Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: You go girl on 06/13/2013 07:00:02 MDT Print View

I could create a BPL will...

And seriously everyone...thanks for the encouragement! I've been reading all of the threads about why people are afraid to go alone, the creepy sounds at night, etc. But I have wanted to do this literally for years, I spend maybe 30-40 nights a year in the woods, my dog is a wonderful watchdog and has an uber mean growl when he wants, he's the perfect trail dog and absolutely will at least be a barrier between me and the things that go bump outside my tent.

But as some of you have intimated, as a woman I'm a bit more nervous about crazy meth heads in pick up trucks (no offense to any meth heads in pick up trucks here on BPL of course...) who have access to our rather accessible trails here in the Midwest. For that I think chuck would be a great help....

And I could always carry bear spray for that, too ;)

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Re: You go girl on 06/13/2013 07:10:30 MDT Print View

Please note I edited my last post

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Best laid plans.... on 06/15/2013 08:07:28 MDT Print View

Well...after all of that...I'm sick this weekend.

I was hoping it would go away yesterday while at work, but alas, no. It worsened. So I'm not one to question the universe; apparently despite all the other evidence to the contrary, this was not a good weekend to go.

Thanks again for the push...I do feel like I'm mentally ready now...just need a better weekend.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Best laid plans.... on 06/15/2013 08:31:15 MDT Print View

"Well...after all of that...I'm sick this weekend. "

I told you to close your eyes......

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Best laid plans.... on 06/15/2013 08:39:39 MDT Print View

Note to self: Email photos of Doug on Monday, not towards the end of the week. Sorry Jen!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Solutude in the wilderness on 06/15/2013 08:49:11 MDT Print View

There is nothing better than solo hiking. I could proably come up with a bunch of pithy quotes, but walking at your own pace as well as sleeping and eating are wonderful. The dog is a good idea and let's you talk out loud without feeling like the crazy lady :)

If you're worried about security, a big ol' can of bear spray should do the trick.

Hope you're feeling better and back on the trail soon.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Maybe my first solo trip this weekend?? on 06/15/2013 09:30:29 MDT Print View

Solo trips are the best since you set your own pace. I'll go on various group trips but if feeling sick/pukey that day (or whatever), you still need to keep up with the group.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Backyard on 06/16/2013 12:43:16 MDT Print View

I have only done a couple solo trips. Last night, with just a few hours of light left I packed up and walked out my back door and started hiking out my backyard. My "driveway" is where the trail starts , a trail that connects to hundreds of miles of trails, through private and public land, including Big Basin and Castle Rock State Parks.
I hiked about 6 miles, mostly uphill. I saw mountain lion tracks, a bobcat, heard deer, chased off a pesky raccoon.
I set up my hammock between two gigantic fir trees on a very steep hillside. I used three big stumps to hop on, set up and cook. The trees were charred and a lot my gear got sooty. I warmed up a delicious stew I made the night before. I ate in while hanging and watching the sunset. I used my trekking pole to push me off and swing a bit every once in a while and that's how I fell asleep, absolutely comfortable and warm and tired and worn out as usual. No need for any aid or entertainment.
I did not bring breakfast nor coffee; just hiked back in the morning where the coffee was still hot and so was the shower!! :)

Edited to add the obvious...that I did not bring my camera either.

Edited by Kat_P on 06/16/2013 12:45:51 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Backyard on 06/16/2013 12:46:27 MDT Print View

I wanna be Kat when I grow up.

While one of the shortest, that has to be one of the best trip reports I've read!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Backyard on 06/16/2013 12:54:14 MDT Print View

That's the way to do it Kat.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Backyard on 06/16/2013 13:25:21 MDT Print View

So...when I finish the PCT next year I can just move in with you then?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Backyard on 06/16/2013 14:06:24 MDT Print View

Thanks Doug and Craig.
Jen, I thought the plan was to move over to Maryland ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Backyard on 06/16/2013 17:43:56 MDT Print View

Nice trip, Kat.

The Maryland guy is really nice. I have met him. The pictures others post don't do him justice. He is kind and likes animals. The only down side is that damned Prius he drives.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Maybe my first solo trip this weekend on 06/16/2013 18:09:45 MDT Print View

We love Kat's back yard. Over the past twenty years POST, Peninsula Open Space Trust, and the Sempervirens Fund, have been acquiring land in the region, adding hundreds if not thousands of acres for open space. Glad to see you getting out into it.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Backyard on 06/17/2013 08:46:25 MDT Print View

@Kat ... kudos on your choice of a backyard!

@Nick ... traditionally, Yentels are women;-)