Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mitchell Norris
(trailcaptain) - F
YOU MISSED THE BEST KNIFE on 05/28/2007 14:44:25 MDT Print View

The Swiss Army Card Knife Kit has it all. It only weighs 25.5 grams and contains; knife blade, scissors, pin, screwdriver, tweezers, toothpick, ballpoint pen, ruler and light. It is a very useful tool. Just be careful not to loose any of the pieces.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
No we didn't... on 05/28/2007 15:28:58 MDT Print View

...please read the earlier posts on this thread---the Swiss Army Card Knife Kit, AKA the Swiss Card was mentioned several times.
What was not mentioned was the Tool Logic Credit Card Companion---
http://www.toollogic.com/cc1.htm
which might be worth snagging just for the knife and the itsy bitsy tiny emergency compass. The whole kit is 1.3 oz. but looks worth cannibalizing.
There are several versions inc. ones with scissors and led lights, as well.

Edited by kdesign on 05/28/2007 15:30:20 MDT.

tkkn c
(tkknc) - MLife

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest
Swisscard on 06/01/2007 15:41:08 MDT Print View

Here is what the swisscard looks like

swisstool

tkkn c
(tkknc) - MLife

SwissCard on 06/01/2007 15:44:36 MDT Print View

Here are the scissors.
They weigh 0.2 oz on my scale.

swiss scissors

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Swiss Card scissors on 06/01/2007 17:17:14 MDT Print View

Is that handle really necessary? To the grinder!

Chad Mason
(porch13) - M

Locale: Arizona
RE: SwissCard on 06/01/2007 18:54:01 MDT Print View

How sharp is that little blade? Is it strong enough to be worthwhile?

tkkn c
(tkknc) - MLife

Re: RE: SwissCard on 06/01/2007 21:38:09 MDT Print View

The SwissCards blade is comparable to the Classic's blade in strength. The tang goes about 1/2 inch into the plastic.
I would only use it for light duty cutting, it would not stand up to abuse. The tang would come loose from the plastic.
It was not sharp when I got it, It would not cut hair or paper. The blade's bevel was very uneven. I had to sharpen it.

The blade, pin and stick pin come in the handest. I carry it in my wallet.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Tool Logic---It's all about the knife on 06/02/2007 10:48:21 MDT Print View

That Tool Logic Credit Card Companion I mentioned...
Not as elegant as the Swiss Card and several of the tools look worthless---although you do get a UL means for opening up that tin of smoked oysters or that on-the-trail brewski #-) --- but the
knife looks superior.

It's all about the knife

Edited by kdesign on 06/02/2007 11:01:02 MDT.

tkkn c
(tkknc) - MLife

Tool logic on 06/02/2007 12:19:15 MDT Print View

What does the awl look like on the toollogic?
Is it metal or plastic?
thx

Dan Mitchell
(dmitchell) - F - M

Locale: Colorado
No Knife? on 06/04/2007 19:41:11 MDT Print View

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man" -Old Nordic proverb

Hey guys and gals. I'm new to the sight and this is my first forum post. Love the articles and discussions. Also, I'm a big fan of your books, Mike.

I'm in outdoor education, and I just can't tell my students to go without a knife. I always carry one and like Mike, which knife depends on the nature and length of a particular trip. I don't carry a silly Rambo sized sticker and I'm secure with the size of my manhood, But I will carry something. My dad was an expert woodsman, and I was taught to always carry something, so I will. Besides, when hiking in Europe, you need a tool with a corkscrew in it!

I do like the idea of the swiss scissors. In fact, I have a classic with a damaged case, so I'm going to extract the tiny scissors for my blister kit. Thanks for the tip!

For those of you who go without, more power to you. You have my respect.

Keep up the good work. I've learned much from this wonderful website.

Dan

Edited by dmitchell on 06/04/2007 19:44:07 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
knifeless and still alive on 06/04/2007 20:58:17 MDT Print View

After reading this thought provoking article, I decided to take a razor blade and skip the knife on my last trip. I forgot the razor. Did not realize until after I returned and saw it just setting on the table looking rather sad.

But I did still take a small pair of sewing scissors that I got at Targets for real cheap last year. They fold up. Weight is about 1/2 oz.

I also had tweezers that were hiding with my bandaids. They are about .5 oz.

For one oz, scissors and tweezers seem reasonable to me. And I will add the razor blade with paper case next time.

Will add a knife back when I take my Bushbuddy. Otherwise, it will stay home.

Thanks for the good article that made my mind expand a bit.

Scissors1

scissors2

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: No Knife? on 06/04/2007 22:13:31 MDT Print View

I kind of agree with Daniel on this one. I loved Mike's story- I think every point is completely valid...but I still carry a decent sized knife (currently a Benchmade Pika at almost 3oz).
I'm not sure I even used it much on my last extended trip, but that's neither here nor there to me- it's one piece of gear that I see as tradition and simply like to have. As a huge fan of early (like ~50,000 BCE) human culture and knowing how much time was spent in the development of specialized cutting tools, I kind of figure I owe it to my ancestors to carry something decent :) There's ample evidence that many of those poor chaps developed arthritic conditions in the jaw and wore their teeth down to stumps without blades. I don't want stump teeth. Maybe it is some trace Neantdertal/cross-species/ancient DNA in me, but I can't resist sharp shiny metal...even though I know it's not all that necessary anymore.

Now if I could only lighten my flint hand axe....

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Well. if you really want to follow... on 06/04/2007 22:27:01 MDT Print View

.... in the footsteps of our ancestors, the last great flowering of paleolithic tools created a host of bladed artifacts that only got smaller.
One of the chief characteristics of the late "stone age" toolkit was the microlith or microblade. Microblades are small stone (obsidian, quartz, etc.) flakes less than 1 1/4 inches long, with a sharp edge and a "backed" or blunted edge that could be guided with the index finger to sever meat from a carcass.
microblades
Well, what do you know----ancient SUL razorblades!

Edited by kdesign on 06/04/2007 22:30:43 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Well. if you really want to follow... on 06/04/2007 23:06:11 MDT Print View

Right on Kevin...What I'd give to get my hands on some early tools.

And from what I understand, it wasn't just to make the actual tool smaller, but to make the whole process more efficient...Upper Paleolithic tool makers focused on the blade, gravitating away from the general-purpose (and much larger) hand ax favored by the Neandertal:

"...from a pound of flint, the Upper Paleolithic blade technique could produce 305-1219 centimeters of cutting edge whereas the early Mousterian technique could produce only 102 centimeters." (F. Bordes- "The Old Stone Age")

I suppose Mike's graph of experience vs. blade size holds true for over a hundred thousand years!

I love being human...

Caleab Spencer
(caleab) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
light on 06/05/2007 12:17:08 MDT Print View

the k.i.s.s. is nice

Cornelius Austin
(nealaustin) - F

Locale: Minnesota
My favorite knife on 06/05/2007 12:19:25 MDT Print View

Victor Swiss Army Bantam weighs only 35 grams. Opens bottles, cans, pouches, blisters, cavities, The tweezers are the best tick removal tool that I know of bar none. Cuts food well too. The main blade is also good for piercing eggs prior to hard boiling (gull,chicken,goose etc.)

Neal

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
sharp things and synchronicity on 06/06/2007 19:57:21 MDT Print View

Look what I found tonight. Really old and had been forgotten. Having read this thread...

found

I performed an extraction with extreme prejudice...

extract

My scale is in ounce units. It did not move when I put the scissors and tweezers on it. I guess they're weightless : )

Thanks for the inspiring this madness (the article and responses).

Neil Bender
(nebender) - F
Re: larger knives and multitools have a place.... on 06/10/2007 08:14:10 MDT Print View

My everyday utility knife is a small pocket clip knife that weighs 1.8 oz. Usually a spyderco delica (serated)or a benchmade axis 530 (half serated). Both have about 3" blades and can be opened one handed and are quite sturdy. I say usually, because as a gear freak I collect shiny things, and knives score very high on the trinket index.

Since I have one with me on the drive to the trail head, usually there is the last minute, what the hey, an extra 2 ounces won't kill me and I hate reaching for something habitually and finding it missing (That explains the beer holster on my mall ninja utility belt as well).

Thus it gets taken along most times. I've never 'needed' the bigger blade, but for the first night's meal of frozen tenderloins and for prepping fresh veggies it's nice to have a real knife for a real meal.

Hi, I'm Neil and I'm a reformed trad backpacker. Last week I backslid three times, and had to call my sponsor for support.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: larger knives and multitools have a place.... on 06/11/2007 13:03:26 MDT Print View

Small multi tools

Utilikey 12 grams

utilikey

Larger with more tools 1.5 oz.coastmicrotool

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
that Utili-KEY thing on 06/14/2007 15:53:51 MDT Print View

Hey - I have that Utili-KEY thing (0.4369 oz) and it's nice. I got it from a website called Key Chain Tools.

here's the cool website (for nerds like the crew posting on this forum):
http://www.keychain-tools.com/