Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:13:51 MDT Print View

Has anyone done a JMT hike with the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor? I'm tempted to do my 6th JMT (in one month) using these. Also, I've put Superfeet Orange insoles in them. What is the opinion about these two items combined?

Thanks!

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain-running/ultra-raptor

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:18:35 MDT Print View

you've done 6 JMT's in one month ?
5 days each time ?
that's pretty great !

foot wear is a very individual thing.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:18:39 MDT Print View

Good morning,

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question but how well do the Orange Superfeet fit in Raptors? The reason why I'm asking is because I have a narrow foot and I found that the green Superfeet seemed to push the shoe out. I wasn't as concerned with my Keens as they were very rugged but I'm concerned that they would rip through my La Sportiva Wildcats.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:35:00 MDT Print View

I'm responding to both posts here.

Good laugh I got about 6 JMTs in one month. I do the JMT each year, consecutively. In one month I'll be doing my 6th (annual) JMT. Of course, I know you knew that. Still, the English language if not used like nitroglycerin can explode in your face .

My only issue about the Superfeet is whether or not I use the "E" or "F" size. In either case, I had to cut the ends down. You take your original insole and mark it's shape on the Superfoot insole.

I have both the E and F insole so I'm going to try both and see which I like better.

It's kind of an individual thing based upon where your arch is on the foot, more than the length of the foot.

I had to order the shoe a full size larger than other shoes I have worn though. Super comfortable.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:41:18 MDT Print View

Thanks. I somehow missed that there was an E or F choice with these insoles so I'll need to revisit this option.

"It's kind of an individual thing based upon where your arch is on the foot, more than the length of the foot."

+1 With my last pair, I had to go a size longer than normal so they would align properly with the arch of my foot.

Good luck.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike? on 06/13/2013 10:44:06 MDT Print View

I size up to align the arch also. I thought I was weird.

Apparently they need to look at this if in 5 min three people spoke up about the same problem.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for PCT or JMT? on 06/13/2013 11:20:37 MDT Print View

I should have included the PCT as also being in scope for evaluating the ruggedness of these shoes? I feel the sole will hold up fine for a JMT hike, I'm worried about the upper fabric covering, is it rugged enough? It is more rugged than the LaSportiva Wildcats which I tried out (in the store).

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for PCT or JMT? on 06/14/2013 09:57:04 MDT Print View

Anybody worn these on the PCT or JMT? Thanks!

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike?" on 09/27/2014 14:29:44 MDT Print View

@ Roleigh. Did you end up using the Ultra Raptor for your thru hike? Are you still using this model? Would appreciate any other feedback too. Looking for a runner with a bit more support than my Brooks Cascadia, though I still love the fit of that shoe. --Mike

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Troll suggstion ahead... on 09/27/2014 15:08:59 MDT Print View

What?!?! A trail runner? You should get a pair of Meindl Perfekts, the original German model. They won't let you down. Yes, I've worn Cascadia 5s and 6s, and I'd recommend more shoe.

Remember, I've never hiked the JMT, I'm not sure what that really means, and I've never been to California. That means I know just what you should choose.

If you don't go exactly with the Perfekts, you're a fool! These are the perfect (see what I did there!) boots for the JMT...

Otherwise, I can recommend the LaSportiva Vertical K's...but you need to be OK with unsupportive uppers...

Otherswise, the Perfekts fit the bill. Anything else and you're a fool...

Edited because I hate you all and want you to die...

Edited by pillowthread on 09/27/2014 15:11:48 MDT.

Michael K
(chinookhead) - F - M
drying time? on 09/27/2014 18:58:56 MDT Print View

I'd be very interested in people's experience with using the ultra raptors on a trail like the JMT where you likely encounter quite a bit of wet stuff like stream crossings and/or snow. Specifically, I want to know if it dries quickly. I have the crosslites and I prefer my gore-tex boots in wet conditions because the La sportiva crosslites don't dry that fast and the water resistant uppers seem to keep in the moisture.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor on 09/28/2014 04:21:34 MDT Print View

@ Vince. "Those Miendl boots look puuurrrfect," said Catwoman. Would you consider them lightweight or UL, at 3.6 lbs per pair? I do love the idea of moldable cork footbeds. The fool is often the wise one.

Edited by greenwalk on 09/28/2014 04:23:12 MDT.

Kent McLemore
(kmac777) - M
JMT - LS Ultra Raptor on 09/28/2014 11:19:55 MDT Print View

Just off the JMT - The Ultra Raptors suited me well. I lost several cleats along the way, but the soles show not a hint of separation and the upper mesh, though covered with 220 miles of Sierra granite dust, show no sign of tears or weakenings. The few occasions my shoes got wet, they dried quickly. Very pleased.

Edited by kmac777 on 09/30/2014 15:17:53 MDT.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor on 09/28/2014 15:20:57 MDT Print View

@Kent. Did you have to size up a full size?

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
PWD... on 09/29/2014 18:51:45 MDT Print View

@ Schwartz: Ha! Lightweight the Perfekts are not...another case of posting while drunk...forgive my rambunctiousness.

My Perfekts are pretty nice boots though...

Good to hear the Raptors made it through.

Allen C
(acurrano) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
RAPTORS on 09/29/2014 23:11:31 MDT Print View

i used the raptors on a full JMT plus a couple section hikes and some training hikes and they held up very well. I would use them again, highly recommend. Ultra raptors are the same sole with a similar but more breathable upper. I have a pair of these too but haven't used them much so far.

Compared to the Cascadia, the Raptors and Ultra Raptors are noticeably more stable, definitely better for hiking in the sierras, but not as good for running. I used the cascadia's on a couple section hikes this year and while they are lighter and worked well overall, I did turn my ankle a couple times. I think next time I'd use the Ultra Raptors. The downside is they tend to give me heel blisters while the cascadias don't give me any blisters at all.

Edited by acurrano on 09/29/2014 23:17:32 MDT.

Kent McLemore
(kmac777) - M
Re: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor on 09/30/2014 09:16:24 MDT Print View

Full size up.

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
bigger than on 09/30/2014 12:10:27 MDT Print View

Not sure about consistency through the whole line of Salomon but for me they were bit bigger than my Salomon X Ultras.
Don't think I would take a half size smaller but they definitely fit me a bit bigger as well as a bit wider. I would take similar size as what you're used to with hiking/running shoes..

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
Neutral? on 09/30/2014 12:13:40 MDT Print View

Another question regarding the Ultra Raptors. They are described as neutral shoes, but when I wear them I feel my feet are balanced outwards ever so slightly. I haven't tried them yet outside, and am trying to figure out if they are slightly softer on the outside or if they otherwise give a bit of supination control/support (my gait is well balanced and I need neutral shoes or suffer knee pain).