Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Doing Denali Light

Display Avatars Sort By:
John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: gearlist on 07/21/2007 06:11:50 MDT Print View

I'm beginning to think you won't see a gearlist. Why use the 5 letters ULTRA (as in ultralight) anywhere in a report mentioning a Denali summit when we all know that nobody can do that with less than 12 pounds base weight? The three to five pound sled immediately makes that an impossibility.

Edited by jshann on 07/21/2007 06:14:36 MDT.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Gearlist on 07/21/2007 09:04:43 MDT Print View

Hi John,
Matt and Agnes submitted a gear list yesterday. They are working on the trip report. Baseweight in their packs was about 21 lbs. More was carried on their sleds of course.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: gearlist on 07/23/2007 21:04:42 MDT Print View

Hi John,

I think that this article demonstrates the necessary flexibility of all types of lite, from ultra to uber. As some posters (Vick Hines, Michael Wands) have pointed out, in south Texas (my neck of the woods) sub-5 is NOT SUL. You can walk out your door with a poncho and a water bottle and be just fine - if you even think you'll need the poncho - through three seasons. By the same token, if you dare wade back through this thread, you'll find a similar discussion - is SUL actually sub-6 if it's winter? Taken to the extreme, and a baseweight that is double the typical UL load might still make the UL "cut" in conditions as extreme as Denali's.

Maybe our criteria is percentage of a standard load? I don't know how you determine the "standard" load, but that's one way to approach it, or at least think about it.

And yes, Matt and Agnes' gearlist will be up soon!

Your thoughts?

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Gear list on 07/24/2007 20:32:03 MDT Print View

Sorry to be an giddy impatient child ... I mean respected member, but is it coming on this week?
Jon

Robert Mohid
(mohid) - F
Re: Gearlist on 08/02/2007 14:00:15 MDT Print View

Are we there yet ?

how about now ?

Robert Mohid
(mohid) - F
list list list mfn' list on 08/21/2007 01:01:05 MDT Print View

Any time now ?

Henry Liu
(henryliu) - F
gearlist on 08/21/2007 23:48:23 MDT Print View

Any updates on publishing the gearlist? That earlier comment said it was submitted a month ago but still no updates.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Doing Denali Light on 08/22/2007 02:03:56 MDT Print View

Guys and Gals,
It takes less than a day to document a gear list. If they were going to do it they would have long ago.
I think we can just let this thread die a natural death and stop the annoying 'bumps' to the top of the que.
..oops, I just bumped it; but hopefully for the last time.

Robert Mohid
(mohid) - F
Sink his raft on 08/27/2007 18:15:08 MDT Print View

I hear ya Brett,

Thought I could maybe shame then into slashing Matt's packraft so he'd be forced to provide that list that was initially promised... and then promised again.

Oops, did I just bump this again? Damn... sorry !

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Sink his raft on 08/27/2007 18:27:51 MDT Print View

Hey guys, I'll reply to this thread too (there was another one with similar comments). The gearlist is in my hands - the hangup at this point is ME. Sorry it has taken so long!

Robert Mohid
(mohid) - F
Can't find it on 08/28/2007 14:40:23 MDT Print View

No problem,

So where did you post it Benjamin?

I don't see it in the original article...

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Can't find it on 11/18/2007 07:55:00 MST Print View

Nevermind i found it...

Edited by Pivvay on 11/18/2007 08:00:12 MST.