Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??

Display Avatars Sort By:
jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??" on 06/11/2013 12:17:54 MDT Print View

Go! Hiking solo will eventually spoil you. I mostly hike alone and love it! Evenings, there are usually people around to share company; if not, I bring a book. Well, kindle.
Seriously, it's a great way to experience the outdoors. A different experience than going with a group. Better!

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Acronyms on 06/11/2013 13:50:40 MDT Print View

@Ian- sorry, I used DH as "dear husband" in this instance (although it could be "damned husband" under some circumstances, haha)

Scott Musack
(ScottM) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re; Maybe my first solo trip this weekend?? on 06/11/2013 13:57:00 MDT Print View

This is my first post here and I say go! You won't regret it :)

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Don't on 06/11/2013 14:20:43 MDT Print View

Don't do it, all the spooky noises and stuff. You'll be up all night wondering if there is a werewolf or something right outside your tent. Cuban isn't much protection against those type of things.

Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Solo on 06/11/2013 14:51:14 MDT Print View

Solo backpacking? Maybe the question should be---After a 3 week trip should I even bother to return home? Yes or No?

For boredom, bring a small radio (Sangean DT-180) or a couple used paperbacks and burn them as your trip progresses. Does anyone remember what a pocket book is?

Justin Baker writes "Never do a solo trip in winter", but this is an inflammatory comment and radically incorrect. Several more hours of "non-hiking conditions"(darkness) is no big deal. Is camping really all that bad?

Edited by TipiWalter on 06/11/2013 14:52:38 MDT.

Kim Fera
(kimchi) - M

Locale: Gatineau Park
Solo trip on 06/11/2013 15:03:14 MDT Print View

From one solo-woman-hiker to another, definitely go! I did my first multi-day solo trip a few weeks ago, and while I was skittish at the start, I really enjoyed it (did a section of the Northville-Placid Trail). My nervous tension made for good mileage on the first day... I thought I might be nervous at night, so I brought a cellphone loaded up with music/podcasts to listen to when snuggled in my tent (also a Stratospire1!). I ended up having a great hike (married with three kids, so it was a LOT of quiet time compared to normal life).
Cheers,
Kim

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Do it at least once to learn! on 06/11/2013 17:12:30 MDT Print View

Hi Jennifer,

I solo quite a bit and it is a unique experience, one which I cherish and look forward to. It may or may not give you what you are seeking in hiking. We all search for different things. Of course you have to try it at least once in your life just to learn about the experience and yourself..

If it is pleasurable you will go back, if not, you don't have to do it again. But either way you will have done it!

Derrick

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Maybe my first solo trip this weekend?? on 06/11/2013 21:39:01 MDT Print View

Go, you'll be glad. This sounds like the perfect scenario.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Maybe my first solo trip this weekend?? on 06/11/2013 22:25:33 MDT Print View

You and Charlie dog have fun! I've backpacked solo with dog for years. This year, I'm faced with true solo trips--no more dog. I'll have tp tale extra socks to keep my feet warm1

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Maybe my first solo trip this weekend?? on 06/12/2013 02:11:58 MDT Print View

check your gear list once more and check your packed gear twice.

There is an old methodology from the 1960s, used by the military, and sneaks into business corporate world every ten years. it's a SWOT analysis.
SWOT: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis

Basically, identify what you are really good at, then figure out what could go wrong. Then find a way to leverage your strengths and opportunities to overcome and mitigate the Weaknesses and Threats.

Example:

Strengths: You have strong legs, take a kickboxing class at the gym, you are a strong hiker.

Opportunity: People Pepper Spray is on sale. You buy a can.

Weakness: You are too trusting of strangers, and a poor judge of bad weather.

Threats: A stranger can attack you, lightning can strike, and you get washed away in a flash flood.

if a stranger attacks you, you can kick and pepper spray
leverage your knowledge of the trail to plan your escape route
Opportunity to study the weather forecast
adjust your gear accordingly.
setup a trip wire alarm with tooth floss string and a bell on your camp perimeter.

Last month someone else posted a similar question about first time solo trail confidence:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=77311

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
So... on 06/12/2013 09:47:02 MDT Print View

Are ya gonna do it? Huh? Are ya? Are ya? Are ya? ;)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: So... on 06/12/2013 10:05:48 MDT Print View

She left two days ago....

Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Solo on 06/12/2013 10:12:09 MDT Print View

I just hope she "setup a trip wire alarm with tooth floss string and a bell on her camp perimeter."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Nights are forever on 06/12/2013 10:27:24 MDT Print View

Aroooooooooooo

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Nights are forever on 06/12/2013 18:07:20 MDT Print View

You guys crack me up.

The car is rented, the dog's food is packed in his pack, and I've told a friend my plan.

I leave Friday at 2, 2 nights on the trail with the CharlieDog (who has a mean growl, by the way), have NO idea how to set up my new stratospire (still in the bag...and it's hailing outside right now), and I couldn't be more excited.

So if you guys don't hear from me by Monday...........

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Nights are forever on 06/12/2013 20:04:34 MDT Print View

"So if you guys don't hear from me by Monday..........."

Don't count on me for anything! I'm used to not hearing from women, I wouldn't think anything was wrong.....

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Nights are forever on 06/12/2013 20:41:05 MDT Print View

Thanks for the laugh Doug!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Nights are forever on 06/12/2013 20:43:34 MDT Print View

He's serious.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
You go girl on 06/13/2013 06:45:19 MDT Print View

That a girl Jen. Could you PM me with where you are going, just in case something would happen. I mean after all you got all that new gear, somebody should find a new home for it and for Chuck. Is Therapy dogs where I should take him to help him get over what he saw happen to his master? Will he ever backpack again? Is your will up to date? I always wanted to meet your dad I've heard so much about him on here, to bad to have to meet under such bad circumstances. Well at least it meant that they found enough of you to have a funeral. By the way that's a pay back for asking for my tarp he he he

Edited by mtmnmark on 06/13/2013 07:05:30 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: You go girl on 06/13/2013 06:59:24 MDT Print View

Dibs on the Circuit.

And just remember, if you don't wake up screaming.... you won't wake up at all.

(One two Freddy is coming for you. Three four better lock the Hexamid.)