Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Taylorson
(heyjt) - M

Locale: SoCal
Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/12/2013 13:51:47 MDT Print View

Last weekend my wife and I loaded our packs and took off for a few days into the foothills of Los Angeles. Our plan was to complete 25 miles, but not rush. Instead, take time to explore--to go off trail and see sights we may have missed on past trips in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Early Morning along the West Fork

Our Route

Day 1: Chantry Flats to DeVore Camp via Spruce Grove (8-miles)
Day 2: DeVore to Idlehour Camp via West Fork, Mt. Wilson, Idlehour Camp (12-miles)
Day 3: Idlehour Camp to Eaton Canyon via Henninger Flats (5-miles)

Enjoy!

Full trip report with photos

Edited by heyjt on 06/12/2013 13:55:05 MDT.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/12/2013 14:22:57 MDT Print View

Glad to see the water levels are still ok considering how dry it has been. Really fun route, need to do that sometime seeing as I only live a couple of cities away from Santa Anita Canyon.

Thanks for sharing :)

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/12/2013 14:30:45 MDT Print View

Nice! I've been thinking of doing a similar hike in that area! More encouragement to get out there!

John Taylorson
(heyjt) - M

Re: Re: Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/12/2013 23:13:16 MDT Print View

The water levels were better than I expected. The West Fork usually has water year-round so hopefully it will continue to flow through the summer.

BTW, nice site you have!

John Taylorson
(heyjt) - M

Re: re: Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/12/2013 23:20:16 MDT Print View

This is a nice time of year to do the hike too. The flies and mosquitoes were a bit irritating in certain places but it wasn't too bad. Hardly anyone on the trails--the camps were nearly empty.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Re: Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/13/2013 11:23:13 MDT Print View

"The water levels were better than I expected. The West Fork usually has water year-round so hopefully it will continue to flow through the summer.

BTW, nice site you have!"

Thanks!

I might have to replicate your route soon, I already have some other UL backpackers I normally go with who are also interested in this route...it's a perfect local Friday to Sunday trip :)

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Weekend Backpack-- Exploring The San Gabriels on 06/14/2013 21:50:33 MDT Print View

Really nice. With all the fires about a month west of the general area, I would have never thought the San Gabriels would have looked so lush.