Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Emigrant Wilderness Trip.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Emigrant Wilderness Trip. on 06/10/2013 21:34:16 MDT Print View

Last weekend I took a trip to the Emigrant wilderness with 3 other people.
It was HOT. It almost got 100 and there was very little shade in some places. The nights were too warm and I overpacked in warm clothing.
The mosquitoes were very bad.
Click on the photos to make them bigger.

Edited by justin_baker on 06/10/2013 21:36:08 MDT.

David Hankins
(hankinsohl) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
RE: Emigrant Wilderness Trip on 06/10/2013 21:50:36 MDT Print View

The Emigrant looks very pretty and the snow seems to have all but completely melted away. Too bad about the mosquitoes though.

I'll be making a trip into the Emigrant myself in about 2 weeks or so. Last year I ran into lots of mosquitoes and biting flies. I'll probably plan a higher altitude trip this year - hopefully the insects won't be as bad at elevation.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Emigrant Wilderness, AKA on 06/10/2013 22:52:25 MDT Print View

Mosquito Hell... seems no matter what time of year... even in mid September one year...

g

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Emigrant Wilderness, AKA on 06/10/2013 23:02:19 MDT Print View

A truly awful place. Best to keep moving south and enjoy mosquito free Yosemite.

Thanks for sharing the pics Justin.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 06/10/2013 23:02:52 MDT.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Emigrant on 06/10/2013 23:12:18 MDT Print View

Nice. Looks like Camp Lake? Where were those granite cascades?

June/July in Emigrant can be brutal. Worst mosquitoes I've ever experienced were at Groundhog Meadow in mid-June. Emigrant is best enjoyed in the early spring and late fall.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Emigrant on 06/10/2013 23:20:08 MDT Print View

Yeah, the first night was Camp Lake.
I think those granite cascades were at Cherry Creek. We camped at the base of Louse Canyon near the confluence of a couple creeks. We explored up one of them. There were a few large waterfalls and deep pools farther up.
We planned on day hiking up to Rocasso Lake but we saw a thunderstorm move in and we turned back to camp. We would have camped up at Pingree Lake but the hike out would have taken too long for a Sunday.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Mosquitoes on 06/10/2013 23:31:23 MDT Print View

Everywhere we walked was real swampy. And many of the lakes looked very scummy and stagnant. It was a paradise for mosquitoes.
During the heat of the day we swam around and sat in the exposed sunlight. It was hot enough that the mosquitoes retreated to the shade.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
another year, another view on 06/11/2013 16:31:55 MDT Print View

This is from 2010 in August. Wonderful area:

https://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/BackpackingInTheSierraNevadaEmigrantWildernessBackcountryLakes2010#

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Mosquitoes on 06/11/2013 22:52:59 MDT Print View

Nice. We were out there about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. Still lots of snow above 8K, which meant no skeeters. The lower elevation meadows were a real bitch though. The mosquitoes were unforgiving.

Deer lake was still half frozen slush.

deer lake