Forum Index » GEAR » Portable shower, after that UL hike.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan S
(DJSTWO) - M

Locale: Southern California
Portable shower, after that UL hike. on 06/10/2013 19:42:14 MDT Print View

Nothing about this is UL, but it is gear!

car camper

After a few days in the wilderness, sometimes all I want is a hot shower when I get back to the trailhead. Well this is halfway there, a cold shower next to my car...

A couple friends of mine made the video for this on kickstarter, and upon seeing it I pledged. Interesting idea, and I can see using it for other outdoor activities too. Might be of interest to some of you.

Kickstarter rinse kit

Edited by DJSTWO on 06/10/2013 19:45:07 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Portable shower, after that UL hike. on 06/10/2013 20:00:06 MDT Print View

Only a gallon and a half capacity.

ZODI anyone try those?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Portable shower, after that UL hike. on 06/10/2013 20:09:10 MDT Print View

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Portable shower, after that UL hike. on 06/10/2013 21:11:58 MDT Print View

http://www.rei.com/product/850733/seattle-sports-sun-shower-5-gal

put it in your rear window and it gets quite toasty. if just a day hike, cable lock it to your roof rack.. really hot.

or paint a $10 weed sprayer black from Home depot if you need more pressure.

Edited by JakeDatc on 06/10/2013 21:14:10 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
DIY Portable shower - 97% cheaper and 96% lighter. on 06/10/2013 23:38:31 MDT Print View

Cheap (< 50 cents): A black plastic jug, scavenged from the recycling center. Clean thoroughly. Score an extra lid and drill small holes in it. Fill with water. Lay on aluminum foil. Cover with saran wrap, or poly sheeting. Learn how to do a barrel hitch and hangit upside down in a tree when it's hot (about 2-3 hours).

Cheap and multipurpose: Buy some wine in a box. Drink the wine. (Or find such a box in a low-rent area). Save the liner bag. Stitch a black nylon sack slightly SMALLER than the wine bladder. Include a 1" flat nylon webbing handle at the top. Hot knife a hole in for the bladder's nipple/spigot. Buy the shower-head to spigot adaptor or fashion one yourself. You want pretty small holes. This set-up also functions as a 4-liter canteen, an air pillow at night, and, towards the end of your trip, can be inflated to help fill your pack and distribute weight where you want it. I've been using one for 29 years now. The same one. I bought an extra liner in 1984, and still have it, because the original liner bag hasn't leaked. I have replaced the nipple every 6 or 8 years for free, off a discarded box of wine.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Portable shower on 06/11/2013 06:16:19 MDT Print View

I'll guess this is not the feedback the OP had hoped for. Lots of good inexpensive solutions..

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Portable shower on 06/11/2013 11:56:09 MDT Print View

When I used to go off-roading, we used the pump below attached to a 5G jug...less than $10. To extend the spout, we just use a long vinyl tubing attached to the tip of the spot - this worked great plus you get a full 5G of water.

Edited by mangus7175 on 06/11/2013 11:56:55 MDT.

Dan S
(DJSTWO) - M

ideas on 06/11/2013 12:12:17 MDT Print View

Oh, I don't mind the feedback at all, it's not my product, I like the weed sprayer idea actually.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

You are not thinking this out... on 06/11/2013 21:22:06 MDT Print View

First you need a base camp tent. Something like this....

boondocking

You don't park it at the trail head, but find a scenic place with a view.

When you get back to your base camp after a week's hiking, you will enjoy

toilet
a porcelain toilet and

shower

a real shower.

If you are lucky, like me, your wife will be waiting for you with a freshly made margarita, beer, or maybe even a refreshing ice cream concoction.

ice cream

more ice cream

or if you are really, really lucky you will get lobster tail and Champagne.

champagen

Now (I am blessed), you get to spend another week with your lovely bride at your secluded campsite, go for day hikes every day, take a shower, have another dinner that can't be beat, and another romantic evening under the stars :)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Portable shower on 06/11/2013 22:15:42 MDT Print View

I surf before work 3-5 days/week and shower at the car before getting dressed. A three gallon dispenser style water jug with handle does the trick just fine.

I've started carrying it in the car for after backpacking/camping as well.

About as simple as it gets. I'm not sure this is a pursuit that warrants time and money; you just have to dump water on yourself...

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: You are not thinking this out... on 06/12/2013 08:35:02 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by annapurna on 06/12/2013 08:35:36 MDT.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Portable shower, after that UL hike. on 06/12/2013 11:59:37 MDT Print View

I just usually dunk myself and my smelly clothes in a nearby stream as I drive back from the TH (the Pecos or Gila Rivers) while wearing sandals. No soap or anything but enough to get the dried up salts off me. A quick change into clean clothes and off to a restaurant. My last few trips, one in each hiking group suggested commercial hot springs but I get really sleepy after that hot water when it's time to drive 200-300 more miles. Pros and cons.