Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews on 06/11/2013 21:47:56 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews on 06/12/2013 00:37:16 MDT Print View

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Hexamid Solo Plus and Twin have identical footprints. The difference is the rear pole to raise up the back of the tent and create more usable space for a second person.

Doug Hus
(Doug.H) - M

Locale: Ontario. Canada
Overall Rating on 06/12/2013 05:49:02 MDT Print View

Can a link be posted for a description of the "Overall Rating" system.
Thanks.
Doug

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Wide Mouth Water Bottles on 06/12/2013 10:27:18 MDT Print View

The Nalgene 1 quart Cantene weighs 63g and comes in a wide mouth version suitable for use with the UV device. It actually holds a lot more than one quart. It's very strong and can be used with the Sawyer Squeeze as well with this mod.1L WideMouth Nalgene Cantene with Mod

Joel Benford
(Morte66) - F - M

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England
Solomid on 06/12/2013 10:38:26 MDT Print View

And here I was thinking the MLD Solomid would finally get a BPL review/rating. ;)

Those are useful short reviews. I waited for this Trail Designs vs GOLD stove review, before pulling the trigger on a stove, and it made my mind up. Thanks.

Andy Jarman
(AndyJarman) - M

Locale: Edge of the World
Using Sawyer squeeze on 06/13/2013 01:51:36 MDT Print View

Similar to Jim's mod above, I have stuck two soda bottle lids back to back with a hole between them, this dispenses with the syringe and allows you to routinely back-flush from your clean to your dirty bottle. Particularly useful with very muddy water.

Sucking the thing is not the way I drink from it. I use a small "dirty" Evernew bottle(filled from a little flattened soda bottle when scooping water from puddles)and push it into a large "clean" soda bottle via the filter. That way I can gulp, I know how much I've had, I can add rehydration salts etc and I can have a look at what I'm about to drink before drinking it!

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Part 4a: Gear Reviews on 06/15/2013 05:56:07 MDT Print View

Will, Good gear reviews.

Since the first iteration of the Murmur '12, Gossamer Gear revamped the straps on the pack. It now has poly straps instead of the nylon which would slip if the pack was overloaded. 5-6 days is a very conservative estimate for a trip with the Murmur. I have had two food bags in it and a small compression bag for the sleeping bag & cloths. I took this for about 2 weeks over the Northville-Placid Trail at about 23 pounds total pack weight at the trail head. Food, of corse, was the single bigest weight at about 16-17 pounds. The small pack is certainly capable of longer than 5-6 days.

The Steripen can be difficult to recharge in the ADK's. I prefer the battery operated Opti. A little heavier, it lasts much longer in the back country.

Joe A
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Wide Mouth Water Bottles on 06/18/2013 12:03:55 MDT Print View

That is cool. What did u use to make that. I usually use the wide mouth canteen to scoop water then pour it into the sawyer bottle and squeeze from there...your set up saves the use of the sawyer bottle

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Wide mouth Sawyer adapter on 06/18/2013 12:14:11 MDT Print View

You can get those caps premade now at

http://jetflow.com/product-detail/?pid=247

Joe A
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Re: Wide mouth Sawyer adapter on 06/18/2013 13:19:12 MDT Print View

SCORE!!! Thankyou very much for that...just ordered it.

Michael Clow
(MikeClow) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountain West
Caldera Keg F on 05/04/2014 20:21:15 MDT Print View

Will, thanks for sharing your ideas on Mountain SUL and reviews of appropriate gear. They've inspired me to cut some weight. I'm thinking of adding the Caldera Keg F to my cook kit. Does anybody know if the lining of a Fosters beer can contains BPA?