Forum Index » GEAR » water conundrum

Display Avatars Sort By:
Corbin Camp
(heycorb) - F

Locale: Southeast
steripen on 06/13/2013 11:26:38 MDT Print View

I have a Steripen and I'm kinda meh about it. It works but it's terrible for anything more than 1-2 people. Just too slow and won't fit every bottle. You are putting your faith in the idea the light got all of the bad stuff. I've used a Katadyn pump and Platypus GravityWorks with no issues. Chemicals are decent option, but like some have said - they are poison. The DIY version for AquaMira or Micropur is a very small amount of household bleach.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/disinfectant-bleach-water-ratio/

Not sure I would want this for day to day use but it's an option. Katadyn recommends using bleach every so often with their filters. I usually did this when I was going to store it after a trip.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Chlorination on 06/13/2013 12:39:21 MDT Print View

Corbin: That's a good link, especially if you click on through to the water disinfection page:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/make-drinking-water-safe-with-bleach/

They hit all the major points (and actually get them right, unlike so many sources):

Water doesn't need to reach boiling to be disinfected, much less be boiled for many minutes. Chlorine works well and cheaply. But remove sediments first and confirm residual chlorine by smelling for it afterwards.

As for concerns about drinking "a poison" for days at a time - anyone on a municipal water supply is drinking chlorinated water every day for years (albeit it at a lower concentration). There are legitimate concerns about some of the by-products of chlorination - halogenated methanes, for instance, but they pale in comparison to dying young of cholera or dysentery which is what happened, pre-chlorination.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: steripen on 06/13/2013 12:41:01 MDT Print View

I use the Steripen if I only have to worry about myself. In a group, however, I have been using the Platypus Clean Stream 4L. Works really, really well!

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Presence
Re: Chlorination on 06/13/2013 13:26:00 MDT Print View

"Water doesn't need to reach boiling to be disinfected, much less be boiled for many minutes."

The CDC says "Bring the clear water to a rolling boil for one minute (at elevations above 6,500 feet, boil for three minutes)." http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html

Regarding the question of the original poster....I had both the Steripen and the Sawyer Squeeze. I sold the Steripen and kept the Squeeze. I don't feel comfortable relying upon electronic gadgetry and batteries when I'm in the backcountry. I use the Sawyer as a drip filter rather than squeezing, and it is about as painless as it gets...besides poisoning the water. I don't take the syringe flusher either...though I only use the Sawyer in clear streams.

Adrien Baker
(Adrien) - F
Sawyer .10 Filter with Big Zip Platypus on 06/13/2013 13:42:39 MDT Print View

I've been using the inline filter from the Sawyer water bottle kit with my Platypus Big Zip for a few years now and have been very pleased. Occasionaly I use a 1L Push Pull for in camp if I don't feel like fussing around with my bladder and hose.

Adrien

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
sometimes a thousand words is better on 06/13/2013 13:48:28 MDT Print View

Tipi said: "But why try to explain it when a single pic will do---"

I wish you'd stuck with just explaining it...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: sometimes a thousand words is better on 06/13/2013 13:59:10 MDT Print View

Tipi..... dude..... wow!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: sometimes a thousand words is better on 06/13/2013 14:02:09 MDT Print View

No sh*t. I mean....

Corbin Camp
(heycorb) - F

Locale: Southeast
Bleach on 06/13/2013 14:02:24 MDT Print View

Yeah... I think I pasted the wrong link. Oops.

Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Water on 06/13/2013 14:05:09 MDT Print View

The moderators can delete that pic if they want, I was just responding to Kate's post; and we all know what turd piles look like. I actually held back from posting more from my "photo turd archive" but over the years I have seen stupendous examples of Turds Left Behind and Loads In Bad Places. Point is, never underestimate the stupidity of humans and never assume a water source is wonderfully pristine.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Water on 06/13/2013 14:08:04 MDT Print View

"The moderators can delete that pic if they want.."

Man I hope not! That $%!+ had me in tears laughing!

I think Chaff needs a subcategory for surface bomb pics.

Edit: "Photo turd archive" LMAO!

Edited by IDBLOOM on 06/13/2013 14:09:12 MDT.

Tom Dowser
(DaFireMedic) - M

Locale: Southern California
Sawyer vs SteriPen vs Chemical on 06/13/2013 14:08:54 MDT Print View

I have a SteriPen, a Sawyer in-line, and I always carry a few individually wrapped tablets as a back up. The Sawyer (IMO) is by far the best combination of convenience, sustainability, cost effectiveness, and reliablility, and the weight difference is negligable. So what did I take on the JMT last year????

SteriPen

Why? The water is the Sierras is arguably the most refreshing in the world, and the SteriPen is the only one of the options mentioned (other than not treating) that does not affect the taste of the water. It may seem silly to some, but to us it was one of the simple pleasures of the trip. I wouldn't have thought that the Sawyer would affect the taste, but it does. For the local mountains and such, I use the Sawyer.

Edited by DaFireMedic on 06/13/2013 14:26:20 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Water on 06/13/2013 14:18:40 MDT Print View

Sorry but I can't get rid of this image of you standing over random steamers in the woods and taking pictures! Funny funny stuff right there! Seriously made my day.

Tom Dowser
(DaFireMedic) - M

Locale: Southern California
Treat your water on 06/13/2013 14:27:26 MDT Print View

Hopefully, he doesn't find random steamers too often.

I have a picture (and video, believe it or not) of someones waste-laden tissue left at the bank of Cathedral lake. I ended up packing it to Tuolomne for the inconsiderate squatter. So yes, water needs to be treated.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Re: Re: Water on 06/13/2013 14:34:56 MDT Print View

First I filter, then add aquamira, boil and treat with Uv :-)

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
water conumdrum on 06/13/2013 14:52:40 MDT Print View

@ Stephen M

Classic! The belt and suspenders approach.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: water conumdrum on 06/13/2013 15:01:11 MDT Print View

Nico,

I get my buddy to carry all that for me also.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
just razzin' on 06/13/2013 15:05:41 MDT Print View

Just razzin' on you Tipi. But I agree, your poop is well taken, um I mean your point.

"never underestimate the stupidity of humans and never assume a water source is wonderfully pristine." Absolutely.

One thing I see a lot in the N. Ga mountains are streams that run underground and then re-appear downhill. Many novice hikers see the water coming out of the ground and think it's a spring and then further think a spring means it's clean/pure, when in fact it might just be a stream that went underground for a bit but has a dead possum half in the water uphill...

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: Re: Chlorination on 06/13/2013 15:41:28 MDT Print View

CDC is a government agencies and government agencies tend to: 1 play things on the safe side and 2 are usually the last to acknowledge change. But recent testing has proved that 99% of harmful bacteria and protozoa are killed before water has reached boiling......

I looked it up a while ago and will not post any links. If you dont believe me thats fine that doesnt make me wrong...I'm sure if Dave wants he could explain it and provide numerous links to this fact but i dont care enough. lol

Also, I am sure the chlorine thing could be proven safe as well as the well water can be proven harmful. but I chose not to do the research just to prove someone wrong that I dont care about and wont change their mind anyway.

Yes chorine is poison- stop swimming in pools and dont drink the water in restaurants or from any other source that isnt a puddle in the ground and you will survive the Chlorining poisoning of 2013.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Presence
Re: Re: Re: Chlorination on 06/13/2013 18:09:14 MDT Print View

"...but I chose not to do the research just to prove someone wrong that I dont care about and wont change their mind anyway."

Point taken. I had those links, and the pic, already stored on my computer though. You and I may not care but there might be others who do.