Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
how to cut coffee weight
Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: coffee storage on 06/09/2013 09:22:04 MDT Print View

Plastic absorbs odors, you really need a glass jar.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: coffee storage on 06/09/2013 09:25:22 MDT Print View

No issue with my 20 year old lexan jar. Glass, You're funny.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 09:36:49 MDT Print View

I find this to be a happy medium between drinking commie via coffee and flossing coffee grounds out of my teeth. Total weight is 1.5 oz.

I use a french press at home (wheech expleens thees reediculous accent oui oui) and find that the quality of coffee to be on par with cowboy coffee.... a french cowboy if you will.

.coffee

In all honesty I do drink freeze dried coffee and I much prefer Trader Joes to Via.

EDIT Ok so my picture quality and size needs some improvement.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 06/09/2013 09:40:00 MDT.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 10:00:56 MDT Print View

I add it (any freeze dried brand) to my granola before I leave home.

I consume coffee for the caffeine. Don't care about the taste.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: If it's just caffeine... on 06/09/2013 10:18:08 MDT Print View

> You can get 100 200mg caffeine pills for $6 on Amazon. This is the same amount of caffeine in 16oz of coffee.

Each pill provides the same amount of caffeine..?
(The effects of 100x200 would make the paper)
:^)

I didn't know about the Crystal stuff.
Still need to get out more.

Edited by Tan68 on 06/09/2013 10:27:42 MDT.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 10:19:07 MDT Print View

The image of Tanner, trembling fingers, tearing open the Nescafe packet to lick the dust... not that we love our coffee!

My wife and I roast our own coffee at home and I really like a cup of "Vitamin C" in the morning, although I am a cream & sugar guy. For backpacking, we've found the "everything tastes better at altitude" thing to apply to coffee as well (ever try MH meals at home?) and we've tried several different methods of taking our own grounds with us. With all of those, I don't like the mess or the volume of grounds I have to carry -- and I am not about to bury aromatic coffee grounds.

So, we switched to freeze-dried coffee and tried Taster's Choice, Mt. Hagen, Starbucks Via and Trader Joe's. With Trader Joe's, we tried the "black" version and the cream & sugar version (black appears to be discontinued), and found it to be the best of the bunch in terms of flavor. I love the price, I love the flavor and I make it a little richer than the recipe by using a tad less water, as one might with Mountain House...

So, it's the lightweight, single-serving TRADER JOE that wins for us.

Morning coffee in the High Sierra

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re:Trader Joes on 06/09/2013 10:24:02 MDT Print View

Closet one is 150+ miles away. Good thing for the internet. I'll have to give it a go.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 10:26:42 MDT Print View

> I find this to be a happy medium between drinking commie via coffee and flossing coffee grounds out of my teeth. Total weight is 1.5 oz.

What is it? A light, plastic press?

It is hard to judge scale, I figure it is on a chopping block surface? Although it is a bit of illusion it could be on a wooden floor !?

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 10:30:11 MDT Print View

Tanner, I've seen that thing at REI: it's a gravity filter.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 10:35:02 MDT Print View

I'm going to have to try some of these out. Over the past decade or so I have gradually drifted into total coffee snobdom. I have an expensive espresso machine, starbucks now makes me almost literally gag, and I even started roasting my own beans a few year back.

Fortunately everything tastes better eaten outdoors. I first realized this when I was 7 and noted that PB&Js at the beach tasted much better, even with sand added, than they did inside. Strange. Anyway, I don't bemoan the fact I am drinking some sort of instant swill while backpacking - must be distracted by the scenery. I have even sunk so low as to bring carnation "international" instant coffees - you know the ones with names like "Orange Cappuccino". Ugh! *shivers uncontrollably"* I had pretty much given up on the whole issue, but you guys make we want to try some new strategies - to raise myself out of the gutter. To be a better person!

Edited by millonas on 06/09/2013 10:37:12 MDT.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
I live for my coffee in the morning. on 06/09/2013 10:37:41 MDT Print View

I use the MSR coffee filter and just leave the cap at home. Without the cap the filter weighs .65 oz. (I can also use this to filter large particles from water for either the Sawyer squeeze or Steripen depending on the trip) I do carry an evernew mug that is 1.8 oz which I also use for tea at the end of the day. I grind my beans just as I leave the house and everything works out pretty good, much better than the Via stuff as I just do not like the taste of Starbucks. To each his own, but this is what works for me

http://www.campist.com/archives/msr-mugmate-coffeetea-filter.html

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re:Coffee the Redeemer on 06/09/2013 10:43:16 MDT Print View

Mark. It is not too late!

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re:Coffee the Redeemer on 06/09/2013 10:53:54 MDT Print View

I recently succumbed and bought a jetboil. I was thinking of trying out the French press attachment, but one or more of the reviewers on amazon said it sucked as a French press. Has anyone tried this, and does it work OK? Would save some weight over the aeropress. Maybe it could be modded to make it more hard core. Then I could bring my own self-roasted beans!

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: If it's just caffeine... on 06/09/2013 11:00:28 MDT Print View

You gotta watch out for the Crystal lite Energy. We called it crystal crack. I don't know if it was the caffeine or the sugar or some mystery ingredient but it reduced a group of relatively able bodied thru hikers into to a bunch of night-hiking twitchy tweekers.

Edited by cfrey.0 on 06/09/2013 11:03:01 MDT.

Eli Zabielski
(ezabielski) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: Re: If it's just caffeine... on 06/09/2013 11:16:54 MDT Print View

>Each pill provides the same amount of caffeine..?
>(The effects of 100x200 would make the paper)
>:^)

Presumably, each pill is 200mg of pure caffeine (that's what the product claims). A 16oz cup of coffee has about that much caffeine.

Eli Zabielski
(ezabielski) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: Re: Re:Coffee the Redeemer on 06/09/2013 11:18:51 MDT Print View

>I was thinking of trying out the French press attachment, but one or more of the >reviewers on amazon said it sucked as a French press. Has anyone tried this, and does >it work OK?

I was pretty disappointed. The "gasket" to create a good seal between the attachment and the cup is just lame plastic that lets A LOT of grounds through. It's not like a rubber ring in most French presses.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 11:41:48 MDT Print View

The tear and tap on tongue method uses more energy. The wrench method is direct application.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 11:50:57 MDT Print View

> you know the ones with names like "Orange Cappuccino". Ugh! *shivers uncontrollably"*

I drank one of those Orange kind. It was mailed to our house as a free sample/promotion. This was when 3-speed Gremlins were new. Down the road, we had to pull that thing over so I could vomit. I don't think I was otherwise sick; after clearing my gut once, I was fine.

On another note, wouldn't the pictured gravity filter serve the same purpose as a press? Both trap grounds..?

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re:Coffee the Redeemer on 06/09/2013 11:55:43 MDT Print View

So while lurking on the REI and Amazon reviews - which are unfortunately not so specific and obsessive as ones here - I have been able to determine that press from the Bodrum "8-cup" french press filter is a perfect fit for the jetboil. Now I've got my micrometer out on my jetboil and hoping I can get the measurements on the Bodrums somewhere. Perhaps that would be an ideal solution - buy a different, high quality french press and cannibalize the press portion for use in the jetboil.

At any rate, FP is the closest I'm going to get to my beloved espresso I think - unless someone know of a titanium mocha pot maker.

Edit: humm looks like inner diameter 3 3/4" on my sol ti.

Muhaha! Here is the relevant part: http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/01-1508-16-613/

Looks at all the presses it fits! Also the filters are replaceable!

Here we go 94 mm inner diameter. Perfect. I'll try to find one to cannibalize and let you know how it works.

http://thecoffeemachinelondon.co.uk/webshop/?k=7&t=36&p=840&Produkt=Reserve%20glass%20for%208%20cup/1l%20French%20press

Edited by millonas on 06/09/2013 12:08:46 MDT.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Before Via there was Pods on 06/09/2013 13:08:26 MDT Print View

For years now I have taken coffee pods and boiled two or three to make about 16-24 ounces. They work well. But SB's Via, it's just so ... well ... easy. It's the new norm. If I roasted my own beans (who has time?) I would probably bring just the screen portion of the MSR filter.