Forum Index » GEAR » Am I forgetting anything for a Sierra trip?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Am I forgetting anything for a Sierra trip? on 06/11/2013 07:45:09 MDT Print View

Is it entirely certain this isn't simply a gag thread with the OP pulling everyones chain for amusement ?

Joel Benford
(Morte66) - F - M

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England
Gag on 06/11/2013 11:01:35 MDT Print View

Well, I find it amusing

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Gag on 06/11/2013 12:24:08 MDT Print View

I see he has posted another thread that he is looking to park his car for a Sierra PCT section hike from Kennedy Meadows to Mammoth.

If that is true, and this is actually a gear list for that section, I think food storage becomes a stand-out concern. I've personally had encounters with aggresive bears along that stretch.

Edited by cfrey.0 on 06/11/2013 12:31:02 MDT.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Am I forgetting anything for a Sierra trip? on 06/11/2013 13:59:36 MDT Print View

I tried on one trip over 10 years ago to the Graveyard Lakes, making only a copy of the large map I had, so I only needed where I was going. A little disappointed as I could not tell peaks beyond my partial map. So now I bring more map than I'm going to. Cell phone? I have a long cord from one of my rotary dial phones, they always work. It does get caught up in brush all the time.
Duane

Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Re: on 06/11/2013 21:25:55 MDT Print View

Really appreciate the good comments. The ones that are positive that is. There is a little bit of snark to some but oh well. I forgive you for being a jerk! I've brought paper maps for most of the other PCT sections. You're hiking in a straight line for 160 miles so its hard to carry a map with any decent resolution. Maybe I'll bring something. PCT is well marked is another thing that I'll mention. There are over 200 people hiking this section now as well. We stick together nearly all the time. Groups of 2-6. Not very dangerous but there is a tad bit of risk with anything in the High Sierras. Good luck on all your endeavors and any more last minute pieces of advice are welcome.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
PCT Pencil? on 06/11/2013 21:32:52 MDT Print View

How are you going capture you journey without a pencil or paper?

I am unfamiliar with "hitch materials." Can you explain this?

Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Re: on 06/12/2013 01:52:35 MDT Print View

Easier to hitch with the above. Black sharpie on tyvek with large letter written destination can help aid in getting picked up. My experience.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: on 06/12/2013 08:30:11 MDT Print View

Andrews talk .

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
160 miles straight on 06/12/2013 10:46:46 MDT Print View

"I forgive you for being a jerk!"

Your on an open forum,some of us are jerks... your forgiveness is not required.

"You're hiking in a straight line for 160 miles so its hard to carry a map with any decent resolution."

Wow how do the other "over 200 people" do it. or are there just a bunch of people wandering the sierra's in groups of 2-6? (sarcasm) honestly I like being light as the next guy but maps are just smart period. You CANNOT depend on technology in the wilderness. having sad that you will probably be fine with what you have.....Probably.

Plus maps just make me feel cool like Im an explorer or adventurer... Dont you want to be an adventurer?

Good luck on your hike Im sure despite some of our snarkyness you will have an unbelievable time.

Last piece of advice ditch the cot... have you tried some of the sleeping mats that you could be sleeping on for that weight? They are like heaven... try the 3.5 inch thermarest basecamp. also ther exped down mat 9 long and wide. Those two mats would save you the cot and the two pads and like I said heaven to sleep on.

Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Re: on 06/12/2013 21:30:39 MDT Print View

The groups of 1-6 people all are carrying something electronic basically. They follow the markers and sometimes check how many miles they've hiked with Half-Mile's iPhone app. That is the world we live in now bros. Your comment there seemed to miss a connection on logic... What do they all do? Use electronics and sometimes reference some specific paper pages they've printed off a computer.

I hear ya though...

But really the GPS and GLONASS abilities on the iPhone ivS and up are the best. And device is light. The point that paper maps blow away easier than losing an electronic device is well made. Old archaic technologies are appreciated but let's not presume its foolish to use your careful planning, good brain, e-device, and plentiful friends as good backup for directions. It's a pretty decently laid out trail. Thanks for good luck and thanks for taking my shooting back w a good nature. Good luck to you all.

Why are those snarks even on computers?

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Not my world on 06/12/2013 21:41:25 MDT Print View

"That is the world we live in now bros."

That is the world YOU choose to live in.

Even with the newest iphone in my pack I always carry a paper map. There is nothing comparable and nothing obsolete about them. They have served society for a long time and will continue to do so. I've made my living making the electronic versions you rely on so I appreciate their limitations probably as well as anyone.

And frankly if someone carrying several hundred dollars worth of Cuben gear approached me on the trail to ask me for directions or to look at my map with their dead cell phone in hand I would laugh at them and them charge them a very steep user fee.

Good luck.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: on 06/12/2013 21:54:08 MDT Print View

I didn't see a stove, the ursack isn't allowed in most of the sierra, I would bring a map, no iPhone and would skip the bivy. How do you fit all that stuff in the whisper? Seems like with food and water you would be up to 20#. "Pack less, be more"
I would like to see a spreadsheet with weights.

Or... You could put the cot in a hammock with a Xtherm on it inside a bivy inside a Golite SL 3 that's inside a HMG ultamid 4

Edited by KalebC on 06/12/2013 22:04:08 MDT.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
PCT on 06/12/2013 22:24:13 MDT Print View

Yes bring a map, the cell phone will not have coverage everywhere.
(Pacific Crest National scenic trail plastic map is 5.6 oz)
I thought the whisper backpack was made by Gossamer Gear and was 2200 cu.
But maybe I'm just not familar with the pack you are using.
If and when I finally do the PCT then I'll take a HMG porter or Zpack Arc Blast.
ditch the cot and get an neoair mattress or a Thermarest RidgeRest Solar.
Rent a bearikade bear canister etc

Most important of all, Plan your food and food drops.

Take your gear out on several weekend trips and find out what works best for you.
What's comfortable and what comforts you could do without.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Am I forgetting anything for a Sierra trip? on 06/12/2013 22:26:54 MDT Print View

I'm becoming more and more convinced this is a gag thread for the OP's amusement.
Stuck on assignment in some remote location . . .
or more actually, schools out and no plans for summer . . .

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Not my world on 06/13/2013 06:22:30 MDT Print View

"Why are those snarks even on computers?"

That is the world we live in now bros.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

backpack on 06/13/2013 07:45:57 MDT Print View

LOL I just went back and looked at your gear list. Before I had no clue what backpack you were talking about.. but, know that I've found it(finally) there is no way you will get all that gear in that pack with food and water.

Ps. seems kind of odd that you don't remember the name of the cottage gear company you bought you backpack from...... Cause it wasn't SMD.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
11 pounds...really?? on 06/13/2013 16:40:37 MDT Print View

I just don't see how that is possible.....

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: 11 pounds...really?? on 06/14/2013 09:54:10 MDT Print View

"I just don't see how that is possible....."

With the gear he listed its not possible. He is at 6lbs with just the cot, sleeping bag, usack and backpack. But the backpack thing is really suspect kind of like the whole initial post(the more I read it).

and he is also going to carry and ipod,iphone and charger thats another pound atleast. Hell you havent even made it to his shelter, cloths and abundance of head gear hahaha...

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: on 06/14/2013 16:44:18 MDT Print View

So FYI, bro, I work in what is basically a high tech silicon valley start-up, and I could probably hit Apple (and often would like to) with a rock. I'm *making* the technology. And I'm still saying - first bring a map and learn how to use it - horizontally as well as vertically. I'd personally be embarrassed bringing a lot of gadgetry into the wilderness anyway. Don't be like one of those 10 or so a year that drive onto some dead end quicksand road in death Valley (this is all new btw, with the introduction of this fabulous technology) and get stuck in the middle of nowhere because Siri told'em to. Whoopse! Siri missed the giant sign saying road closed in 1956.

If I catch you on the PCT and you take a call on your cell phone while I'm giving you directions because you have no map I'm gonna be pissed. LOL

All that aside, this:

http://www.flixxy.com/the-paperless-future-emma.htm

Edited by millonas on 06/14/2013 16:53:13 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: PCT on 06/14/2013 17:02:24 MDT Print View

"I thought the whisper backpack was made by Gossamer Gear and was 2200 cu."

Yeah I did a double take because I have one of those hanging in my closet and it is 3.5 oz. But then I was wondering if it was just a common enough name. I mean how many words mean really, really, really light?

Either way, I'd still like to see a picture of just that cot in any 11 oz bag. Guess you don't have to worry about a suspension system! Ba-da-bump. I'm here all week.

Anyway, it is an interesting kit, no question.

Edited by millonas on 06/14/2013 17:05:59 MDT.