Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Robinson
(mcjhrobinson) - F

Locale: Waaay West
re: UL knives comparisons on 10/19/2008 12:32:45 MDT Print View

i think moras are the way to go. ive read lots of these posts saying how you usually never need a knife. im interested to know what your plan is when you really DO need a knife? also with these tiny blades you cant field sharpen your blade, moras are cut convexed for easier re-sharpening (have fun sharpening a serrated blade). i can think of plenty of times i used my knife: all the things you razor owners do (food, bandages, etc), cut firewood (kindling maker), if im out a stake i make one, my girlfriend also likes to have one with her for personal safety, etc. also i take less of other things to make up for that extra 2ozs.

I wonder what this thread would be like if it were "If you only had 3 pieces of gear to survive with for a summer what would they be...?"

Brian M - I got a shoemaker. Id rather go with a standard mora. It doesnt have enough blade for me and its awkward in my gorilla hands.

Edited by mcjhrobinson on 10/19/2008 14:58:13 MDT.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: re: UL knives comparisons on 10/19/2008 12:58:47 MDT Print View

When on a well traveled trail and in a NP I only carry a Derma-safe blade or scissors. I carried a pair of small folding scissors from the sewing box when I did the JMT. I never needed any thing more than those scissors and I could carry them on the plane.
That said, when Im on a day hike Im not carrying a shelter and little to no insulation. In that case I carry my Mora knife as part of my "survival gear" because with it I can build a shelter and make fire even with the loss of fine motor skills- such as when Im cold and/or dehydrated.
My guess is that most people stay on well traveled trails and in NPs so dont feel the need to carry much of anything.
Add to that the fact that a lot of people never learned traditional bush skills and so cant see how a larger fixed blade could possibly help them.