November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ideal SUL cook kit for Foster's Pot?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Drew Jay

Locale: Central Coast
Ideal SUL cook kit for Foster's Pot? on 06/08/2013 17:26:17 MDT Print View

Guys, I've put together what I think is the ideal SUL cook kit for Foster's pots:

SUL esbit setup 1

SUL esbit setup 2

SUL esbit setup 3

I thought about ordering a GVP or making a Caldera Clone, but I wanted to be able to roll the vulnerable Foster's pot up in the windscreen for protection. So I made a windscreen inspired by the Flat Cat Snow Leopard. With the pot rolled inside the windscreen, the whole package is pretty sturdy.

The performance so far has been excellent. It boiled 2 full cups of cold tap water plus one dissolved ice cube in 7:10 @ 50 degrees, and 6:10 and 5:40 @ 75 degrees (air temperature.) All three boils left appx. 4 grams of the 14 gram tab unburnt. I combined the (2) unburnt remainders and very nearly boiled two more cups. That's six cups of water for tea or meals on 1 ounce of esbit!

The pot, lid, burner, ground shield, ziplock and rubber band together weigh 2.4 ounces. For those that don't use ti stakes with their shelter, a pot stand could be substituted .

Next I will try the Brian Green esbit tray design, I'm curious how that will affect the boil times and efficiency.

For the full rundown:

gunk on 06/08/2013 18:27:14 MDT Print View

IMO, the foster pot is too fragile to get covered with sticky gunky mess from esbit.

Drew Jay

Gunk on 06/08/2013 18:39:18 MDT Print View

The Zelph flat bottom pot cleans up very easily. Wipe it off after it has cooled a bit and there never is a sticky gunky mess.

Edited by drewjh on 06/08/2013 18:41:26 MDT.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
quick question on 07/29/2013 03:46:43 MDT Print View

Hi Drew,

What is the windshield made from?

Thank you

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
nice on 08/30/2013 10:29:48 MDT Print View

This is great! Would love to make one of these.

Drew Jay

Materials on 09/03/2013 21:57:27 MDT Print View

Thanks guys. The windscreen is made from aluminum flashing from Home Depot.