shoes? I feel the sole will hold up fine for a JMT hike, I'm worried about the upper fabric covering, is it rugged enough? It is more rugged than the LaSportiva Wildcats which I tried out (in the store).

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for PCT or JMT? on 06/14/2013 09:57:04 MDT Print View

Anybody worn these on the PCT or JMT? Thanks!