Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Daughter's first overnight backpack: Olympic National Park Coast

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kris Sherwood
(Tuskadero) - F

Locale: Washington State
Daughter's first overnight backpack: Olympic National Park Coast on 06/09/2013 22:01:30 MDT Print View

I spent this last weekend with my 5 year old daughter Gillian on her very first overnight backpacking trip. It was long overdue. I have been meaning to get her in to the backcountry for a year now but it has not happened due to a bunch of pesky factors. But this was a perfect first time out and well worth the wait.

We hiked from the Ozette ranger station the 3.1 miles out to Cape Alava. I was really worried about the weather. When we arrived at the trailhead we were in a steady rain. I did not want her first experience to be sitting in a tent for 48 hours listening to the rain come down. But alas, by the time we reached camp, the sun had come out and we had blue skies from Friday evening thru Sunday when we left.

We were joined by my buddy Jon and his 7 year old Owen. The highlights of the trip were the weather, the Native American petroglyphs and of course 3 amazing days with my girl. She rocked the trail and the camp, never a complaint and loved every minute of it. I am very proud of her. And she told me I am the best hiker in the world today on the drive home!!

Here are some pics.
Alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

alava

Edited by Tuskadero on 06/09/2013 22:03:20 MDT.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Re: Daughter's first overnight backpack: Olympic National Park Coast on 06/09/2013 22:08:30 MDT Print View

Great story, our daughters still talk about their first backpacking trip (at about 7 years old) and they are now in their early 20's.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Daughter's first overnight backpack: Olympic National Park Coast on 06/09/2013 22:49:26 MDT Print View

You're a great dad. Good getting your daughter "infected" early.

I was going to ask if you saw any bald eagles, but there's a picture of one. I've gone there maybe half dozen times and usually see some bald eagles.

I usually go in the winter when there are few people. Many people there when you were there?

Kris Sherwood
(Tuskadero) - F

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: Daughter's first overnight backpack: Olympic National Park Coast on 06/09/2013 23:01:32 MDT Print View

Jerry, we had the place all to ourselves Friday evening. By Saturday afternoon there were maybe 4 other groups camping. But we went to a camp about as far north up beach as you could go and didn't feel anyone around us.

We must have seen well over a dozen eagles. In fact we were about 50 yards from 4 of them feeding on a seal carcass.

It is an easy hike, but its a special place.

Jim H
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
Great report on 06/10/2013 08:42:15 MDT Print View

I've introduced a couple friends to backpacking on that trail. It really is an amazing spot. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
First Overnight Backpack on 06/10/2013 08:53:24 MDT Print View

Kris,

Thanks for posting - I have four daughters and posts like this always make me happy to be a member of this site.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Wonderful! on 06/10/2013 14:18:49 MDT Print View

Great report! The first of many, I can tell! I find seeing it all through their eyes to be far more gratifying then using my own. A true gift. Good for you!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Daughter's first overnight backpack: Olympic National Park Coast on 06/15/2013 20:21:51 MDT Print View

"I spent this last weekend with my 5 year old daughter Gillian on her very first overnight backpacking trip. It was long overdue."

It couldn't be too many years overdue, but I'm sure she enjoyed herself based on the photos.