Forum Index » GEAR » how to cut coffee weight

Display Avatars Sort By:
Martin Ellenberger
(martellenberger) - M
how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 03:45:31 MDT Print View

I'm looking to see what everyone uses for their coffee setups to see if I can cut some ounces off mine. I use a plastic French press mug, it weighs 8oz and I don't have to carry anything other than that and my cook pot.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 03:56:09 MDT Print View

(looks both ways, ducks and covers)

starbucks via

Philip Marshall
(philthy) - MLife
you probably want to read this on 06/09/2013 05:09:23 MDT Print View

Mike Clelland's article on backpacking coffee techniques.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coffee_beautiful_cup.html#.UbRhyRaTBhA

Unfortunately this was written before Starbucks Via was on the market - I think it is my preferred trail coffee method when camping with 1 or 2. When camping in bigger groups I'll think about bringing a proper coffee brewing method

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
+1 VIA on 06/09/2013 05:22:23 MDT Print View

No comparison.

Only downside is the price.

It reminds me of Esbit vs Alcohol. Esbit is the best, but it's expensive.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Trader joes!!!! on 06/09/2013 06:08:12 MDT Print View

Makes an awesome instant coffee single, packaged just like the via, but includes cream and sugar!! For those of us who partake in such blasephemy, of course...

$2 for 10. Love them!!!

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: trader joes on 06/09/2013 06:22:14 MDT Print View

The Trader Joes instant coffee is more cream than coffee - far too weak for me. Go with Via or Via Iced!

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 06:35:32 MDT Print View

Community Instant Dark Roast, repackaged into a flip-top plastic container. It's good coffee, and no extra trash from single-serve packets, just add to hot water in my cook pot.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: coffee weight on 06/09/2013 07:04:46 MDT Print View

Via is crap. It's main redeeming feature is that it's not bad cold, and thus good for light and fast and/or no cook trips.

If you're taking the time to make hot coffee do it right and make cowboy coffee. Lots of espresso grounds in cold water, just boil, let sit, tap to settle, pour.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Via on 06/09/2013 07:26:29 MDT Print View

Ah, you're coffee snob, Dave. Via is fine. I buy several 6-packs of Starbucks' Christmas blend when they sell them at half price in early February. That sets me up for the summer, on the cheap. Not quite as tasty as the Italian Via, but affordable.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Coffee on 06/09/2013 07:39:42 MDT Print View

The best way to cut weight on coffee is to just forgo it. That is my usual approach for the backcountry. It has the benefit that when I get to towns along the way or get back home the coffee tastes so good!

When I do bother with coffee in the back country I take Via and think it is fine. I am normally a Charbucks hater, but think Via is good. Different strokes though.

BTW: For those who like cream in their coffee, Nido powder is a great substitute.

Steve Martell
(Steve) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Washington
+2 VIA on 06/09/2013 07:45:14 MDT Print View

Another vote for Starbucks VIA--better and lighter (IMHO) than all other options I've tried.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 07:53:12 MDT Print View

Cut weight elsewhere. I've seen the look on other campers faces when they all bought Via, decaf, ugh. I had real grounds and real sugar. Like hungry wolves.

Coffee is too important. Take Dave's advice.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: how to cut coffee weight on 06/09/2013 08:00:50 MDT Print View

Caffeinolics Anonymous!...kidding.

scree ride
(scree)
can't help on 06/09/2013 08:06:40 MDT Print View

I use an Aeropress.
8.3 ounces with a metal filter. Excellent coffee with hot, not boiling, water. Less fuel than cowboy coffee. Not a lot different from a traditional press. Better filtration. Much easier to clean.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: re: coffee weight on 06/09/2013 08:55:20 MDT Print View

David Chenault > If you're taking the time to make hot coffee do it right and make cowboy coffee. Lots of espresso grounds in cold water, just boil, let sit, tap to settle, pour.

This is pretty much what what you get with the French press. Lacks a strainer but it can be worked around.

When I took coffee, I boiled water used an old yogurt cup to hold a coffee filter and strain. At the time, it didn't occur to me to not use a filter. In the end, I don't take coffee.

I haven't heard of S'bucks VIA. I don't get out much... "Tear open a pack of Starbucks VIA® coffee and you’re halfway to the magical moment that only a great cup of coffee can create."

I suppose I could carry a packet with 1st Aid stuff in case I need to wrench open a pack.

Oh, gosh. I remember Nescafe in school. Trying to mix it with hot water from a tap. Finally licking a little bit of the powder. I wish I hadn't just dredged up that memory...

Eli Zabielski
(ezabielski) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
If it's just caffeine... on 06/09/2013 08:57:05 MDT Print View

If you are just looking for caffeine for energy or to avoid caffeine withdraw (headaches), you can use caffeine pills or Crystal Light Energy.

You can get 100 200mg caffeine pills for $6 on Amazon. This is the same amount of caffeine in 16oz of coffee. Keep in mind that most people probably regard caffeine as a diuretic, so you need to drink more water.

Crystal Light Energy packets are the same as Via packets, and weigh 2g each, with 120g of caffeine in them. This automatically helps with the diuretic effects since it's less caffeine, and mixed in with 16oz of water.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re: coffee weight on 06/09/2013 09:16:50 MDT Print View

To get proper coffee you have to grind it just before brewing, so you should bring a grinder too.

I just use "Taster's Choice" freeze dried which is maybe not quite as bad as some other instant coffees.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

coffee storage on 06/09/2013 09:20:19 MDT Print View

I keep my grounds in a old school lexan Nalgene 4oz screw top jar. No odor gets out. Grounds stay fresh. Ziploc aint gonna work.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Coffee on 06/09/2013 09:20:23 MDT Print View

I'm with Pete. Leave it at home. Go without.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Coffee on 06/09/2013 09:20:55 MDT Print View

Savage.