Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
hyperlight mountain gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Hyperlight mountain gea on 06/13/2013 19:54:24 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone. Looking at Derrick's picture the distance between the two hip belt attachment points is actually pretty narrow. With the "float" Davey describes it should work well.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/13/2013 22:45:06 MDT Print View

"Well cant comment on quality of the tarp yet but I will come back to this once i get it tomorrow and then again after using it for a couple days."

How is it an unbacked statement given Derrick's experience?

I'm not saying anything that I haven't gleaned from your post as I have no experience with HMG myself. I think it's great that they do everything in their power to correct their mistakes, but a company with good QC (especially a fairly small company) should inspect the packs they send out to ensure that they are not faulty to begin with. Of course some will slip through but Derrick's story makes me suspect it's more than just bad luck. It's also bad for business to spend time and money making these faulty packs that they then have to eat.

Not saying anything bad about HMG packs in general, I have recommended them to many people based on people's posts about them here. I'm sure they are great when they are not faulty.

Edited by Joomy on 06/13/2013 23:02:32 MDT.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 08:39:55 MDT Print View

"How is it an unbacked statement given Derrick's experience?"

Its unbacked because I wasn't told the story or supplied proof or even a link to said issue. The only thing that was said on this thread was that quality control was an issue. Saying that QC is an issue with out an example is what I'm talking about. Sorry I am unfamiliar with Derrick and his issue with HMG. But I had a good one so far and am now looking at the porter 4400 which I almost bought but decided I wanted the big tarp instead.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 09:14:39 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:51:33 MDT.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 09:56:46 MDT Print View

When we want it fast and cheap, quality control will always be an issue. There is nothing wrong with pointing it out, just don't act surprised. It is what we have to deal with for in exchange for the demands we make. We leave the manufacturers little choice. I read the reviews just and play the odds. I've wound up with some excellent equipment that way.
"Out for delivery" waiting on my Porter 44 and 13 Fishing Omen rod. Feels like my birthday.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

HMG 10% discount code on 06/14/2013 12:54:33 MDT Print View

I dont know if this is common knowledge but I just recieved a card that says if you use the "SPRING2013" cupon code before 6-30-13 upon checking out you can Save 10%.

10% is a pretty good deal for expensive gear.

The card asked that I share with my friends. Thats you.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Locale: So. Cal.
FAST turnaround on 06/14/2013 14:13:07 MDT Print View

I just ordered an Echo Tarp and a 2400 Windrider Southwest pack today. Within a half hour I got the shipping notification. Wow! Simply amazing for a "cottage industry" manufacturer.

I'm an impatient, want my stuff now, kinda guy. It would have killed me to wait 8-12 weeks if I had ordered comparable gear from another company. Plus I leave for a thru hike in less than 2 weeks, so I would have been SOL.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

sight inspection on 06/14/2013 17:35:12 MDT Print View

Got the tarp today as promised. I gave it a good look over. The tarp is very well constructed has a nice feel for the weight. speaking of weight:

stuff sack- .4
guy lines- 1.9
tarp- 9.4
Total=11.7

Site says 10.6 for tarp with guys and 8.6 for just tarp. So to me they nailed it. They got within an ounce of the shelter weight and hooked me up with extra guy line(about double). It looked like a lot of guy line when I opened it. I have typically used much less. but I can always use extra guy line and I don't have to carry it.

I going to learn some new knots I want to try then set it up. I've never had a tarp with buckles.

scree ride
(scree)
no defects on 06/14/2013 17:50:58 MDT Print View

Checking out my new Porter for the last few hours. Excellent quality. The heavier cuben bottom I ordered has more of a spectra look to it. Appears it will wear quite nicely. While I was originally looking for a smaller pack, the 4400 compacts pretty small. It's lighter than my daypack and may even get used instead. Folding the collar in half inward makes for fewer rolls on the top and even more compactness. I like the extra width of the 4400, but I could have possibly had the collar cut down as I probably won't use it much. When extended though it may have a place in shading the sun. Sort of like a canopy, it folds over my hat when empty. Might even work to keep the rain off.
The lumber support seems to be right on for those with bad backs. I have extreme wear between my 3rd and 4th vertebra. As someone mentioned about the Z packs, they actually help the back. I feel this one will as well. I'll see once I get weight in it.
I appreciate the suggestion from Luke to get it as well comments from Chris, Davey and others who already own one. Also Mike at HMG for putting up with all my e-mails.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 19:53:30 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by eatSleepFish on 06/17/2013 16:00:00 MDT.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

11.7 ounce taj mahal on 06/14/2013 21:32:06 MDT Print View

This thing is huge!!! and weighs 3oz more than my 5x8 sil tarp. Going to add that sea 2 summit bug net and Im set!! The Tarp offers more than enough tie down spots to secure it tight easily.

If you like flat tarps like me and want tons of coverage for well under a pound this is the tarp for you.

Richard R
(alaskaoneday) - MLife

Locale: Northern CA
hyperlight mountain gear on 06/14/2013 21:40:07 MDT Print View

Hey Josh
Which Sea to Summit bug net are you planning to use? I have the one person Nano for my Ultamid and really like it so far.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 22:00:33 MDT Print View

Hey Davey, don't be an idiot. I'm not trolling, just posting my thoughts which I thought it what these forums are for. Forgive me for voicing an opinion. Just because you are an HMG sycophant doesn't mean others can't have doubts about their quality control based upon the experiences of others (regardless of their own conclusions).

Perhaps my initial post was a bit flip, and I certainly didn't intend it to be detrimental to the manufacturer's reputation. As I said, it sounds like they make great products, have great customer service, and could have slightly tigher QC procedures. I mean how hard it is to visually check that a pack is 100% when you are sending it out as a replacement for a faulty one? Whether or not that was irritating for the customer who experienced is irrelevant, it would certainly irritate me.

Edited by Joomy on 06/14/2013 22:06:17 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 22:12:15 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 12:52:31 MDT.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Re: no defects on 06/14/2013 22:42:15 MDT Print View

"The lumber support seems to be right on for those with bad backs. I have extreme wear between my 3rd and 4th vertebra. As someone mentioned about the Z packs, they actually help the back. I feel this one will as well."

Hmm...is there a reason I should consider the Porter instead of the Windrider/Southwest? Is the lumbar support better in the Porter? I really only need 45-50 L of volume, but good support is welcomed since I have low back issues.

J C
(Joomy) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re HMG on 06/14/2013 23:48:34 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by Joomy on 06/15/2013 03:23:37 MDT.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Re: no defects on 06/15/2013 07:39:58 MDT Print View

not sure, but the way I understand it is that the 3400 and the 4400 have the same shoulder straps, stays, and belt with the Ice pack having a removable belt. The 2400 WR/SW having smaller belts and 2400 Porter the same as the 34 and 44. The 4400 has some kind of plastic reinforcement for over 50 pounds.
Volume is calculated with one roll at the top. The 4400 rolled all the way down, in Mikes estimate was is around 2000 c.i. I'd say a little more.
I chose the Porter due to simplicity. No pockets to rip or compress. As I was hoping, it also compacts pretty well and as I said, it may well replace my day pack. It's lighter.
I'm still in the transitional stage. Conventional wisdom says to get your gear first. With the Porter, with it's versatility, I don't feel I have to worry about it. It will make a good transitional pack with only a couple ounce penalty. If I ever do decide that it's too big, they sell well on Gear Swap.
Back problems were one of my prerequisites. The HMG and the Exped Lightning were suggested. The Exped looks like a very nice pack as well. Interesting suspension that can be adjusted to size. A little heavier and bright colors.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Porter Back Support on 06/18/2013 09:28:48 MDT Print View

+1 Scree on the back support of the Porter 4400.

The disc between my L3-4 is actually ruptured to the posterior. To manage it I do daily exercises in which I arch backwards, forcing the back sides of the discs together, pushing the disc back into position to the forward.

This pack, and most well designed packs I expect, loads the spine below the lumbar section pushing it forward, while loading the shoulders so that they are pulled backward, creating a healthy (at least for folks like me) backward arch of the spine.

I am dialing in the pack for a 18 day off trail expedition trip in September, with an approximate weight of 45lbs. Yes, backpacking light can get heavy when the trips get long with no re-supply, and a shotgun, and other things, are necessary for safety.

It is carrying the load better than I could ever have dreamed.

Derrick

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
HMG on 06/18/2013 11:19:47 MDT Print View

It is good to hear about excellent customer service. I want to buy from companies that will work with me on my order and take care of me if there is an issue. I have looked at the Porter on and off. Excellent customer service feedback will help me decide.

Stevie Patrick
(XstevieX)

Locale: Adirondacks
HMG rules on 06/18/2013 12:17:40 MDT Print View

That's really all I wanted to say. I met them at the last Trail Days in Damascus, and they're super helpful dudes. Everything I've received from them has been top notch.